our_fella

TacadoirArdMhacha

Hearty

Mallon       Toner         Donaghy

Kernan      McKeever   Duffy

Vernon       McKenna

Dyas          Padden      Mackin

J Clarke       Swift        McDonnell

On the highlighted areas, Toner was tried at FB, and got rosted, during the McKenna cup. Donaghy may have had a few poor games, but look @ the men he was marking. Onto McKenna, from watching Cross, he has very rarely lorded MF in games, and from men inside the team, he's a very lazy player. The HF line, people have been crying out for scores in this area, yet you have placed Dyas ( a HB), BJP ( HB/sweeper) and Mackin (MF) in the one line, where do you see us getting scores from there? Tony Kernan deserves a run in that team, was one of Cross's most consistent players throughout the c'ship

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: our_fella on March 30, 2011, 03:48:02 AM
TacadoirArdMhacha

Hearty

Vernon       McKenna

On the highlighted areas, Toner was tried at FB, and got rosted, during the McKenna cup. Donaghy may have had a few poor games, but look @ the men he was marking. Onto McKenna, from watching Cross, he has very rarely lorded MF in games, and from men inside the team, he's a very lazy player. The HF line, people have been crying out for scores in this area, yet you have placed Dyas ( a HB), BJP ( HB/sweeper) and Mackin (MF) in the one line, where do you see us getting scores from there? Tony Kernan deserves a run in that team, was one of Cross's most consistent players throughout the c'ship

Marty Clarke, Danny Hughes & Benny Coulter
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

DuffleKing

TacadoirArdMhacha

Hearty

Vernon       McKenna

Hmmm. While i don't necessarily agree with tac's team, i don't see the logic in some of your reasoning our fella.

Dismissing Toner as a full back because he was poor in the one game we tried him there in three years does not mean he cannot cut it at number 3. There is an argument to be made for toner at full back but to make it a success he would need a McKenna cup and League campaign there to readjust.

While i would play dyas at wing back, it is folly to dismiss him as an option at wing forward. Did he not play there for his club last year and if memory serves he scored three points in the county final with ak marking him. This talk of "scoring forwards" in the half forward line is very misguided. the h forward line must contribute on the score board but it also has responsibilities beyond scoring. no good having three sharp shooters hanging around there who can't get their hands on the ball. tony kernan falls into that category in my view. he's a good finisher, no doubt, but struggles with tight (physical) marking and even club games pass him by.

That said i, like i think everyone else, feel that the balance in the h forward line is all wrong. While they have done ok, i don't see the function of bjp and Mackin. they are a sweeper and midfielder respectively, leaving one attack orientated h forward. if they want to play a sweeper, fine, but use someone that can bring a bit of creativity to the role. Do we need a third midfielder? my view would be no, but given this years performances we need someone in there who can win us some breat ball.

But tac - he's a down man!

mackers

Quote from: bennydorano on March 29, 2011, 07:36:00 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on March 29, 2011, 01:12:26 PM
Hard to believe that Tony Kernan is on the panel ahead of Stephen.  Going by the Ulster all ireland club series stephen looked by far the classier player and performed in what is a problem position for the county.
I reckon SK had a run in with Donal Murtagh somewhere along the way, there's no other explanation for it, other than POR & DM are blind to the obvious.

The Cross boys coming back has the potential to a lot of things, positive and negative. Mackers possible line out makes me wince tbh.  David McKenna coming in could cause a headache, another natural MF'er who could be accomodated somewhere unbalancing us further.  We could quite possibly string 5 MF'ers across the MF & HF line Lavery, Toner, Mackin, McKenna & Vernon, hope not but it wouldn't suprise me. Finnian Mo has done nothing to deserve the chop, neither has Dyas, but both could be under pressure from McKeown and AK.

