U21 football championship faces axe to ease burden on players

Started by GrandMasterFlash, March 01, 2007, 09:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

From today's Indo:

THE All-Ireland U-21 football championships may be in their last season as the GAA seeks to reduce the heavy workload on players as part of its battle against burnout.

Third-level college competitions could also face an overhaul with first-year students restricted to Freshers' activities, thereby rendering them ineligible for Sigerson Cup and possibly Fitzgibbon Cup competitions.

GAA President Nickey Brennan will next week announce the make-up of a special committee whose brief will be to draft proposals designed to assist players in the 16 to 21 age group, some of whom have incredibly punishing schedules.

The committee is certain to include newly-appointed Player Welfare Officer Paraic Duffy, who is a strong advocate of abolishing the All-Ireland U-21 football championship.

He also favours a system where first-year students in third-level colleges are restricted to Freshers' competitions only.

"We're placing far too many demands on our young players. Getting rid of the All-Ireland inter-county U-21 championships - certainly in football - would be a big help, as would a restriction on who can play in certain third-level competitions. We've simply got to draw the line somewhere," he said.

He was supported in his call for a review of the workload on some players by GPA chief Dessie Farrell, who said that the time had come to face up to the problem in a meaningful way.

Impossible

"Good young players who are involved with counties at senior and U-21 level, third-level colleges as well as their clubs are facing impossible pressures and that's without study and exams," he said.

"One of the major issues is the lack of liaison between various managers. If all team managers bought into the idea that the training schedule for these players is dictated by one programme and while everyone might need an input into that, the (senior) county team manager is probably the best man to implement it."

Duffy said the GAA had the research evidence to show that players were being burned out and would now set about addressing the problem.

"Best sports science says that players need a rest at the end of a season and that they also need a proper pre-season. However, because of the structures we have in the GAA they're getting neither, which is leading to more injuries and drop-out," he said.

While accepting that the All-Ireland U-21 championship is popular with players and the public he believes there's no time slot for the football competition any more.

It's currently played off in the spring at a time when players are involved in third-level and possibly senior activities while also busy with their studies. The U-21 hurling championship is played in late summer and early autumn and slots in much easier.

"There are fewer counties in the hurling championship so it's feasible to schedule it later on. That's not the case in football.

"It could be left up to individual counties if they wanted to play a club U-21 championship but I believe the inter-county one should go," he said.

Farrell agrees that the U-21 issue needs to be addressed and also believes that there needs to be more understanding of players' needs.

Situation

"You can have a situation where if a player opts out of a training session because of an injury niggle or sheer exhaustion, his commitment might be called into question.

"Also, a guy doesn't have to be on a gym programme for club, county and college. One programme will satisfy all these needs.

"Rest and recovery is every bit as important as training programmes but that's not always factored into schedules," he said.

It's expected that the special committee on players' needs will issue their recommendations sometime after this year's Congress in April. They may go before a Special Congress later in the year and, if passed, be implemented from 2008 on.

Martin Breheny

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A point occurred to me while reading this article. I take on board the congestion of fixtures for young players and understand the issues surrounding player burn-out and time-tabling study activities. Take for example though if some young lad is from a Junior or Intermediate club and does not attend University/College. Is he expected to move to senior inter-county championship football from minor? I know there are U21 leagues but does this not give the lad who attends Uni/College a completely unfair advantage by allowing him to play freshers/sigerson football while the club guy has to make the massive step from minor to senior? In saying all that, which is more important for a guy in transition from minor to senior, inter-county football or inter-college football?

tayto

Makes no sense to me. Why not only allow a player on one intercounty panel. Then you can kee the u21 grade and play the championship on the same days as senior to miniumise the knock on effect to clubs. Easy easy solution, it'd be a real shame to lose the U21 grades.

full back

Tayto, are you saying that if you are 19/20 you can only play on the Under 21's and not the Seniors or vice-versa?
Do you seriously this is an easy solution, you cant be serious

