Armagh vs Galway Athletic Grounds 03.04.2011

Started by mackers, March 29, 2011, 11:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Utterly shambolic, Galway were decent but not great Armagh were as poor as I've ever seen an Armagh team. Completely clueless and devoid of any game plan. That said had they taken any of the four good goal chances they had the could very easily have won the game.

On an almost related point I was asked at the match what if any relation is John Murtagh to Donal Murtagh?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

orchard 8195

Quote from: David McKeown on April 03, 2011, 05:03:42 PM
Utterly shambolic, Galway were decent but not great Armagh were as poor as I've ever seen an Armagh team. Completely clueless and devoid of any game plan. That said had they taken any of the four good goal chances they had the could very easily have won the game.

On an almost related point I was asked at the match what if any relation is John Murtagh to Donal Murtagh?
john is donals nephew. dont even know what to say. Brutal today!!

tevez

There should be a barrage of phonecalls, txts letters sent to the Irish News calling for POR Resignation!!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: PatDaly on April 03, 2011, 05:02:37 PM
The scoring difference between Armagh and Monaghan is only 4 points! Armagh -10, Monaghan -14 (and Galway are -23).

http://www.hoganstand.com/general/tables/FootballTables.aspx

If Galway beat Dublin in Pearse Stadium (The Dubs will likely play an experimental side) and Monaghan beat Mayo at home in Inniskeen and Armagh get beat by Cork at  Páirc Uí Chaoimh then Armagh, Galway and Monaghan will all finish on 4 points. I think in this scenario it would come down to scoring difference. Its therefore likely that Armagh and Galway would be relegated!

Monaghan only need to win by 1 point against Mayo assuming Cork beat Armagh by more than 3 points.

And if Galway win and Monaghan don't we're gone as well.

Basically a Galway victory against Dublin will, in all likelihood relegate us barring an unforeseeable Armagh draw or victory away to Cork. If Galway don't beat Dublin then we are safe no matter what.

Its worth pointing out that the only positive was the performance of Jamie Clarke. Between himself and Stevie they could probably have won the match on their own had they been presented with anything approaching a decent supply of possession.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Triggerhappy

Relegation is based on head to head if points are equal. BAsically if armagh lose to cork and galway beat dublin then armagh go down with monaghan who cannot stay up due to armagh beating them.
Very disappointed with armaghs performance this afternoon. GAlways halfbacks of o'donnell and sice absolutely murdered us. Sice cleaned out nippy, duffy and vernon. Vernon was particularly poor especially at tracking back.
O'Donnell and clarke showed glimpses of class but we kicked an awful lot of wides. take into context that they were missing meehan and armstrong - armagh are in diffs come down in championship. Heart alone wont win that one!!

pearseog

who in the right mind would waste their hard earned wages to go to cork next weekend after that tripe today. shocking, absolutely shocking...

seafoid

Jaysus, what a turnaround for Galway. Nothing like the return of a few decent players.
And Ormaugh ? What now? Down 1 match away and all..

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Triggerhappy on April 03, 2011, 05:22:00 PM
Relegation is based on head to head if points are equal. BAsically if armagh lose to cork and galway beat dublin then armagh go down with monaghan who cannot stay up due to armagh beating them.
Very disappointed with armaghs performance this afternoon. GAlways halfbacks of o'donnell and sice absolutely murdered us. Sice cleaned out nippy, duffy and vernon. Vernon was particularly poor especially at tracking back.
O'Donnell and clarke showed glimpses of class but we kicked an awful lot of wides. take into context that they were missing meehan and armstrong - armagh are in diffs come down in championship. Heart alone wont win that one!!

Monaghan can stay up and indeed I'd nearly expect them to.

Triggerhappy

On RTE radio on way home, Des Cahill insisted that Monaghan are already relegated!!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: bigfrank on April 03, 2011, 05:31:43 PM
Quote from: PatDaly on April 03, 2011, 05:07:39 PM
http://www.hoganstand.com/armagh/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=140277

John is Donal's nephew

How did Johnny Murtagh do on his first league start???

4 attempts for points, 3 wide and one against the crossbar. Hauled off at half-time. At least he got into the game though which is actually more than can be said for other forwards who were utterly anonymous.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Triggerhappy on April 03, 2011, 05:30:34 PM
On RTE radio on way home, Des Cahill insisted that Monaghan are already relegated!!

Des is wrong, a 4 + point defeat for Armagh, coupled with a Galway victory of less than 10 points would mean that Monaghan only have to win to survive. If Monaghan were to win by 3 or 4 points then only an Armagh draw or victory or a huge Galway win would deny them survival.

Armamike

Quote from: seafoid on April 03, 2011, 05:24:45 PM
Jaysus, what a turnaround for Galway. Nothing like the return of a few decent players.
And Ormaugh ? What now? Down 1 match away and all..

Where's that?

Didn't get to the match today but tbh the result shouldn't be too much of a shock. I wouldn't put good money on Armagh this year against any opposition.  Clueless on the line and a badly organised team.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Abble

i neve wanted to join the posse callin for o'rourke's head but after today i'm inclined to think he maybe hasnt a notion what he's at.

after 15 mins it was clear how galway half backs were in the ascendency, the number 7 in particular, was it Sice ? but after about another dozen attacks from him and 4 markers, (nippy, vernon, duffy and lavery) he killed us everytime and his attacks always resulted in something for galway.

so as that one situation was clearly not handled in the proper way that tells me paddy o'rourke now has to take a certain amount of responsibilty. who was the right man to mark sice, it certainly wasnt one the 4 names above.

this one thing apart, both sides would have been pretty even.

clarke is something special, worth the admission alone.