Hogan Cup Final 2011 - St Colmans College, Newry (Down) v St Jarlaths, Tuam, (Ga

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 06, 2011, 04:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

Quote from: Donegal Danny on April 07, 2011, 12:20:07 PM
Does anyone remember the 1993 Hogan Cup Final between these two colleges? Played in Longford, i was at it because there was a couple of lads from Letterkenny playing for Jarlaths. It was the first time i saw Michael Donnellan and Padraic Joyce playing. Donnellan got a great goal after half time to put Jarlaths 4 up but a wonder goal from Diarmuid Marsden late on won it for Colmans. A lad called Mark Rowland i think was captain and MOTM for Colman's.
Don't remember that one but there was a great game in semi final in 1998 in Clones which Colmans won after extra time. The brother was on Colmans team that year.

Donegal Danny

N.P. 76 i am from Donegal so will not argue with you but i think Des French was from Whitecross, if not who was the Whitecross man on that 1993 team?

John "chopper " Fegan midfield on the 98 team, scored 1-1 in the Hogan final. Was Liam Doyle on that team? Who was the captain?

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Donegal Danny on April 07, 2011, 10:13:43 PM
N.P. 76 i am from Donegal so will not argue with you but i think Des French was from Whitecross, if not who was the Whitecross man on that 1993 team?

John "chopper " Fegan midfield on the 98 team, scored 1-1 in the Hogan final. Was Liam Doyle on that team? Who was the captain?

Declan Morgan, son of Ray was Captain. Doyler partnered fegan in midfield i think. Mickey Feeney was superb at full back with Aidan Fegan the leader of the attack assisted by Noel McElvenna and Aidan Cole.

Orangemac

Quote from: Donegal Danny on April 07, 2011, 10:13:43 PM

Declan Toner from Whitecross would have played in 1992 (on armagh minor panel that year) not sure if he was overage in 1993.

Donegal Danny

Surely someone knows where Des French is from or what club he played for? If from Lurgan what club?

PAULD123

Quote from: Donegal Danny on April 07, 2011, 10:33:38 PM
Surely someone knows where Des French is from or what club he played for? If from Lurgan what club?

No doubt whatsoever Des french was from Lurgan.

NP 76

Des French was defiently Lurgan Clann na Gael i think they are bookies in Lurgan as far as i know Declan Toner was from Whitecross 

seafoid

It's great to see a St Jarlath's team in an AIF. SJ are like a trailer for Galway football. The centre of excellence that bears fruit a couple of years down the line. They have that ruthless winning  mentality that the hurlers never really had. And Mayo could really do with it. 

Orior

Where exactly does the Armagh - Down border run (or walk) through Newry?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

PAULD123

Quote from: Orior on April 08, 2011, 09:45:33 AM
Where exactly does the Armagh - Down border run (or walk) through Newry?

I'm pretty sure Des was Clan na Gael. He was James French's brother wasn't he? James was defo a Clan na Gael man.

The border is totally unimportant, As has been pointed out the team has 12 out of 14 outfield players from Down. But in the past some quality Armagh players have played, the most notable probably being Diarmuid Marsden.

I don't think it is relevant to be discussing the border here and I think the whole thing has been raised out of nothing but pettiness. However just for the sake of discussion (assuming you're actually interested and not just trying to start a wind up):

Technically the border is complicated. Traditionally the river marks the border of Armagh & Down. So that would mean anyone on the Buttercrane side of the river would be in Armagh. But as the local clubs are Shamrocks and Mitchells a lot of those people would play for a County Down club and consider themselves to be from Down. It is further obscured by the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898 which made the whole of Newry officially and legally within Down. Though this Act was then repealed in 1971 with the passing of the Local Government (Boundaries) Act (Northern Ireland) 1971, followed by the Local Government Act (Northern Ireland) 1972. These later Acts formed what we now know as the Newry & Mourne District Council. However what they didn't do was address the meaning of the word Newry, in failing to do so the provisions of the repealed 1898 act still prevail. This means that legally the whole of Newry is in Down while traditionally it is split between the two counties.

Thus traditionally St Colman's is situated n Armagh but legally is situated in Down.

Now I hope that this has reached a point where everyone can see that there is no absolute right or absolute wrong answer and that therefore this discussion is a dead duck!!!! Can we please go back to talking about the match and football. NP76 lead us off, thanks......

Down Follower

Quote from: Orangemac on April 07, 2011, 10:07:53 PM
Quote from: Donegal Danny on April 07, 2011, 12:20:07 PM
Does anyone remember the 1993 Hogan Cup Final between these two colleges? Played in Longford, i was at it because there was a couple of lads from Letterkenny playing for Jarlaths. It was the first time i saw Michael Donnellan and Padraic Joyce playing. Donnellan got a great goal after half time to put Jarlaths 4 up but a wonder goal from Diarmuid Marsden late on won it for Colmans. A lad called Mark Rowland i think was captain and MOTM for Colman's.
Don't remember that one but there was a great game in semi final in 1998 in Clones which Colmans won after extra time. The brother was on Colmans team that year.

The 1998 semi final which St Colmans won was actually against Roscommon CBS, who defeated St Jarlaths in the Connaught Final.  The semi final was a superb game which St Colmans won after extra time and they proceeded to walk the final against a Dublin Irish College.

armaghniac

QuoteBut as the local clubs are Shamrocks and Mitchells a lot of those people would play for a County Down club and consider themselves to be from Down.

Some people further out the Armagh road also consider themselves British. That doesn't make it right.

QuoteCan we please go back to talking about the match and football.

Why doesn't the original poster stop trolling just change the title of the thread to St Colmans College, Newry?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

snoopdog

Quote from: Donegal Danny on April 07, 2011, 10:33:38 PM

Know Des well, Clann na Gael Lurgan
Lives in Edinburgh now
Cousin of Wee James by the way