USFC Qtr Final - Armagh V Down - Athletic Grounds 28th May 7:30pm

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 13, 2011, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballela-angel

Folks - I'll be in the States Saturday night and I checked with Setanta to see if they are streaming the match - They are, but when I went to buy it a notice popped up stating it wasn't available in my region - Will 5 FM be broadcasting it?
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

PAULD123

Quote from: Agent Orange on May 25, 2011, 10:36:07 PM
The main Newry-Armagh Rd is closed at Markethill. Traffic is being diverted towards Hamiltonsbawn. There arent many GAA fans in that area.

I was thinking of turning at Markethill and heading to Armagh via the Keady road, thought that may be quieter, especially if the official diversion is the other way. Can anyone tell me if you can get into Markethill, or is the road closed before Markethill?

mackers

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 26, 2011, 08:53:54 AM
The main Newry-Armagh Rd is closed at Markethill. Traffic is being diverted towards Hamiltonsbawn. There arent many GAA fans in that area.

I was thinking of turning at Markethill and heading to Armagh via the Keady road, thought that may be quieter, especially if the official diversion is the other way. Can anyone tell me if you can get into Markethill, or is the road closed before Markethill?
Yes you can get into Markethill OK. Follow the signs for Keady but you don't have to go all the way to Keady. Probably 4 or 5 miles out the Keady Road out of Markethill you will cross the main Armagh-Newtownhamilton Road at Ferla crossroads. Just take right for Armagh instead of going across the crossroads for Keady. Don't bank on that road being any quieter though as that is the road that a lot of South Armagh supporters will be using so allow a bit of time for that.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

antrimlad

Fella I know is looking some tickets for this game, is there any left? And if so , where could he pick them up?

Go raibh míle maith agat  :)

naka

Quote from: antrimlad on May 26, 2011, 11:15:30 AM
Fella I know is looking some tickets for this game, is there any left? And if so , where could he pick them up?

plenty about try        "gaa.ie"        the official gaa website

Moortown Spuds

Im glad this game has shown the Armagh "faithful" up for what they are. Their first championship game back in the Athletic Grounds and no buzz, no capacity, no sell-out and no soul. If truth be told, the Armagh Buckfast Brigade would prefer to go to Clones every year for the "craic". I pity the Armagh team, they deserve more respect.

antrimlad

Quote from: naka on May 26, 2011, 11:28:30 AM
Quote from: antrimlad on May 26, 2011, 11:15:30 AM

plenty about try        "gaa.ie"        the official gaa website

Thanks  ;D

PAULD123

Quote from: mackers on May 26, 2011, 10:27:53 AM

Yes you can get into Markethill OK. Follow the signs for Keady but you don't have to go all the way to Keady. Probably 4 or 5 miles out the Keady Road out of Markethill you will cross the main Armagh-Newtownhamilton Road at Ferla crossroads. Just take right for Armagh instead of going across the crossroads for Keady. Don't bank on that road being any quieter though as that is the road that a lot of South Armagh supporters will be using so allow a bit of time for that.

Thanks Mackers, after all the heated debates you and I have had I appreciate the helpful advice. If I drove via Tandragee and headed via Richhill direction I could approach Armagh via Craigavon road, do you think this would be a quieter entry in to the city?

I would be interested to know your team prediction (and anyone else's). Down's team is pretty obvious to anyone except perhaps one corner back slot.

armaghniac

QuoteIf I drove via Tandragee and headed via Richhill direction I could approach Armagh via Craigavon road, do you think this would be a quieter entry in to the city?

I would have thought the quietest entry to Armagh would be the Newry road, if you can regain it by using a local road, having identified the exact extent of the diversion. 

One advantage of the soccer crowd staying away is that it is not be necessary to park in Keady or Ballymacnab.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fuzzman

Just read on the hoganstand (yes I'm bored), that Marty Clarke is flying back out to Aus for a wee holiday.
Is this common knowledge?
Is there talk of him getting a new contract or is it just a break away?
What does he work at?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=148554

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

mackers

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 26, 2011, 12:09:41 PM
Quote from: mackers on May 26, 2011, 10:27:53 AM

Thanks Mackers, after all the heated debates you and I have had I appreciate the helpful advice. If I drove via Tandragee and headed via Richhill direction I could approach Armagh via Craigavon road, do you think this would be a quieter entry in to the city?

I would be interested to know your team prediction (and anyone else's). Down's team is pretty obvious to anyone except perhaps one corner back slot.
Wudn't see you stuck Paul..............if you take my directions from Markethill onto the main Armagh Newtownhamilton Road you can cut across to the Newry Road via the Drumgraw Road which is a local road off to the right of the main road a couple of miles before you hit Armagh.  As armaghniac says it would probably be the quietest route into Armagh.
As regards my stab at the team I would take a guess at the following:

Hearty
A Mallon                              Donaghy                        Finn Mo
AK                                      McKeever                      Kevin Dyas
                          Vernon                         Toner
David McKenna / P Duffy                    Miceal O'Rourke              Malachy Mackin
Jamie Clarke                         Stevie                          J Murtagh

I'm presuming that B Mallon isn't fit to play otherwise he would slot in for Johnny Murtagh (who I wouldn't pick myself..........just think the management will).  We have a good goalkeeper and I'd be confident about five of our six backs (Finn Mo is a square peg in a round hole and his tackling is too rash).
Our midfield is a very good partnership but our forward line bar two players is way short of the mark. I'm hoping for strong direct running from good ball carriers in CV, Malachy Mackin and David McKenna unsettling Down's defensive system and creating space for Clarke and McDonnell. With those two in our side I wouldn't rule us out and I'm presuming Oisin has been working on a system to get the proper service into them.  In fairness both Miceal O'Rourke and Dyas can deliver quality ball.

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Throw ball

If you get as far as the golf Driving range and B and B on your left you have gone about 300 yards too far. Turn and the Drumgaw Road is the first on the left. You can travel to the end of the Drumgaw Road or take the first left of it as both will take you back on to the Newry Road.

Mackers I would not be surprised to see Murtagh on?! Think it is possible for Paul Duffy to play corner back as I think he played there in the challenge against Westmeath.

regal

I'm hoping for strong direct running from good ball carriers in CV, Malachy Mackin and David McKenna unsettling Down's defensive system and creating space for Clarke and McDonnell.

Unfortunately CV and MM are not good ball carriers. They lose the ball every time they run into a tackle and they are unable to get their heads up to look whats happening around them.

western exile

Quote from: downgirl on May 25, 2011, 10:39:06 PM
Neither is Ballynahinch/Lisburn to get on the motorway!  Will keep the heads down and floor it!  Motorway it is so!
The shortest way for you is Castlewellan -> Banbridge -> Tandragee -> Armagh.

Banana Man

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 26, 2011, 01:54:07 PM
Just read on the hoganstand (yes I'm bored), that Marty Clarke is flying back out to Aus for a wee holiday.
Is this common knowledge?
Is there talk of him getting a new contract or is it just a break away?
What does he work at?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=148554

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

works as a coaching office for county board

aye common knowledge he is heading back out to talk to a club(s) and will be gone after this season....