Tyrone v Monaghan - Sun 5 June - UCQF

Started by tyroneman, April 16, 2011, 09:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Tyrone won 1-13 to 1-11

*Correct lamh dhearg my mistake.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Lamh Dhearg Alba

1-13 to 1-11. Plenty of work to be done for the next day.

Rois

Let me be the first to say it, Brian Dooher should not have been allowed to stay on the pitch for the entire match. Did more bad than good.
What happened Sean Cav in the second half??
McGuigan a bright spark though. Jordan also would have been a big loss if he hadn't been there.
Inconsistent ref, wet weather and plain bad football from both made it an ugly game to watch.

orangeman

It will be a very, very sad day that these Tyrone lads who have been around Mickey Harte from 1997 onwards hang up the boots and I know I'm biased but Brian Mc Guigan has been and still is an an out and out genius, one of the best footballers of at least his generation and who is playing some phenomenal football this year.

Other men who were earlier in the year after a relatively speaking insignificant league defeat labelled as being too old and over the hill excelled today and showed that whilst form may be temporary, class is permanent.

What an absoloute joy it has been to have lived through the times that Mickey and this team have provided.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Take Your Points on June 05, 2011, 05:31:17 PM
Interesting accusation from the Monaghan manager about the referee during his interview with Radio Ulster, a poor bit of interviewing not to follow up such a comment.

What accusation did he make? Something to do with Mugsy's 'challenge' on Walshe? Although I didn't see exactly what happened there I'm pretty sure the ref was communicating to the players that him nor the linesman seen it.

Think you're a bit harsh on the game there Rois. I thought it was enjoyable considering the conditions which were horrendous. Never been at a game with such an amount of rainfall. On that note, fair play to the groundsmen the pitch was in 1st class condition. From where I was there appeared to be no standing water at all and although very slippy the surface remained firm.

You're on the money re Dooher Rois. I counted five continuous posessions given away by Dooher in the 2nd half alone. He contributed very little from open play and got turned over quite a bit. Couldn't believe that he lasted the full 70. BTW I'm not saying
he's finished but he clearly isn't a 70 minute man any longer, especially with guys like Coney etc chomping at the bit to get experience.

I will post more later but to finish off on a high, congrats to Mark Donnelly and Stephen O'Neill who both put in great shifts with SoN scoring a couple of classics and Sparkies direct running causing all sorts of bother.

1st prize in the silliest man in Healy park has to go to Dick Clerkin. What the he'll was he thinking? Fair enough you can give your opponent a bit of a wrestle/roughing up to let him know you're there but Dick took the biscuit by doing this over and over directly in frot of the officials and his thinking for second yellow defies logic. Bad form for a captain.

aontroim

Healy Park looks like it needs a good dose of 20-10-10 to green it up a bit (despite the amount of shite that was played on it today  :D)

tyroneman

Well. What a curates egg of a game.

Tyrone were sublime playing early ball into SoN and Donnelly who both roasted their men all day long. When we started the possession play however we slowed the game down way too much and let Monaghan regroup and turn us over.

Packie 6 - poor kickouts not a lot else to do
Swift - 7 decent. Did what he had to. Little fuss
McCarron 5 - ticked early and hooked soon after.
Ricey 7 - swept up well broke up the field as often as he could solid.
Davy 6  - poor. Not involved enough. Turned over too easily
Block 8 - immense.
Jordan 7 - productive tidy and played a solid game.
Cass 6 - nothing spectacular
Sean 7 - started well and faded in second half, poor free taking at times
Dooher 5 - really poor by his standards. Slow and gave the ball away more than anyOne else. Fair play he always wanted it but just a bad day at the office. Pace gOne.
Brian 8 - first class. Involved in everything good
Penrose 6 - another quiet day. Shocking bad penalty. Rightly subbed
SoN 8 - excellent. Won everything hit into him and scored some sublime points off either foot
Donnelly 8 - excellent also great turns and a good burst of speed. Should keep his place. Will be a disgrace if he doesn't
Harte 5 - oh dear.  Poor. 2 good 45s but overall awful. Backed out of tackles and what was he thinking when ball in hand,  20 yards out, no defenders and he simply panics and kicks high and wide.

