Queen Elizabeth to visit Croke Park

Started by Eamonnca1, April 07, 2011, 05:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Will she be welcomed at the Garden of Remembrance?

The sooner this is over the better.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

brokencrossbar1

I think it is extremely difficult for people who have not experienced it at first hand to understand what exactly was done against members of the GAA in the north by the security forces(and by extension through collusion, the loyalist paramilitaries) over a sustained period of time.  Of course we all have to move on but that doesn't mean we simply bury our feelings and accept it without speaking out.  I don't know how much Eamonnca(who if I recall rightly has been in the states for 30 odd years) or maygodhelpus etc know what actually did happen, but what they know is based on News reports and anecdotal stories.  Many people sat at Congress over the years and rightly condemned what happened at my own club, but did they really understand what we had to deal with.  They heard about club rooms being burnt up the Ards peninsula and places like that but did they appreciate they total sense of  destruction that these clubs felt after their years of hard work had been destroyed.  The families of Aidan McAnespie, Sean Browne etc?  Are their murders still not fresh in their minds? 

I could go on, I could really make people aware of why there is an expected level of anger at this happening.  I personally believe that it would be easier to swallow if there was some form of pre released statement about the intentions of the Royal family when they are there, with a clear indication that an apology would be made.  We are in a very seminal decade in the history of our island and also the history of the world as a whole.  The Decade of Anniversaries it is being called and perhaps this is part of the way to paving other events that will coincide with some of these anniversaries.  I wait to be convinced.

Croí na hÉireann

Good post bc. If there's no apology I hope she is kicked all the way back up Jones Road.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AQMP

In 1982 (I forget the exact date but it was about May/June time) a member of the then RUC removed four hurls, two sliothars and amazingly a pair of shorts from the boot of my brother's car as we made our way to training.  They were never returned.  Should I

a)  Get over it and move on as it was a very long time ago (I can guarantee the shorts will no longer fit)

b)  Assume the PSNI has moved on just as the GAA has

c)  Hope the Queen apologises

d)  Protest against her visit to Croke Park

e)  Spend less time on the board

Banana Man

here's one for ya's

Cork footballers won the all-ireland last year, the great rebel (symbolic eh) county, yet their followers, GAA fans and members were not allowed onto the hallowed turf to celebrate with their heroes (partitioned if you will from the green field), yet here comes the boul Lizzy and she'll get a complimentary tour and no doubt tr**p all over the sod - Discuss.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AQMP on April 08, 2011, 11:24:46 AM
In 1982 (I forget the exact date but it was about May/June time) a member of the then RUC removed four hurls, two sliothars and amazingly a pair of shorts from the boot of my brother's car as we made our way to training.  They were never returned.  Should I

a)  Get over it and move on as it was a very long time ago (I can guarantee the shorts will no longer fit)

AQMP

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 08, 2011, 11:26:58 AM

Is the right answer!

saffron sam2

I'll bet you were more than happy to spend the compensation from the British government on 50 new gold plated hurls, 18 diamond encrusted sliotars and 14 pairs of (admittedly much larger) shorts. With equipment such as that you were probably able to poach players from smaller neighbouring clubs.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Bingo

Quote from: Banana Man on April 08, 2011, 11:26:15 AM
here's one for ya's

Cork footballers won the all-ireland last year, the great rebel (symbolic eh) county, yet their followers, GAA fans and members were not allowed onto the hallowed turf to celebrate with their heroes (partitioned if you will from the green field), yet here comes the boul Lizzy and she'll get a complimentary tour and no doubt tr**p all over the sod - Discuss.

Not the issue or even close to it I'd guess.

But I do hope she isn't allowed to walk the corgis on the field and them shit all over the place!

Bingo

On a side issue, maybe it has been discussed previous, but the queens money has been used by many clubs in the north and a massive amount will now be used to redevelop Casement. Is it right that her money is welcomed but she isn't - Discuss.

My opinion is that it isn't her money but thats been very simplistic.

EC Unique

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on April 08, 2011, 10:10:45 AM
This is the first time I have seen such a fast growing thread on the board about a British royal visit to Ireland. She and members of her family have been to Ireland many a time.

Why the uproar now and not the previous times?
Is it because she is visiting your part of Ireland?
Are you a partition protester?
For me republicans usually don't pay heed to the border. 
It seems to me, a lot of ye do.

When is the last time she was in the 26 counties?

Orior

Quote from: EC Unique on April 08, 2011, 12:35:55 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on April 08, 2011, 10:10:45 AM
This is the first time I have seen such a fast growing thread on the board about a British royal visit to Ireland. She and members of her family have been to Ireland many a time.

Why the uproar now and not the previous times?
Is it because she is visiting your part of Ireland?
Are you a partition protester?
For me republicans usually don't pay heed to the border. 
It seems to me, a lot of ye do.

When is the last time she was in the 26 counties?

I think her dearly departed sister (who liked the bottle) used to frequent Dublin, until it got too dangerous.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AQMP

Quote from: saffron sam2 on April 08, 2011, 12:26:24 PM

I'll bet you were more than happy to spend the compensation from the British government on 50 new gold plated hurls, 18 diamond encrusted sliotars and 14 pairs of (admittedly much larger) shorts. With equipment such as that you were probably able to poach players from smaller neighbouring clubs.

The thing is SS2, those young bloody ingrates around the club now have little idea what I (and my departed shorts) went through so that they would be free to enjoy the Queen visiting Croke Park!

LeoMc

Quote from: gerry on April 07, 2011, 05:55:03 PM
Its a fecking disgrace it was bad enough with gstq being played a few years back. What next will the gaa do for a few cents.
I bet they are not even charging her in!!!

LeoMc

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 08, 2011, 10:37:58 AM
Not too sure how I'd feel to see her in Croke park tbh. I prob wouldn't be over the moon so I'll do my best to ignore it.

What I do have to laugh at here are certain posters harping on about moving on etc and yet when there's a discussion about SF they're the first to jump all over it referring to SF's history. Maybe if your going to push the whole moving on scenario then it should be over everything. Not just the things that you deem necessary to move on from.
+1