Champions league Semi-Finals

Started by new devil, April 13, 2011, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paco

Mourinho will obviously use the sending off to deflect attention from his negative tactics. The better team won and the scoreline wasn't flattering at all, hundreds of millions were spent on this team and all they could manage tonight were a few set piece opportunities. What's the point of buying Ronaldo, Di Maria, Ozil etc if the manager is just going to have them standing with their hands on their hips on the halfway line? So much for Mourinho's mind games.

laoislad

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 27, 2011, 09:55:31 PM
Has to be the end of Mourinho at R.Madrid after one year! he'll probably be the Man City manager next season.

or back to Chelski
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bogball XV

Quote from: paco on April 27, 2011, 09:59:14 PM
Mourinho will obviously use the sending off to deflect attention from his negative tactics. The better team won and the scoreline wasn't flattering at all, hundreds of millions were spent on this team and all they could manage tonight were a few set piece opportunities. What's the point of buying Ronaldo, Di Maria, Ozil etc if the manager is just going to have them standing with their hands on their hips on the halfway line? So much for Mourinho's mind games.
After the 5-0 he knows the limitations of his side compared to Barcelona.  The last two times they played Barce he did exactly the same as tonight, they drew one and won one (aet), in his opinion then the best way was to try the same again.  It didn't work out, but they could easily have managed another 0-0 tonight. 
Man for man there probably isn't that huge a gulf, but Messi is so far above anyone else on the planet right now, that it's to Mourinho's credit that he didn't have him taken out of the game (I wonder would Fergie consider that option).

paco

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 27, 2011, 10:14:07 PM
Quote from: paco on April 27, 2011, 09:59:14 PM
After the 5-0 he knows the limitations of his side compared to Barcelona.  The last two times they played Barce he did exactly the same as tonight, they drew one and won one (aet), in his opinion then the best way was to try the same again.  It didn't work out, but they could easily have managed another 0-0 tonight. 
Man for man there probably isn't that huge a gulf, but Messi is so far above anyone else on the planet right now, that it's to Mourinho's credit that he didn't have him taken out of the game (I wonder would Fergie consider that option).

I agree with this part, but surely if there was ever a time to get at Barcelona it was tonight. They've looked very tired in recent weeks and Puyol has played twice since January, surely he should have been getting the ball to Ronaldo's feet every time. In the press conference he's claimed that he was intending to play a number 10 behind 3 forwards, but the ref "didn't allow it." We'll never know, but I can't imagine Mourinho doing something like that.

gallsman

Quote from: tyroneman on April 27, 2011, 09:27:31 PM
UEFA determined to get barca to final. Sending off of pepe was disgrace.

Jesus Christ wise up. Uefa determined to get them there, Spanish Federation concealing doping etc.

Mourinho got it very, very badly wrong, both in the press conference and on the pitch. The last day and a half focused on Pep "cracking up" and "losing it" rather than the changing of the guard stories that had been on the go since the Copa del Rey final last week. He knew exactly what he was at tonight - yes players like Alves, Busquets and Pedro go down easily and Barca hound players for cards, but tonight was so exaggerated it had to be an intentional tactic. In no way admirable, but it worked and had the Madrid players cracking up. Should also be noted that these are all favourite tactics of a certain Jose Mourinho.

None of that though should cover up the fact that Jose sent his team out the exact same way as he did last week. No striker, Pepe in centre mid and Xabi Alonso playing very deep worked last week - just. Madrid deserved the Copa win for an outstanding defensive display, but it shouldn't be overlooked that Barca completely outplayed them for large portions of the match and for 25 minutes in the 2nd half Barca simply toyed with them and ripped them apart. To think he could get away with it again was unbelievably naive.

As for Messi, what else can you say?

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Main Street

Pep played it cautious by Barca's standards of caution. The back 4 didn't roam. I think Puyol only crossed the half way line once and Alves stayed well back. They weren't going to get done over by Jose for a second time in a row a CL semi final 1st leg.

ONeill

Imagine if Rooney has scored that second goal. The wedding on Friday would be cancelled.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mylestheslasher

You would have to catch messi first to take him out. I'm guessing its been tried already. Also interesting that he never bothers with diving or feigning injury like a lot of those other tools.

Blowitupref

According to Eamon Dunphy only Maradona or George Best would have scored that 2nd goal tonight.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

clarshack

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 27, 2011, 10:46:14 PM
According to Eamon Dunphy only Maradona or George Best would have scored that 2nd goal tonight.

he's probably right.

Minder

Only one team tried to play, as regards the red card, if your studs are showing you risk getting sent off. I just hope all the post match analysis centres on te brilliant second goal by Messi, but I have a feelin it will be all about Mourinho, which let's face it, would disappoint him if it didn't.

Must be a few on here that are rippin that they can't now say Guardiola "lost the plot" and his "rant" cost Barca as Mourinho chuckles at his Jedi mind tricks in the background.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Quote from: clarshack on April 27, 2011, 10:54:38 PM

he's probably right.

Bendtner scores goals like that in his head every day.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Not Roy Keane??

under the bar

QuoteAccording to Eamon Dunphy only Maradona or George Best would have scored that 2nd goal tonight.

He's obviously never seen Paddy McCourt then