Monaghan v Kerry - 3rd April 2011

Started by Kerry Mike, March 28, 2011, 05:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

When is the last time Managhan bate Kerry?

Main Street

If Kerry were playing the Monaghan remedial clinic select 15, they would still be talking about struggle and never win handy.

Farneylawd2011

It shall be a tough game for Monaghan tomorow.Eamonn McEneaney will be without a number of key men for tomorow game.Midfielder Eoin Lennon has been ruled out of the two remaining Division One games with a calf muscle tear sustained in the last round again Down.

Darren Hughes is also expected to miss Sunday's game as he recovers from the neck injury suffered in the recent defeat to Dublin.

Vinny Corey is also likely to be ruled out by a hamstring injury and Paul Finlay is a doubt as he has a shoulder problem.

Also there is rumours that Damien Freeman as quit altogeter

Maguire01

Would have been fairly optinistic about this game a few weeks ago, especially with it being in Inniskeen. Then we had the Down match. Then I saw Kerry against Armagh, who were far better than their 4 point winning margin suggested.

Injuries are a big problem for us. Even with Kerry having men 'sit it out', it's still a formidable team. Without Lennon and Hughes we're missing serious presence and strength up the spine of the team. I wouldn't be overly worried about missing Corey at the minute as I don't think he's up to full match fitness. But if Finlay is definitely out then i'd be seriously worried. Here's hoping Tommy chooses today to rediscover his mojo and McManus has a good day at the office.

Point the car towards Inniskeen.

Main Street

Monaghan easily won the second half,
but Kerry win the game 1-14 to 0-11

Not relegated yet, according to the irrepressible Nudie Hughes.

charlie linkbox

Nope. Beaten but not gone just yet.
Let's say we beat Mayo next weekend, Galway beat Dublin (who will hopefully rest a few players for the league final) and Armagh lose to Cork.
Ourselves, Armagh and Galway will all finish on four points and you can't use the head-to head to decide who goes down because we beat Galway, Galway beat Armagh and Armagh beat us. It'll then go to points difference. We're on -14, Armagh are on -10  and Galway are on -24 at the minute so here's hoping Galway win, Cork trounce Armagh and we scrape by Mayo.
There's always hope!!!

Main Street

We haven't beaten Mayo since the mid 80's
Maybe our chances next week in Inniskeen are a bit better than if we had to beat a Mayo team who needed a result to stay up.? or is that clutching at straws?  I can't tell the difference.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Main Street on April 03, 2011, 06:01:48 PM
Maybe our chances next week in Inniskeen are a bit better than if we had to beat a Mayo team who needed a result to stay up.? or is that clutching at straws?  I can't tell the difference.

I think you'll stay up to be honest. The motivation of neccesity might be enough to inspire Monaghan and Galway victories while I can't see us getting within 3 points of a Cork team needing the victory to keep their League hopes alive. Hard to imagine Galway hammering Dublin so that would allow Monaghan to escape.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maguire01

Galway needing to beat Dublin makes our survival unlikely. I think we can beat Mayo and Cork can beat Armagh.

Terrible first half today. A few questions:
- Why did Monaghan opt to play into the wind when we won the toss?
- Why were no substitutions made in the first half?
- Why were all the goal kicks going long in the first half, when we were wiped out every time in mid-field?

Second half was a bit more promising and showed just why we need the likes of Darren Hughes. We just won't be able to compete missing the likes of Lennon, Finlay and Hughes.

Maguire01

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 03, 2011, 06:09:59 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 03, 2011, 06:01:48 PM

I think you'll stay up to be honest. The motivation of neccesity might be enough to inspire Monaghan and Galway victories while I can't see us getting within 3 points of a Cork team needing the victory to keep their League hopes alive. Hard to imagine Galway hammering Dublin so that would allow Monaghan to escape.
You lost me on the last sentence.

Main Street

I think TAM makes sense, he says that Galway can beat Dublin but they are unlikely to end up with a better points difference than Monaghan, should Monaghan beat Mayo.
In the event of Galway winning, their realistic hopes of survival would depend on Monaghan not winning.

Armagh are suddenly our brothers in the survival stakes. They need us more than we need them :)

Cosmo Kramer

We've been experimenting all the way through the league and with nothing to play for we're sure to be doing more of the same against Monaghan. Individuals will be trying to impress to secure starting spots for London but the result is irrelevant to us so if Monaghan want the win badly enough they should be able to take us out next Sunday.

The problem for you will be relying on Galway to do you a favour. At least they have something to play for but even with something of an experimental team out you'd worry that Dublin might be too good for them.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Main Street

It's a lifeline, an unexpected one after we were already resigned to relegation. And Galway have given us that lifeline.
So it would be very impolite of us to question the quality of the lifeline.

Maguire01