Shankill Butchers program 28-03-11

Started by Denn Forever, March 28, 2011, 08:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 28, 2011, 10:06:45 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on March 28, 2011, 10:02:55 PM
Supposedly the forces colluded with the Ra to get on of the main men in the UVF...  ???

Nope - some loyalists fitted up Murphy to get him shot for their own reasons - probably related to power struggles within their own community. Murphy and his crew had previously executed some other loyalists during feuds.

I should listen a little more attentively and not miss key pieces of info
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Cold tea

Couldn't bring myself to watch it - attempted to read the book many times - bastards - shooting was too good for these c***ts!

fitzroyalty

Thought the show was good, I wasn't  surprised by Nolan and felt he would  cover it well which he did. Would recommend the book, a lot more chilling. Definite short-comings on the RUC's behalf IMO.

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2011, 10:12:23 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 28, 2011, 09:24:54 PM
Quote from: screenmachine on March 28, 2011, 09:22:25 PM
I'm expecting the camera to flick to Nolan and him to be filling his face with fast food. This police man seems like a right useless cnut as well no harm to him...
I've only one eye on it here but did I hear right - the policeman said on one breath everyone in the shankhill knew and then on the next that the uvf didn't know.
Yon oul woman with the grey hair seems a right bitch too.
Nolan actually seems to be doing ok too, I normally can't stand him.

Baroness May Blood is a hard working woman who from working in the Mills for many years on the Crumlin road threw herself into community work and cross community work, still to this day she works hard at trying to change attitudes within her own area. I'd say she has done a lot more than you POG

Read the book many years ago and know the girl that was on talking about her dad who was killed, the pain they suffered was immense and they have never got over the loss of their dad.

Only for the survivor this gang would have continued, the police were useless but in fairness knowing who was in this gang would not have ended with a conviction.

Thought Nolan surprisingly did a good job on a difficult topic that would certainly embarrass the prod community

I would echo that about May Blood, mother in law worked with her years ago in the Blackstaff Mill and said you couldn't get better.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rois

Read the book many years ago and know the girl that was on talking about her dad who was killed, the pain they suffered was immense and they have never got over the loss of their

Her story brought tears to my eyes when she described being caught up in one of the murderers' funerals. God but that must have been unbearable, I can't even start to imagine.

Milltown Row2

I taught in a Training centre on the Shankill for over 3 years, (shit myself most days :o) and May was the companies Chairwoman. Great job she done to
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Minder on March 28, 2011, 10:21:22 PM
I'm expecting the camera to flick to Nolan and him to be filling his face with fast food. This police man seems like a right useless cnut as well no harm to him...
I've only one eye on it here but did I hear right - the policeman said on one breath everyone in the shankhill knew and then on the next that the uvf didn't know.

Baroness May Blood is a hard working woman who from working in the Mills for many years on the Crumlin road threw herself into community work and cross community work, still to this day she works hard at trying to change attitudes within her own area. I'd say she has done a lot more than you POG

Read the book many years ago and know the girl that was on talking about her dad who was killed, the pain they suffered was immense and they have never got over the loss of their dad.

Only for the survivor this gang would have continued, the police were useless but in fairness knowing who was in this gang would not have ended with a conviction.

Thought Nolan surprisingly did a good job on a difficult topic that would certainly embarrass the prod community

I would echo that about May Blood, mother in law worked with her years ago in the Blackstaff Mill and said you couldn't get better.
I take what yous say but it had annoyed me when she basically said that shankill people shut their doors to the murders and then on the next breath complained about the media calling them the shankill butchers and giving the shankill a bad name basically.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Quote from: Rois on March 28, 2011, 10:23:35 PM

Read the book many years ago and know the girl that was on talking about her dad who was killed, the pain they suffered was immense and they have never got over the loss of their

Her story brought tears to my eyes when she described being caught up in one of the murderers' funerals. God but that must have been unbearable, I can't even start to imagine.

Same here, just unreal. I don't know how anyone could deal with witnessing that.

Testing Accessibility

Milltown Row2

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 28, 2011, 10:28:44 PM

I take what yous say but it had annoyed me when she basically said that shankill people shut their doors to the murders and then on the next breath complained about the media calling them the shankill butchers and giving the shankill a bad name basically.

Same way if people were calling all the people that lived on the Falls were murdering scum, or South Armagh men are smugglers ;)

You can't generalise
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2011, 10:32:48 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 28, 2011, 10:28:44 PM

Same way if people were calling all the people that lived on the Falls were murdering scum, or South Armagh men are smugglers ;)

You can't generalise
But no one was saying they were all butchers, at the same time there was the Yorkshire ripper - no one was saying that everyone in Yorkshire were serial killers either.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

I thought the show was well done and Nolan covered it well. I don't expect the police man will be too pleased with how he looked.

I'd concur with what has been said about May Blood - she has always seemed pretty decent. She sits in the House of Lords for Labour these days.

Orangemac

Nolan did well on this (although he has put on more weight since I last saw him if that is possible).

Nesbitt seemed to have no shame in the level of incompetence shown by the RUC. How widespread a search of all taxis in the area was carried out at the time?

Sickening seeing the way Bates and Moore were treated as heroes. What is about loyalists who glorify psychos? Stone, Adair, Murphy, Wright.

Republicans carried out atrocious acts over the years but there is no widespread glorification of it.

Orior

The bit at the end of the show was the most horredous for me. Half of the gang have been released from prison, and are walking the streets today.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gold

Quote from: ziggysego on March 28, 2011, 09:44:14 PM
Surprised to learn that one of the former Big Brother psychologists was in a gang with one of the Shankill Butchers.
Nolan is covering himself well, unlike his suit.

Aye--what was this gang they were talking about? Was it just a kids gang or a UVF gang he was involved in. Was a bit random including him in the show for only 30seconds with no real explanation.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Oraisteach

Anyone know if the BBC archives these documentaries