Paudie Hughes

Started by Joxer, April 11, 2011, 11:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

If the penalty incident happened anywhere else on the field there wouldn't be a word about it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Throw ball on July 05, 2015, 04:36:36 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 05, 2015, 04:32:24 PM
Overall, I think he did reasonably well today. He has, however, made absolutely certain that he will be the main topic of conversation, due to his howler of a call on that 'penalty'; there are too many of those contentious calls with this ref, in particular, yet he will not only be indulged, but promoted.

The problem is that you could replace Paudie Hughes name with any other referee and the statement would still be true.

So what do we do Throw Ball (and your point is valid, to a degree), but I know, and so do you, referees who NEVER end up as the post match talking point, and never have. I don't want to list names, but you get the gist?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: general_lee on July 05, 2015, 04:40:13 PM
If the penalty incident happened anywhere else on the field there wouldn't be a word about it.

Congrats for probably the most inane comment possible: ANYWHERE ELSE on the bleeding field COULD NOT have resulted in three feckin points!

general_lee

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 05, 2015, 04:45:15 PM

Congrats for probably the most inane comment possible: ANYWHERE ELSE on the bleeding field COULD NOT have resulted in three feckin points!
Really? Should we introduce some sort of scale from which we can determine whether a foul is blatant enough to result in a penalty?

I mean I thought on first viewing that it was a foul and called a penalty before he signalled it; on second viewing I thought it harsh but still a foul. Do you have to decapitate someone or sweep them off their feet using your right boot for it to be deemed a correct penalty decision?

Zulu

But there was no foul at all. You said that was a free but in slow motion I couldn't see any foul and I would think nobody would call for a free if such a collision happened in the middle of the field. There is, or should be, a sliding scale in a referees mind, you need to to be 100% sure there was a free to give a penalty as you are in effect giving a team a good 3 point chance.

theticklemister

Quote from: Zulu on July 05, 2015, 05:42:25 PM
But there was no foul at all. You said that was a free but in slow motion I couldn't see any foul and I would think nobody would call for a free if such a collision happened in the middle of the field. There is, or should be, a sliding scale in a referees mind, you need to to be 100% sure there was a free to give a penalty as you are in effect giving a team a good 3 point chance.

and he wasn't sure was he................... did he not go to the umpires after the decision was made? I think he was double-checking with them after the decision was made, I don't think he went (as the commentators said) to see what card he should brandish.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: general_lee on July 05, 2015, 05:34:28 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 05, 2015, 04:45:15 PM

Really? Should we introduce some sort of scale from which we can determine whether a foul is blatant enough to result in a penalty?

I mean I thought on first viewing that it was a foul and called a penalty before he signalled it; on second viewing I thought it harsh but still a foul. Do you have to decapitate someone or sweep them off their feet using your right boot for it to be deemed a correct penalty decision?

A howler in the middle of the park, versus a non-existent penalty call? Finished debating a chara ;)

general_lee

Well for the record I thought Collins had linked arms and brought O'Donoghue down with him and that's where I think Hughes also saw the foul. Soft as it was, he didn't play the ball but brought down an opponent?

Hughes is like a robot (probably why the powers that be love him), I've seen him give decisions like that before in Armagh where the benefit of the doubt is almost always given to the defender but with Hughes he see's slightest hint of a foul and awards the free/penalty.

ck

On first viewing I was 100% sure it was a penalty. (That's the only viewing the referee had!)
On 2nd viewing I thought it was a harsh call but still a foul, therefore still a penalty.

Zulu

Quote from: general_lee on July 05, 2015, 06:11:48 PM
Well for the record I thought Collins had linked arms and brought O'Donoghue down with him and that's where I think Hughes also saw the foul. Soft as it was, he didn't play the ball but brought down an opponent?

Hughes is like a robot (probably why the powers that be love him), I've seen him give decisions like that before in Armagh where the benefit of the doubt is almost always given to the defender but with Hughes he see's slightest hint of a foul and awards the free/penalty.

I thought Collins reached the ball first and then both players collided, ball spilled loose and both players fell. There was momentary linking of arms but I thought that was natural rather than one grabbing the other. O'Donoghue went down easily IMO and realised he might get a free by doing so.

orangeman

The Munster council will have him as guest of honour at their dinner dance in December.

€€€

It's an ill wind and all that.

theticklemister

Quote from: orangeman on July 05, 2015, 06:45:40 PM
The Munster council will have him as guest of honour at their dinner dance in December.

€€€

It's an ill wind and all that.

The pub landlords in Killarney.......................

And their counterparts in Thurles and Limerick

Applesisapples

Quote from: joemamas on July 05, 2015, 04:09:57 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on July 05, 2015, 04:04:25 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 05, 2015, 03:58:34 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 05, 2015, 03:54:11 PM
Another clanger today.

PH was doing well today and then he effectively changed the result. He amde a single mistake but a massive one. The life of a ref

Agree totally. He made less mistakes than most of the players but will get loads for it.

No matter what Brolly says Hughes is one of the better referees.

Also, for what it is worth on first view I thought it was a foul. On replay I thought it was harsh. The only clear cut decision I think he got wrong was the 45 to Cork near the end. I thought it should have been a square ball free out as the old rule applies from frees.

Call it what you like, but I hate when a game becomes more about a referee than the playing.
Of all the refs out there he is the worst with the "I am going to make sure every body knows I am refereeing this game".
Bullshit. Hughes is one of the better Refs, on first viewing it looked a foul, he consulted with his umpires who must have concurred. We see to many instances of what would be a free elsewhere being let go by refs to afraid to call it. On second viewing it still seemed a foul and although harsh as a penalty that's the rule.

Zulu

He gave the penalty before consulting with his umpires though. And I've seen it a few times now and still can't see the free.

screenexile

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 06, 2015, 10:31:02 AM
Quote from: joemamas on July 05, 2015, 04:09:57 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on July 05, 2015, 04:04:25 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 05, 2015, 03:58:34 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 05, 2015, 03:54:11 PM
Another clanger today.

PH was doing well today and then he effectively changed the result. He amde a single mistake but a massive one. The life of a ref

Agree totally. He made less mistakes than most of the players but will get loads for it.

No matter what Brolly says Hughes is one of the better referees.

Also, for what it is worth on first view I thought it was a foul. On replay I thought it was harsh. The only clear cut decision I think he got wrong was the 45 to Cork near the end. I thought it should have been a square ball free out as the old rule applies from frees.

Call it what you like, but I hate when a game becomes more about a referee than the playing.
Of all the refs out there he is the worst with the "I am going to make sure every body knows I am refereeing this game".
Bullshit. Hughes is one of the better Refs, on first viewing it looked a foul, he consulted with his umpires who must have concurred. We see to many instances of what would be a free elsewhere being let go by refs to afraid to call it. On second viewing it still seemed a foul and although harsh as a penalty that's the rule.

Never a foul he made a genuine attempt at the ball and collided with O'Donoghue!!