USFC Qtr Final - Armagh V Down - Athletic Grounds 28th May 7:30pm

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 13, 2011, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Dont no why some of yas are surprised that Dan McCartan is starting, he was always going to be there or there abouts, who were yas expecting to start.

John Clarke is a different matter, shocked mcginn isnt starting and even more shocked that it is clarke that is starting ahead of him. As previously mentioned murtagh gave donaghy the run around in newry and would have been my choice but sure james knows what he is doing and maybe clarke has been showing up well in the recent challenge matches.

Have a bad feeling about the game the closer it gets.  I expect Armagh to win midfield and it is asking an awful lot for big dan to keep stevie as quiet as he did in Newry. Im waiting for Jamie Clarke to produce at the very highest level ( await the backlash) but if he does and Armagh win midfield, Down will be in trouble.  After all we only bt them by a point in newry and now they have a few cross boys back and are playing in their own back yard.

The only thing that is keeping me positive is the fact that in my opinion this is possible the worst championship half forward line armagh have produced in a long time!!  It may not matter though if the long ball to stevie and jamie is working out.

All in all its going to be as tight as a ducks arse!!!

Dubh driocht

Defo a tight one
Disappointed Garvey didn't make it as POR has selected players in his own image - we need someone like Conor to get in among them. Daniel may have his limitations but we need a hallion in there somewhere. Have absolutely no worries about starting John Clarke- never lets us down.
Am a bit worried about what Jamie Clarke could do - looking forward to seeing him in a county championship game- but overall ,Armagh are a limited side. If they squeeze home, Derry will be delighted.If we make it, I would have a major hope of winning Ulster.Is section 103 central ?

mackers

Quote from: Dubh driocht on May 27, 2011, 08:17:59 PM
Defo a tight one
Disappointed Garvey didn't make it as POR has selected players in his own image - we need someone like Conor to get in among them. Daniel may have his limitations but we need a hallion in there somewhere. Have absolutely no worries about starting John Clarke- never lets us down.
Am a bit worried about what Jamie Clarke could do - looking forward to seeing him in a county championship game- but overall ,Armagh are a limited side. If they squeeze home, Derry will be delighted.If we make it, I would have a major hope of winning Ulster.Is section 103 central ?
So if Armagh win it, Derry will win the semi, and if Down win they'll win Ulster..................interesting analysis.
If we're a limited team then you shouldn't have any problem beating us........i
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Hoof Hearted

Paddy Kielty sporting the Down polo shirt on a Question of Sport at the minute
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

armaghniac

QuoteIs section 103 central ?

It is just behind the big screen showing the sport Down people are really interested in.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thebar

Quote from: armaghniac on May 27, 2011, 08:40:22 PM
QuoteIs section 103 central ?

It is just behind the big screen showing the sport Down people are really interested in.

cant believe armagh are putting it on never thought i'd see the day

Sheedy

garvey and maginn are apparently injured and wont make it. hope thats wrong as both would be definite options of the bench. bit surprised murtagh didnt get the nod but john clarke never lets us down and should be good for a few scores. anybody got any info on ambrose? would he be called on if needed?
nil satis nisi optimum

ONeill

McCartan Still Worried About Pitch Dimensions

Down manager James McCartan still has issues with the size of the pitch at the Athletic Grounds after having it measured ahead of Saturday's Ulster Senior Football Championship Quarter Final against Armagh.

McCartan was surprised to discover the Athletic Grounds pitch is slightly bigger than Páirc Esler in Newry, reasoning that the close proximity of the stands and terraces make the Armagh pitch look smaller than it actually is.

"I think it's just a matter of perspective," he said in the Irish News. "I'm a lot smaller than the average men and so is Danny Hughes and McComiskey. Armagh have a lot of big players and that means they have an unfair advantage when the ball is above head height."

"Also, the pitch is so close to the supporters and although the Down fans have an air of aristocracy, the Armagh support would be more agricultural and hence may be off-putting for our more refined members of our squad. Even if you are taking a sideline kick, you can detect an unpalatable aura off the home support. I just hope that the size of people and the physiological make-up of their fans won't provide an excuse after the game."

Paddy O'Rourke was not available for comment but friends have intimated he agrees which won't go down well with the farmers.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

QuoteEven if you are taking a sideline kick, you can detect an unpalatable aura off the home support.

Yes indeed. We are leaving the first couple of rows of seats free and a group of Dorsey people is going to move and up down the line and sit near free-takers.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lawnseed

Quote from: armaghniac on May 27, 2011, 09:55:12 PM
QuoteEven if you are taking a sideline kick, you can detect an unpalatable aura off the home support.

Yes indeed. We are leaving the first couple of rows of seats free and a group of Dorsey people is going to move and up down the line and sit near free-takers.

sounds like they'll have a good choice of seats
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

under the bar

have armagh county board issued the request for supporters to attend the game like  they did in the 1980s? it would be a shame if things slipped that far

lawnseed

i think news of poor performances in challenges has dampened the usually optimistic orange army, so much for fortress athletic grounds ::)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: lawnseed on May 27, 2011, 10:37:46 PM
i think news of poor performances in challenges has dampened the usually optimistic orange army, so much for fortress athletic grounds ::)

My optimism has been dampened since 2nd October 2009.

To be fair, I'm content with the team named and hopes its the side that actually starts. Down aren't that far ahead of us throughout most of the team but they are a team playing with confidence who trust and respect their manager and who have the benefit of a truely gifted football in Martin Clarke.

All logic and rationale suggests Down should win by a few yet Ulster Championship derbies don't always adhere to the tenets of reason. We could win and we might win but sadly I don't expect us to.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 27, 2011, 11:10:16 PM
I'm dirtying myself for saying this, but this thread would be better if it was Fearonised...

Indeed. We've struggled to rise ourselves to the level of spite that was apparent in the 2009 Ulster semi-final thread.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 27, 2011, 10:57:21 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on May 27, 2011, 10:37:46 PM

My optimism has been dampened since 2nd October 2009.

To be fair, I'm content with the team named and hopes its the side that actually starts. Down aren't that far ahead of us throughout most of the team but they are a team playing with confidence who trust and respect their manager and who have the benefit of a truely gifted football in Martin Clarke.

All logic and rationale suggests Down should win by a few yet Ulster Championship derbies don't always adhere to the tenets of reason. We could win and we might win but sadly I don't expect us to.

Some are more positive over the last day or 2 but not to rain on anyone parade here but there is still a massive uphill battle to be fought here. The alleged fractures that are supposed to be about the team do not heal easily. That is a fairly strong team that Down have named with 14 of the team that started the AI final last year. They have been playing well and unless we forget Armagh have not been lighting up the world with their performances.

The Armagh team is probably as close to the strongest 15 that are available. It's not the team I would play but there are some decent options on the bench, but unfortunately, no real game changers. Lest anyone be under any false impression there are 9 players playing who lost to Galway, 11 that lost to Kerry and 13 that lost to Cork. This is not a team that has won big games of late and losing is as much a habit as winning is. I hope more than most that we win as I live in the heart of the Mournes and listen to it every day but I find it hard to see where it will come from. I do not apologise for being a realist, I simply call it as I see it and am not blinded by Orange tinted glasses!