The team i would like to see line out

Hearty
Mallon, Donaghy, f Mo
Dyas, McKeever, Duffy
     Vernon & Toner
Nippy, Brian Mallon, Mackin
Jamie, Stevie, AK (roving)

Christ knows what will start thou, hard to see BJP getting dropped.  David McKenna deserves a run out, but theres something about that fella that makes me think he's either not interested/doesn't believe in himself, plus I doubt he'd be consistent enough for inter-county MF.   Hopefully F Hanratty and Cunningham are there to gather experience as I cant see them having any impact this year.
I agree with you on all the highlighted bits. I wouldn't start to mess with our MF which has been one of our highlights of the league campaign to date, however, we have obvious problems in our HF line and I see him as a POTENTIAL solution to our problem. For a guy of 6 ft 3 or 4 he can move very quickly and can take a score., Up to this point he hasn't shown well for the county so it's time for him to sh1te or get off the pot. We have to have a good look at him to now if he is going to feature come the 28th of May. We know what Malachy mackin can do, the same can be said for Finn Mo. Neither man has let us down in the last few matches but we have to use what's left in the league to look at our options so I'd throw McKenna and McKeown in there.  I don't think that putting these guys in lessens the chances of us winning what is two vital league points.
Quote from: PAULD123 on March 29, 2011, 01:51:04 PM
Okay Mackers I promise not to say anything bitchy on this thread.

How come you have left out BJP? Do you not rate him? I would have thought Paddy O'Rourke will play A. Kernan at half back and BJP at Half forward

Also you dropped Gurgan. I've been impressed with him in the two games against Down. Don't you think the more he plays the better for his development?
Again, we now know what BJP brings to the party and to be honest he doesn't bring a whole lot of scores from the HF line which is the main weakness in our team, I want to look at other options available to us now.
Rory Grugan will be best used as a sub for the rest of the year. He lacks the physicality required for senior inter county football but his vision and scoring ability could be used when there is that bit more space in the second half.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Applesisapples

Hard to believe that Tony Kernan is on the panel ahead of Stephen.  Going by the Ulster all ireland club series stephen looked by far the classier player and performed in what is a problem position for the county.
Both should have been there, there is more scores in tony but Stephen is good at winning primary possesion and good with break ball to, although he can be wasteful. But Donal Murtagh always seemed to have  with him even at Cross where he was in and out and rarely got a starting number.

GalwayBayBoy

A bit of good news finally.

QuoteUnder-fire Galway manager Tomas O Flatharta has been boosted by the news that Michael Meehan should be fit for the county's Connacht SFC campaign.

An ankle injury has prevented Meehan from pulling on a Galway jersey since the Connacht championship defeat to Sligo nine months ago.

With the Caltra star no nearer a return to action in recent weeks, when he was effectively ruled out of the county's entire Allianz National League programme, there had been speculation that he would also miss his side's 2011 championship campaign.

But O Flatharta has revealed that his joint-captain has received good news from the medics this week.

Quoted in the Irish Examiner, he said, "It didn't look good for Michael a week ago but, thankfully, after meeting with the surgeon he got good news.

"The surgeon removed some scar tissue that was inhibiting his mobility, so after nine or ten days rest he should be ready to resume his rehab. The Galway manager said there has no chance of Meehan playing in the remainder of the league.

"We cannot put him under too much pressure to come back though. He is a very important player for us and he will need the right time to complete his rehab."

DuffleKing

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 30, 2011, 12:20:27 PM
Both should have been there, there is more scores in tony but Stephen is good at winning primary possesion and good with break ball to, although he can be wasteful. But Donal Murtagh always seemed to have  with him even at Cross where he was in and out and rarely got a starting number.

Your just picked stephen's two biggest weaknesses. A ball winner he is not. But when he gets the ball he can certainly play and create. His problem in previous incarnations has been getting enough ball in his hands to be effective.

Applesisapples

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 30, 2011, 01:13:16 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 30, 2011, 12:20:27 PM

Your just picked stephen's two biggest weaknesses. A ball winner he is not. But when he gets the ball he can certainly play and create. His problem in previous incarnations has been getting enough ball in his hands to be effective.
You obviously didn't watch Cross' Championship games SK won loads of possession but sometimes the passes were misplaced or wrong options taken. Still should be there. IMO

bennydorano

SK is a fine fielder of a ball, dunno about winning dirty ball thou.

PAULD123

Mackers. I agree that BJP is not brining points to Armagh but he appeared to me to be putting in a good work rate. What about your other games, would you agree? The reason I am interested is because obviously there was a lot of interest when he transferred I thought you already had better players. After seeing him for a few games now is that what you feel?

As far as Grugan goes, I can only say that on the two occasions I saw him I was impressed. What about playing him in the corner where it is a little less physical? If he was a Down man I think I would be wanting him to play as much as possible. He looked fast, eager and skillful to me.

