USFC Qtr Final - Armagh V Down - Athletic Grounds 28th May 7:30pm

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 13, 2011, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quoteaye common knowledge he is heading back out to talk to a club(s) and will be gone after this season....

hopefully we can give him cause to stay there after Saturday.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on May 26, 2011, 11:29:19 AM
Im glad this game has shown the Armagh "faithful" up for what they are. Their first championship game back in the Athletic Grounds and no buzz, no capacity, no sell-out and no soul. If truth be told, the Armagh Buckfast Brigade would prefer to go to Clones every year for the "craic". I pity the Armagh team, they deserve more respect.
Don't talk sh**e. Is there no recession in Tyrone? I and many others have followed Armagh when it was 1 day out a year. Its not so long ago Tyrone were in the same boat. Armagh have always had a loyal core of fans look at the McKenna Cup and League. But there are many factors here not least the ticket price. But hey I'm glad the recession and immigration hasn't hit Moortown.

Applesisapples

Quote from: regal on May 26, 2011, 02:18:26 PM
I'm hoping for strong direct running from good ball carriers in CV, Malachy Mackin and David McKenna unsettling Down's defensive system and creating space for Clarke and McDonnell.

Unfortunately CV and MM are not good ball carriers. They lose the ball every time they run into a tackle and they are unable to get their heads up to look whats happening around them.
Vernon is strong on the ball you obviously haven't seen much of him.

Moortown Spuds

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 26, 2011, 03:37:00 PM
Im glad this game has shown the Armagh "faithful" up for what they are. Their first championship game back in the Athletic Grounds and no buzz, no capacity, no sell-out and no soul. If truth be told, the Armagh Buckfast Brigade would prefer to go to Clones every year for the "craic". I pity the Armagh team, they deserve more respect.
Don't talk sh**e. Is there no recession in Tyrone? I and many others have followed Armagh when it was 1 day out a year. Its not so long ago Tyrone were in the same boat. Armagh have always had a loyal core of fans look at the McKenna Cup and League. But there are many factors here not least the ticket price. But hey I'm glad the recession and immigration hasn't hit Moortown.

The recession will be a far distant memory whenever the few true Armagh supporters, and many more Down supporters are making their way to the game, their sunshine loving compatriats will be staying on in the pub to watch their heros in Wembley. Likewise, in Slane, the Buckfast birgade will be in full voice. Unfortunately for the likes of McKeever, McDonnell and co they will feel outnumbered in their championship baptism of The Athletic Grounds. Best Supporters Ever? Dont make me f*cking laugh!

naka

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on May 26, 2011, 03:44:41 PM

The recession will be a far distant memory whenever the few true Armagh supporters, and many more Down supporters are making their way to the game, their sunshine loving compatriats will be staying on in the pub to watch their heros in Wembley. Likewise, in Slane, the Buckfast birgade will be in full voice. Unfortunately for the likes of McKeever, McDonnell and co they will feel outnumbered in their championship baptism of The Athletic Grounds. Best Supporters Ever? Dont make me f*cking laugh!
registered April 2011----has to be Oneill

mackers

I'm hoping for strong direct running from good ball carriers in CV, Malachy Mackin and David McKenna unsettling Down's defensive system and creating space for Clarke and McDonnell.

Unfortunately CV and MM are not good ball carriers. They lose the ball every time they run into a tackle and they are unable to get their heads up to look whats happening around them.
We'll have to agree to disagree.......I think Charlie and Malachy both carry the ball well. Charlie's problems occur when he is bottled up, I'd agree at times his decision making is poor but if he has green grass in front of him he can carry to great effect. I think his ball carrying into the wind in Castlebar won us that league match for example. His point against Derry last year in Celtic Park with Fergal Doherty hanging off him is another.
If we just kick long ball into Stevie and Clarke every time we'll be easily stopped, Down will probably create a ring of defenders round the two of them. It's up to us to draw the defenders out from them and we have the ball carriers to do so.
Appleisapples, you'd be best advised to ignore yet another Tyrone WUM.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Applesisapples

Quote from: mackers on May 26, 2011, 03:51:03 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree.......I think Charlie and Malachy both carry the ball well. Charlie's problems occur when he is bottled up, I'd agree at times his decision making is poor but if he has green grass in front of him he can carry to great effect. I think his ball carrying into the wind in Castlebar won us that league match for example. His point against Derry last year in Celtic Park with Fergal Doherty hanging off him is another.
If we just kick long ball into Stevie and Clarke every time we'll be easily stopped, Down will probably create a ring of defenders round the two of them. It's up to us to draw the defenders out from them and we have the ball carriers to do so.
Appleisapples, you'd be best advised to ignore yet another Tyrone WUM.
When I saw the reply I figured that out.

Moortown Spuds

Its alright lads, there is healthy contingent of Tyrone Supporters making the trip to the Athletic Grounds. Maybe we will create a bit of atmosphere for you.

Maybe The Morgan's Unlaundered Fuel Athletic Grounds will be sold out but it wont be because of the bandwagon Armagh clique!!

mackers

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

western exile

Quote from Ambrose Rodgers in yesterdays papers 
"I have never played on a winning Down side against Armagh in the championship and that tells its own story. As a matter of fact, we have fallen apart against Armagh in recent years. It will take a lot of hard work and a bit of luck for us to get one over them this time."

For the record, Down's last championship win against the orchard county was in 1992

naka

Quote from: western exile on May 26, 2011, 04:33:33 PM
Quote from Ambrose Rodgers in yesterdays papers 
"I have never played on a winning Down side against Armagh in the championship and that tells its own story. As a matter of fact, we have fallen apart against Armagh in recent years. It will take a lot of hard work and a bit of luck for us to get one over them this time."

For the record, Down's last championship win against the orchard county was in 1992
long may it continue ;)
the closer to the game the more confident I feel
armagh by 3

PAULD123

I think Mackers is correct Down will seek to build a defensive ring around Clarke & McDonnell. If the lads are deployed at 14 & 15 this will play into our hands. If they take a corner each then it will be more difficult. Long balls in will either slow down their progress if they are low, as they will be surrounded, or give big Dan his best chance to pick them off if they are high.

It is obvious that Armagh would therefore want to carry the ball at Down but that requires getting out of a congested midfield area where McGinn will be sent to forage and both Clarke & Hughes will track back to close down the Armagh HF line. This being precisely to allow the defending described above to work.

That's the theory it will come down to who is most successful at implementing their strategy.

In attack, everyone knows what Down will do. All six forwards will attack together, trying to work the ball into a point scoring opportunity. The Armagh defence will spend a lot of time chasing shadows. However, as has been seen, if a defence sticks at this accepting that chasing and chasing is required then our forwards do eventually run out of options (as in the Dublin match). Athleticism, patience and hard work can close our attack down.

regal

Moortown, i dread to think of what abuse you will be dishing out to armagh and down players on saturday considering how you treat your own county players .... joe mcmahon

passedit

I don't think they'll ever have to worry about that Apples, permanent checkpoint on the Ardboe border just in case.

All logic says Down pulling up, so I reckon Yer Ma to sneak it 7-6 on a dirty night.
Don't Panic

Moortown Spuds

Quote from: regal on May 26, 2011, 05:08:06 PM
Moortown, i dread to think of what abuse you will be dishing out to armagh and down players on saturday considering how you treat your own county players .... joe mcmahon

Jesus, the Arnagh faithful have a short short memory. Can you even remeber when you last won an all-ireland?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/armagh-gaa-starrsquos-jaw-rebuilt-after-assault-on-pitch-14844874.html

At least Joe McMahon wasn't a cub! But sure ApplesisApples wouldn't even know about that incident. He is a bandwagon supporter personified. Reading thropugh his posts he doesn't have a club, doesn't know what club Paul Duffy plays for and admits that he doesn't attend any club games. Will probably see it is raining outside on Saturday and will lie up in the armchair/stool to watch the CL Final. I'll be at the game, will be good to see who we must play in the Ulster Final as lets face it the Derry in-breds are not going to provide much resistance in the semis. I just think its a crying shame that on the championship baptism that the new grounds cant be christened with a full house!