Best Attacking Wing Backs

Started by Gael85, April 03, 2011, 11:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: mattockranger on April 04, 2011, 12:38:23 PM

who is a better attacking wingback....

Aaron i think shades tomas for composure going forward he effectively has to marked by the wing forward in most cases and has easily played in the forward line most notibly for Armagh last year I don't think Tomas could make the transistion as easily...

Get out of this thread.
NOW!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

PAULD123

Don't think there is much debate about it, but for the sake of argument can you tell us Aaron Kernan's scoring record in total. Another poster already told us that O'se has:

Championship Appearances: 73
Scored: 3-29 in Championship

League Appearances: 76
Scored:  1-27 in League.

Bogball XV

Quote from: PAULD123 on April 04, 2011, 01:52:43 PM
Don't think there is much debate about it, but for the sake of argument can you tell us Aaron Kernan's scoring record in total. Another poster already told us that O'se has:

Championship Appearances: 73
Scored: 3-29 in Championship

League Appearances: 76
Scored:  1-27 in League.
much lower scorer average in the league, maybe it's because he's not facing clare and waterford defenders?

But, Kernan's not in his league.

haze

Quote from: bigfrank on April 03, 2011, 12:00:14 PM
the 2nd list of players u named couldnt carry water to the first list....FACT!!! Darren Strong lol.......good man  ;D

If this was best attacking wing back of the league I think Darren would be well in contention...

- Meath 0
-Derry 3pts
-Antrim 3pts
-Tyrone 1pt
-Kildare 2 pts
-Sligo 2 pts

Now granted while he is not remotely in the league of the other players mentioned, he has made a good start to his new half back role

T O Se currently my favourite with Sean Og de Paor and Paul Curran my picks for the 90's

mattockranger

from 2004 to 2009
Kernan has scored 54 points in the league and championship combined

and in 2010/2011 I can't find statistics
anyway he played as forward for majority of matches

Anyway it is not about who has scored when deciding the standard of a player.....in that case Shane Lennons scoring rate ranks him up their with the top forwards in the game!!

Kernan is more comfortable going forward hence he was used as a forward

I'm not saying he is a better Player overall than Tomas O'se just he's a better attacking threat ask most half forwards who would they rather mark...they'd say O'se why because he'll do his job defensively first and then break forward for a score......Kernan does not have that mindset he attacks first and foremost then defends leaving his marker allowing them to play their own game....so look closer to the argument here lads before ramming it down my throat
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

nrico2006

Didn't Philip Jordan get 3 points from play against Dublin last Summer, that was some shooting for a half back.  Davey Harte must have amassed a decent tally too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: screenexile on April 04, 2011, 01:27:46 PM
Quote from: mattockranger on April 04, 2011, 01:06:00 PM

I think Tomas has perfected his break from defence and timing of when to go on a solo run and when not to go.....Kernan is constantly playing beyond the midfield creating and setting up most attacks
he might not make the armagh HB line for defensive reasons....

who is the better Player Tomas o'se...who is the better attacking wingback Aaron Kernan

Not a chance! Look at their championship scoring records and that should tell you what you need to know. Tomas O'Se also has 2 feet compared to Kernan's one. The reason Kernan is touted as being a great attacking half back is because he sometimes hits frees. From play O'Se would have more and is by far a better attacking half back and player than Kernan!

No wonder Kernan keeps running around in circles!

Jinxy

Quote from: mattockranger on April 04, 2011, 02:51:34 PM
from 2004 to 2009

Anyway it is not about who has scored when deciding the standard of a player.....in that case Shane Lennons scoring rate ranks him up their with the top forwards in the game!!

I'm not saying he is a better Player overall than Tomas O'se just he's a better attacking threat ask most half forwards who would they rather mark...they'd say O'se why because he'll do his job defensively first and then break forward for a score......Kernan does not have that mindset he attacks first and foremost then defends leaving his marker allowing them to play their own game....so look closer to the argument here lads before ramming it down my throat

Ah will you stop.  ;)

Kerry Mike

QuoteKernan does not have that mindset he attacks first and foremost then defends leaving his marker allowing them to play their own game

Any Kerry player trying that role too often would be on a one way ticket to live with the dead monks on the Skelligs, we like our backs to do what they are good at first of all and if they get the chance to break and score well and good.

Tomas O'Se has been an outstanding player for us and he is hopefully not finished yet, Has scored some great inspirational scores at key times in important games over the years for ther Kingdom.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

blewuporstuffed

i would say o'se and jordan are along way ahead of any other HBs still playing.
in the past paul curran & sean og would have been up there
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

mattockranger

Quote from: Kerry Mike on April 04, 2011, 04:31:01 PM
QuoteKernan does not have that mindset he attacks first and foremost then defends leaving his marker allowing them to play their own game

Any Kerry player trying that role too often would be on a one way ticket to live with the dead monks on the Skelligs, we like our backs to do what they are good at first of all and if they get the chance to break and score well and good.

Tomas O'Se has been an outstanding player for us and he is hopefully not finished yet, Has scored some great inspirational scores at key times in important games over the years for ther Kingdom.

Thank you Kerry Mike thank you!

Jinxy

If Graham Geraghty had stayed at wing back (where he started off for the seniors) he would have been one of the best attacking half backs of all time.
I remember him scoring a goal and a couple of points from there against Dublin one year.

ross matt

from 2004 to 2009

Stop diggin' ... now.

Puckoon

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 04, 2011, 12:41:36 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 04, 2011, 10:40:18 AM
Declan McCrossan

Wrong thread. He should be in the 'Best Facial Hair on a Wing Back' thread!

I'd love to have seen what McCrossan could have done had he stayed and delivered on the potential. He was some sight in full flow.

mattockranger

Quote from: ross matt on April 04, 2011, 05:59:05 PM
from 2004 to 2009

Stop diggin' ... now.

look even closer at my argument then come back to me....good man