BerfArmagh

TacadoirArdMhacha

Hearty

Vernon       McKenna

I don't agree with the team selcetion above at all. As stated Toner has been outstanding in midfield this year, him and vernon have been all that has been good this year for Armagh. Also Moriarity has done nothing wrong to warrant exclusion, any man that keeps the gooch to 2 points from play has been doing his job. For the Galway Match I would go with the following

Hearty

Mallon       Donaghy         Moriarity

Kernan      McKeever   Dyas

Vernon       McKenna

Swift       S Kernan,  Padden   Duffy

J Clarke       McDonnell

I know I know going back to the dreaded 2 man full forward line. I would have kernan (Who can run at pace with the ball) picking up up breaking ball from the kick-ouut contests, with padded performing defensive and similar duties when presented, Duffy is too lose for my liking as a defender, has show he can take a score and is worth a nod to see what he can provide as an attacker.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: BerfArmagh on March 31, 2011, 11:59:14 AM
TacadoirArdMhacha

Hearty

Vernon       McKenna

I don't agree with the team selcetion above at all. As stated Toner has been outstanding in midfield this year, him and vernon have been all that has been good this year for Armagh. Also Moriarity has done nothing wrong to warrant exclusion, any man that keeps the gooch to 2 points from play has been doing his job. For the Galway Match I would go with the following

Hearty

Mallon       Donaghy         Moriarity

Kernan      McKeever   Dyas

Vernon       McKenna

Swift       S Kernan,  Padden   Duffy

J Clarke       McDonnell

I know I know going back to the dreaded 2 man full forward line. I would have kernan (Who can run at pace with the ball) picking up up breaking ball from the kick-ouut contests, with padded performing defensive and similar duties when presented, Duffy is too lose for my liking as a defender, has show he can take a score and is worth a nod to see what he can provide as an attacker.

Berf I agree with you about the majority of the team but the unfortunate thing is that Stephen Kernan is not on the panel!  Also after saying that the MF is the one constant of the League so far and eulogising how well Toner has bee playing there you go and change it!  I presume you forgot to move Toner there instead of McKenna.  I would more or less go with the same team with Swift into no 11, and TK in the no 10 position.  I feel that Mallon offers more than BJP but it really is  toss up between them as neither have been outstanding.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Franny Hanratty get a start.

mackers

Quote from: PAULD123 on March 31, 2011, 11:31:27 AM
Mackers. I agree that BJP is not brining points to Armagh but he appeared to me to be putting in a good work rate. What about your other games, would you agree? The reason I am interested is because obviously there was a lot of interest when he transferred I thought you already had better players. After seeing him for a few games now is that what you feel?

As far as Grugan goes, I can only say that on the two occasions I saw him I was impressed. What about playing him in the corner where it is a little less physical? If he was a Down man I think I would be wanting him to play as much as possible. He looked fast, eager and skillful to me.
BJP is a workhorse who has done OK since he has come in but has brought nothing to the team that we didn't already have. Grugan, on the other hand, is going to be a massive player for us in years to come, but I'd worry that his confidence may suffer if he continues to be outmuscled and not get on the ball like he has done in recent games. It was always going to be a gamble starting him this year and I'm not sure it has paid off. I'd use him as a sub and let him bulk up a little (don't want him to overcook that side of things either just able to take the hits a bit better) and he'll be a clinker in the next few years.

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 31, 2011, 12:34:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Franny Hanratty get a start.
I'd be very surprised BC, he was hauled ashore early doors in Croker and rightly so, same happened in Navan (didn't it?). He seems to have gone back over the last twelve months or so. I'd still give McKenna a go at WHF.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

brokencrossbar1

He is still a natural whf who on his day can score, and this is something armagh are lacking. Form may not be what it was but he is as good an option as o rourke, grugan or murtagh.

TacadoirArdMhacha

I don't disagree that the midfield has been decent this year though I'd argue that Onet has pretty much been steady while its the development of Charlie Vernon into something approaching the player he seemed destined to be which has really improved us in this sector.

But McKenna is a decent option who deserves a chance to show what he can do. What is the point of having him on the panel if you aren't going to play him? Surely its better to give him a run against Galway than asking him to make his first impact in a match away to the All Ireland champions.

I'd to to have a look at Toner at full back for the simple reason that our options in that line appear so thin that he could well get forced into the position in an emergency during the Summer.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead