RTE Sport looking for GAA program suggestions

Started by Eamonnca1, March 30, 2011, 12:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

RTÉ Sport commissioning editor, Cliona O'Leary and assistant commissioning editor, Paula Fahy are currently inviting programme ideas for an 18 episode Sports series to compliment RTÉ Sport's GAA Championship coverage in 2011 that is to air on Wednesdays or Thursdays on RTÉ Two between 8:00pm and 8:30pm or 8:30 pm and 9:00pm.

The maximum budget available for the series of 18 programmes is €160,000 -together with RTÉ studio (incl EFPs), facilities/resources. In addition, RTÉ Sport will provide a programme set, opening animation and programme graphics for the series, subject to further discussion with the successful company.

The midweek series of 18 x 26 minute programmes should compliment RTÉ Sport's GAA Championship coverage in 2011 and should be ready to start broadcasting on the 18th or 19th of May, running until the 14th or 15th of September. A release from RTÉ Sport states that the group is also open to submissions for programmes 52' in duration.

The submitted programme ideas should include the following: A proposed title, a running order for the first programme along with a list of guests/packages for the series. details of the production team including previous experience and suggested presenter(s). Producers submit ideas into the RTÉ eCommissioning system at e-commissioning.rte.ie under the programme category "Sport - Tender - GAA Midweek Programming" by close of business on Monday 11th April 2011.

The RTÉ Sport website gives further advice to would be applicants, saying: "The series will be hosted from our Donnybrook studio but we would like to hear your ideas on how best we might use facilities at our regional studios. Thought should be given to introducing an interactive element that will enhance the editorial content of the programme. Evidence of an understanding and knowledge of the GAA at county and club level will be crucial to our final decision."

For further information contact RTÉ Sport's Lorraine McFadden by clicking here: lorraine.mcfadden@rte.ie.

Eamonnca1

stephenite

Exactly-Breaking Ball, as a magazine show was absolutely brilliant. Bet they go with some soccer AM style of show

Celt_Man

Quote from: stephenite on March 30, 2011, 12:51:08 AM
Exactly-Breaking Ball, as a magazine show was absolutely brilliant. Bet they go with some soccer AM style of show

Which is some dose of shite of a show....

If they went back to a breaking ball type show, it would be hard to go wrong
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Bill Haven

Some sort of Sunday Supplement show would work well and be quite cheap to produce.

Shamrock Shore

The history of the GAA in Longford could be summarised nicely in an 18 part show.

Gripping telly, I am sure you'd agree!

Wee Roddy

Does anyone else think that RTE have a ready made commentator in Hector of Radio 2 anf TNG fame sitting in front of their eyes. I could listen to him on the Radio all day

AbbeySider

Quote from: Wee Roddy on March 30, 2011, 08:42:38 AM
Does anyone else think that RTE have a ready made commentator in Hector of Radio 2 anf TNG fame sitting in front of their eyes. I could listen to him on the Radio all day

+1

He would be good on a GAA show. He comes across not pretending or trying to lose his accent or heritage.

RadioGAAGAA

Have RTE ever done a kinda "house renovations", but only as concerns a GAA club?

Ye know, look at a couple of clubs building new developments/renovating old ones, what went right, what went wrong, what they'd do different.

Might provide some useful information for other clubs looking to do their own work in the coming months/years.
i usse an speelchekor

Hardy

Declan

QuoteChrist Almighty.

Think he might be hard too get to host it though Hardy

Jinxy

Just bring back Breaking Ball.
No new crap.
No 'appealing to the ABC1 demographic.'
No focus groups.
Just bring it back.
I dunno why ye ever got rid of it to begin with!  >:(
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Shamrock Shore

If Hectah commentated on the telly on the All Ireland final with Longford playing whoever and I couldn't get a ticket I would prefer teletext than listen to the goon.

No offence to his Meath compatriots on the board here.

AZOffaly

Yeah, a breaking ball type magazine show. You wouldn't struggle to fill 26 minutes.

I'd go with something along the lines of:

1) Preview of the matches coming up that weekend.
2) On site interview with manager/players of that weekends live games.
3) Footage (if available) of selected previous games between the combatants in the live games.
3) A Betting preview of all games on that weekend.
4) Some sort of light hearted 10 questions type interview with a big name (or smaller name) player on duty in any of the games that weekend (i.e. Who would you take on a desert island, Which player on the team is the most/least stylish, Who thinks they are a great singer, Who's the biggest poser, Who's the worst trainer etc, etc).
5) A Celebrity versus ExPlayer prediction competition running throughout the year.
e.g. Enda Kenny + Neil Lennon + Shay Given versus Seamus Darby + Jack O'Shea + David Brady in football
        Grainne Seoige + Shane Long + Niall Quinn versus Liam Griffin + Angela Downey + Johnny Pilkington in Hurling

stephenite