David Moran - Out for year

Started by REDCOL, April 04, 2011, 08:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REDCOL

Sad News for a good young player

PostDateIconMonday, 04 April 2011 16:55 |

David Moran attended the Santry Clinic in Dublin this morning and has been given the terrible news that he has a torn cruciate. As a result David will be out for the rest of the season. David has worked extremely hard with the Kerry Panel this year and we send him our commiserations

spuds

Very tough on him, have been waiting for him to really establish himself on the Kerry team for a while. Has everything to be a top quality player. Hope he recovers and gets the oportunity to show off his undoubted talent.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Jinxy

That's very tough on him.
He was moving really well last time I saw him.
He's still very young though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Orangemac

Big loss for Kerry. He came on for Scanlon v Armagh and made a big difference.

Declan

That's tough news for  him. Was very impressed with him against Dublin and they'll miss him

heffo

Awful news for the player - it looked like he was finally going to nail down a place on the Kerry team.

Kerry Mike

Its a terrible injury and all too common nowadays, Moran was hitting peak form this year after a few years on the fringes ofthe Kerry team and was well in for a starting championship place , its a huge blow to him personally and also to our aspirations for the year. Seamus Scanlon and Anthony Maher will now be the fore runners but it may open up an opportunity for the likes of Johnny Buckley from Dr Crokes to claim his stake after impressing in the club championship.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Fuzzman

Terrible news for the young man who looked to as if we was becoming another Kerry great.
Hopefully he makes a full recovery and can come back and reach is potential.

This injury seems to be popping up more and more of late and I wonder is there any particular reason why?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/kingdom-star-morans-season-over-after-cruciate-tear-2609546.html

Declan

orangeman

Surely given the number of these injuries occuring currently, compared to a few years ago, there should be some investigation / study done into this ?.

Kerry Mike

Was there some survey or other that said a player with blades instead of studs had a bigger chance of a more serious injury, dont know if that the case, but there does seem to be alot of these type of injuries.

jaysus when I was playing years ago there was not even mention of a hamstring, never mind fecking cruciate ligaments. Its a cruel blow for anyone who gets it , you'd nearly prefer to snap a bone as it would heal quicker.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Orangemac

Quote from: Kerry Mike on April 05, 2011, 11:05:19 AM
Was there some survey or other that said a player with blades instead of studs had a bigger chance of a more serious injury, dont know if that the case, but there does seem to be alot of these type of injuries.

jaysus when I was playing years ago there was not even mention of a hamstring, never mind fecking cruciate ligaments. Its a cruel blow for anyone who gets it , you'd nearly prefer to snap a bone as it would heal quicker.
More evidence of this.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/in-brief-tyrone-bid-to-stop-jordan-quitting-2611233.html

orangeman

Quote from: Orangemac on April 07, 2011, 10:39:40 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on April 05, 2011, 11:05:19 AM

More evidence of this.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/in-brief-tyrone-bid-to-stop-jordan-quitting-2611233.html

Very interesting.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Tough on the lad, best to him.

Seems the soccer lads have a problem with blades too (from Wikipedia):

More recently, moulded soles with specially designed boots known as blades have moulded soles facing in multiple directions, theoretically to maximise grip and minimise ankle injury. Recently, however, "bladed" football boots have faced criticism from some UK sporting bodies for causing potentially serious injuries to players. English football club Manchester United have even banned its players from wearing boots with bladed studs after players like Wayne Rooney and David Beckham suffered repeated metatarsal injuries.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ross matt

Quote from: orangeman on April 05, 2011, 11:00:41 AM
Surely given the number of these injuries occuring currently, compared to a few years ago, there should be some investigation / study done into this ?.

I think it's because players are bigger, stronger and faster. The hits are bigger and when they twist and turn they do so at more pace also. This in turn puts more pressure on muscles that are already toned and tight. If you look at rugby and soccer the increase in these type of injuries is also evident as opposed to years ago. The only positive is that sports medicine/science has also developed so surgeries are less invasive and more successful plus athletes being so much fitter and knowledgeable supported by physios can recover quicker. David will return from this where as if it happened to his Dad Ogie back in the day it might well have finished his career. For now though its very frustrating for the lad.