Carlin 5 - poor. Should have just let ball go out of play but kept it in and penalty resulted
Colm 7 -  did well enough. Won ball and used it intelligently into the forwards.
Hub 6 -  solid but not a big impact
Red Sean 6 - ok. Nothing spectacular.
Mugsy 7 - good impact. Composed.

Ref was poor today. Inconsistent, never let play flow and gave frees for nothing all day long. Poor decisions too such as Jordan gettting clipped by Golloghy and gets a yellow while Golloghy gets subbed off and no card. Also booked Penrose for simulation when he was clearly smacked in the face. 1 yard from the ref.

Tyrone made very hard work of it but were always the better team. If Penrose had bagged the penalty. Game over early but hey ho. Good to have plenty to work on I guess.

Have to say Monaghan set their stall out early with the dirt. Clerkin can have NO complaints. Got away with murder behind the refs back on Cavanagh. All over the pitch they were digging off the ball with no interest in playing football.

hsthompson

Monaghan's two corner backs were only interested in mouthing and slapping, fair play to the forwards for not reacting. They looked pretty pathetic with their behaviour

imtommygunn

Brian McGuigan looks seriously strong there - breaks every tackle. O'Neill still some player too - be interesting to see what he does on a drier day.

Monaghan's no. 2 looks like a sc**bag and no. 4 not far behind them. Seem very reliant on 3 or 4 players.

Funniest moment had to be Sean Cavanagh claiming to the ref about the Monaghan no. 12 diving- pot kettle black sean...

Doubt, even though Tyrone slowed up second half, anyone will beat them in ulster.

Doohicky

Looking likely that Mugsy will get away with with his slap.

Doesn't seem to have been caught on camera.

imtommygunn

Tyrone's goal was a funny one - if O'Neill hadn't been taken out he;d have been given the ball back and was covered... Monaghan taking him out backfired.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Doohicky on June 05, 2011, 08:34:18 PM
Looking likely that Mugsy will get away with with his slap.

Doesn't seem to have been caught on camera.

It's a strange one as himself and Walshe had a warm embrace on the final whistle. I suppose what happens on the pitch stays there. From where I was Mone can have no compliants, plus he did it right in front of the officials.

Monaghan have taken the dark arts to a new level. I know it might be a bit hypocritical when we have Ricey acting the buck but about half the Monaghan men were continually slabbering/digging especially their No 2 on SoN. Although funny watching O'Neill looking quite perplexed by all his attention.

RandyDupree

How come there were at least 3 occasions of men being caught around the neck, one of which resulted in a straight red but another one were no card was issued except to penrose who was the person fouled?

tyroneman

QuoteInsert Quote
How come there were at least 3 occasions of men being caught around the neck, one of which resulted in a straight red but another one were no card was issued except to penrose who was the person fouled?

Because the ref was very very poor and totally inconsistent today. Simples.

I always worry when a ref signals a penalty by running to the spot and doing a little hop, skip and jump before flinging his arms wide.
QuoteMonaghan have taken the dark arts to a new level. I know it might be a bit hypocritical when we have Ricey acting the buck but about half the Monaghan men were continually slabbering/digging especially their No 2 on SoN. Although funny watching O'Neill looking quite perplexed by all his attention.

I have seen the red mist descend on SoN before and no doubt Monaghan were trying to provoke a reaction. Shame they had to resort to that sort of sh@te from the first whistle.

GTB

To be fair to Dooher I thought he led by example and was a calming influence in some hot headed occasions, some amount of slobbering from some of the Monaghan backs more interested in the wind up than in playing football.

Brian Mc was immense for me today so too Gormely and SON, did anony else think Jordan looked a bit laboured - is he carrying an injury does anyone know?