Moving to Northern Ireland/Occupied 6/6 Counties/Your Wee Country/Ulster

Started by thejuice, April 18, 2011, 02:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Please choose to ignore the terms in the Multi-cultural title that you don't like.

Myself and herself are currently living in England but we're thinking of moving back over the water. One of the requirements for work is that we live within an hours drive of either of the Belfast Airports. With that in mind could anyone recommend some nice towns or villages to live.

We were recently visiting South Down around the Mournes/Carlingford but sadly that seems too far away. Would also want to avoid living right in the middle of a town, hoping to get a wee bit of land too.

Now I know the prospect of getting good Meath stock into your counties (not looking at anyone of ye in particular.............Tyrone) will excite ye all but please keep the flattery to a minimum.

Thanks.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Denn Forever

How about somewhere in Meath?  Near Dublin Airport with the many Ryanair flights to various area of Britain.

Just a thought.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Ulick

We've been looking for somewhere similar but also south of Belfast to help with our frequent runs to Wexford. So far we've narrowed it to around:

Loughbrickland (40 min)
Drumantine (50 mins)
Ballyward (1 hour)
Leitrim (1 hour)
Finnis (40 mins)

AQMP

Was going to say come to Antrim, juice but since we bet you a couple of weeks ago, don't want you diluting the stock!  Did you ever play any hurling??

An hour's drive from Belfast International (it'll always be Aldergrove to me) could take you right and far in the wee six

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 18, 2011, 03:06:57 PM
How about somewhere in Meath?  Near Dublin Airport with the many Ryanair flights to various area of Britain.

Just a thought.

:D :D :D

thejuice

Denn, Tommy and other smart arses alike take note,

Herself works for easyjet who do not operate out of Dublin.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

mountainboii

Carlingford wouldn't be a kick in the arse more than an hour from Belfast.

brokencrossbar1

Moved back to the north to Rostrevor and have to say you can't beat it with a big stick. You would be in the 2 Belfast airports and Dublin airport in less than 1 hour 20mins.  You are close to the border and would be in meath very quickly.

tommysmith

Quote from: thejuice on April 18, 2011, 03:18:12 PM
Denn, Tommy and other smart arses alike take note,

Calm down I was laughing at Denn.

Kerry Mike

QuoteDenn, Tommy and other smart arses alike take note,

I guess that just about rules out Kerry International Airport as well.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Hardy

Quote from: AFS on April 18, 2011, 03:21:40 PM

Carlingford is in Louth!

Banana Man

Carlingford would be a disaster - wee narrow road into Newry, then negotiate the traffic round newry centre before you are even on the A1. Would take ages if traffic was bad or a bomb scare for example AFS. Would be a lovely part of the world but too far out.

Loughbrickland, Banbridge, Glenn - Anywhere around there, as they all back onto the A1 so handy for north and south to Belfast and back to Meath.

Land would still be scarce enough in this area though i.e. no 10 acre jobs but possible to get a nice cheap detached rural house with a big garden etc, depends how much land you are after....

Brick Tamlin

Carlingford
Omeath,
Newry,
Rostrevor
Warrenpoint
Banbridge
Loughbrickland
Annaclone
All on the main north-to-south corridor and easily accessible for both citys and the airports.
Read that South Down was reported to be one of the most sought-after areas for people to settle in these days.

mountainboii

Quote from: Banana Man on April 18, 2011, 03:27:23 PM

Carlingford would be a disaster - wee narrow road into Newry, then negotiate the traffic round newry centre before you are even on the A1. Would take ages if traffic was bad or a bomb scare for example AFS. Would be a lovely part of the world but too far out.

Why would you go near Newry?

Ulick

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 18, 2011, 03:29:29 PM
Carlingford
Omeath,
Newry,
Rostrevor
Warrenpoint
Banbridge
Loughbrickland
Annaclone
All on the main north-to-south corridor and easily accessible for both citys and the airports.
Read that South Down was reported to be one of the most sought-after areas for people to settle in these days.

No harm to you BT but you are never making any of your first 5 within an hour even without factoring in rush hour traffic in and out of Belfast. I've timed them all.