Monaghan v Kerry - 3rd April 2011

Started by Kerry Mike, March 28, 2011, 05:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

Allianz Football League Roinn 1 Round 6 Monaghan V Kerry
Time: 2 30 PM, Venue: Inniskeen

Have been looking forward to this game for a while given the make up of my household and will make off Inniskeen on Sunday for a gawk at it. 

We have step 1 of 3 against Ulster teams complete with the win over Armagh last time out and with this away game and home to Down in the last leg to come we should have 2 firm and good challanges to face into the championship with. With a it being a must win game for Monaghan they will throw the kitchen sink at us which is exactly what you want this time of the year. Monaghan have done well enough in the league but the results have not come their way and now its a battle for survival for them.

Marc O'Se should be back after his recent bout of CCCC suspensionitis and with a further 2 weeks training Declan O'Sullivan and Paul Galvin should be chomping at the bit for a starting place after getting a run of the bench last time out in Armagh. No other injuries to note and that is a healthy sign for us hopefully for later in the summer with the panel taking a good shape. The win in Armagh may have secured our Div 1 Status for this year but I can't see Jack O'Connor or the players slackening off one iota, there are many places up for grabs before the championship and with the U21's impressing last week there are a few of them too to come into the reckoning in June time.

I think Killian Young has done well at Full Back recently instead of Marc O'Se and may be tried again against Monaghan and likewise Eoin Brosnan in the centre back role. I would have Marc in one corner and expect Tom O'Sullivan in the other leaving Tomas in his customary No 5 geansai, No 7 could be any number of players , bit I'd give Daniel Bohane a run.

Scanlon and Moran are the likely duo in Midfield with runs for Maher also likely.

I'd stick with Darren O'Sullivan on the "forty" where he has done really well and he should have a good bout with Dessie Mone, the 2 wing men will be from Paul Galvin, Donnacha Walsh, Brian Sheehan and Declan O'Sullivan with a full forward line revolving around Kieran Donaghy and Colm Cooper with Kieran O'Leary possibly getting another start but also Declan O'Sullivan may be fitted in the corner in a roving role. Much to look forward to but am also looking forward to seeing the shape of a new look Monaghan team.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Bingo

Massive game for Monaghan, they have been impressive yet unrewarded up to the Down game when if truth be told, they took a bit of a hiding and disappointed.

Darren Hughes and Gavin Doogan will be big misses, while the forwards have failed to get the scores. They still miss the big target man on edge of square that will win ball and break it to forwards, only way to break down a crowded defence and against Down this caused many of Monaghans problems.

Tommy Freeman got a full game under his belt yesterday and that'll help him and by all accounts he had a very good second half. Chrissy McGuinness was excellent in same game I heard and Ballybay had 1 to spare over Maghercloone.

Monaghan really have to go for it and not rely on beating Mayo in last game. In the past they have given Kerry a good game in Monaghan.

Maguire01

Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 28, 2011, 05:24:46 PM
With a it being a must win game for Monaghan
It's not a must win game at all. Even if we were to win, we still need at least a draw against Mayo.

Unless Mayo beat Cork, we 'need' nothing from this game as it will all come down to the last day anyway. But we can keep our destiny in our own hands if we come out of this with at least 1 point.

Still, wouldn't mind a win!

armaghniac

Kerry looked in good shape against Armagh, and Monaghan were poor enough in Newry. I wouldn't be tipping a Monaghan win here.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on March 28, 2011, 06:36:21 PM
Kerry looked in good shape against Armagh, and Monaghan were poor enough in Newry. I wouldn't be tipping a Monaghan win here.
I wouldn't necessarily be tipping a Monaghan win, but it's hard to see them being as bad as they were in Newry, especially as the game is in Inniskeen. And whilst Kerry were a lot better than Armagh, they didn't convert all of their superiority into scores.

PAULD123

Don't get me wrong I hope Monaghan do beat Kerry. It woudl be good for Down but also you are an Ulster side. But to be honest boys I don't think you have a mission. But good luck anyway.

Even for Down I don't expect much. I've booked my hotel for Killarney but am focusing on doing some sightseeing so its not all a wasted trip.

Maguire01

Quote from: PAULD123 on March 28, 2011, 08:01:19 PM
Don't get me wrong I hope Monaghan do beat Kerry. It woudl be good for Down but also you are an Ulster side. But to be honest boys I don't think you have a mission. But good luck anyway.

Even for Down I don't expect much. I've booked my hotel for Killarney but am focusing on doing some sightseeing so its not all a wasted trip.
Hard to beat a positive attitude!

GrandMasterFlash

Monaghan have a lot of key men out for this one (http://www.hoganstand.com/monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=145220) so it really IS up to the new lads.. They have given a decent account of themselves to date but they need to get across the line! Can that happen this Sunday? Anything's possible in Kavanagh country...

Kerry Mike

Lennon, Finlay, Corey and Hughes are 4 big central losses for Monaghan if they all dont play, It will be a big test for the Monaghan panel but character building at the same time, sometimes when you are really up against it you get the most from players.

Tommy Griffin is due back training in the next week or so with Kerry so we should have a full hand to play with, with the exception of 5 or 6 U21's who will not take part with the Munster final coming up next week against Cork.,
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Maguire01

Those are absolutely massive losses for Monaghan - four of our biggest players, both in terms of physicality and importance. Kerry have a big team at the minute and having been at their game in Armagh, it was some of those big players that were making the difference.

It's a pity, because I really think that our full team could have turned Kerry over here for once, with the game being in Inniskeen. But having seen how the game in Newry went after Lennon was taken off, i'd have little confidence.

timmyot501

T Mac an t'Saoir; P Reidy, M Ó Sé, A O'Connell; A O'Mahony, K Young, D Bohan; D Moran, A Maher; Declan O'Sullivan, Darran O'Sullivan, P Galvin; K O'Leary, K Donaghy, D Geaney

Strong line up even without Cooper, Tomas O'Sé, Bryan Sheehan and Tom O'Sullivan.

Kerry Mike

I Like the new look to our half forward line and the full forward line is a bit experimental too, though O'Leary and Geaney deserve a chance to start, Eoin Brosnan, Tomas Ó Sé, Colm Cooper and Donnchadh Walsh are being rested. Bryan Sheehan is injured and Tom O'Sullivan has the flu.

Tomas Mac a t'Saoir gets another outing in goal. Marc O'Se Se come back in at full back and Killuian Young in the centre. Daniel Bohana gets a rare start on the wing while Maher and Moran get the starting slots in midfield

1. Tomás Mac a t'Saoir (An Ghaeltacht)

2. Pádraig Reidy (Scartaglin) 3. Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 4) Adrian O'Connell (St Michael's Foilmore)
5. Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) 6. Killian Young (Renard) 7. Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks)

8. David Moran (Kerins O'Rahilly's) 9. Anthony Maher (Duagh)

10.Declan O'Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) 11. Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 12. Paul Galvin (Finuge)

13 Kieran O'Leary (Captain) (Dr. Crokes) 14. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) 15. David Geaney (An Daingean)

The substitutes that will travel are as follows: Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin) Seamus Scanlon (Currow)  Shane Enright (Tarbert)
Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmett's) Gary O'Driscoll (Skellig Rangers) Alan O'Sullivan (Tuosist) Niall O'Mahony (Spa) Johnny Buckley (Dr. Crokes) JB Spillane (Castlegregory)  and  Danny O'Sullivan (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

PAULD123

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 28, 2011, 08:29:15 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on March 28, 2011, 08:01:19 PM

Hard to beat a positive attitude!

Now I have seen the Kerry team I think Monaghan could be able to press their half back line with good effect. But it seems that you also have a lot of players out. Anyway, good luck.

Main Street

Kerry at generous odds of 8/15 to win against the Monaghan minors, in a 2 horse race where Kerry could endure a few falls, leisurely remount and still win handy.

Kerry Mike

QuoteKerry at generous odds of 8/15 to win against the Monaghan minors, in a 2 horse race where Kerry could endure a few falls, leisurely remount and still win handy.

We never win handy against Monaghan, we usually struggle to put ye away, expect Sunday to be no different.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football