Croí na hÉireann

It would be a shame to lose the U21 grade but it probably does have to go. To address GMFs point about moving from minor to senior I'd change the minor grade from U18 to U19. That way there'll be less of a clash with the Leaving and a real competitive competition for the Freshers.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mannix

Its a shame if it goes.Maybe they could save it by not allowing a lad play u21 and senior in the same season.Burnout and lack of time for study and work is no joke if you are just about making the panel and not going to be a star that gets some sort of job or breaks from a sponsor.

tayto

Quote from: full back on March 01, 2007, 09:59:42 AM
Tayto, are you saying that if you are 19/20 you can only play on the Under 21's and not the Seniors or vice-versa?
Do you seriously this is an easy solution, you cant be serious

No, i'm saying if you're on the senior panel the u21 manager cant select you. The senior manager could have first pick, then the u21 and then minor. It'd weaken the appeal of the u21 grade but it's better then losing it altogether. It'd alo mean all three grade could be played onthe same day as they'd be three different sets of players. That way club weekens could be freed up, by compacting all three county grades on the same days.

Uladh

scrap the minors and u21s and have an u19 championship. the way the game is now, this is a better stepping stone age bracket and it would reduce the number of leaving and a level students under pressure in april/may.

winghalfun

The U-21 problem is even filtering down to club level were more and more clubs are wishing to protect their senior and minor players.
I know in Tyrone several clubs pulled out of the U-21 Championship at the last moment even though they were registered and the number of clubs registering to play is getting fewer and fewer.

brokencrossbar1

Uladh i have said that many times.  At 17/18 lads are at their most important developmental time.  They have generally reached their full height that they will but most times are too light to play senior football.  If they had an extra year playing at underage level it would assist in their move to senior football.  And the whole if he is good enough he is old enough argument is a ball of sh*te.  A young lad of 18 may be quicker than a wily corner back but he is easier hurt.  It is time to nurture them into senior football.  By playing them in too many levels it is providing the "professional" exponents more ammunition.

stephenite

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 01, 2007, 10:42:16 AM
Uladh i have said that many times.  At 17/18 lads are at their most important developmental time.  They have generally reached their full height that they will but most times are too light to play senior football.  If they had an extra year playing at underage level it would assist in their move to senior football.  And the whole if he is good enough he is old enough argument is a ball of sh*te.  A young lad of 18 may be quicker than a wily corner back but he is easier hurt.  It is time to nurture them into senior football.  By playing them in too many levels it is providing the "professional" exponents more ammunition.

Eactly BC - I think this may be the GAA's first shot across the bows of the GPA, reducing the workload on all players for GAA activities makes it harder for them to demand payment for same. As a member of the association that is strongly against the GPA I realise that something has got to give. Can't have it both ways

Fionntamhnach

Previously I would have been against scrapping the Under 21 championship but these days I'm not so sure - certainly the ages between 17-22 seem to be a prime period for burnout, there were "rookie" squads in the Ulster counties during the winter to fill the gap for players overage for minor but not at university but the competition between them collapsed as some counties did it half arsed.

Raising the minor age to Under 19 isn't a bad idea but I'd guess the main consequence would end up being Under 18 development squads.

INDIANA

good idea to get rid - personally i played for about 10-11 temas between the ages of 18-21 and ended up a physical wreck finished at 23. Managers don't give a rat's ass about players between these ages from my experience which would ahve involved county managers-club and sigerson. all they care about is themselves and their team- the welfare of the player is of the same concern as mud on my shoe. unless you've experienced this as aplayer it's very difficult for anyone to imagine what its like.

Bogball XV

I've said this before, U21 is a bit of a joke grade, there's no need for it, raise minor to u19 if you want.
From my own time playing it, it was pretty much a gather up of lads who'd played minor in the previous couple of years, going off to meet a well drilled Tyrone side and yet another hammering!!  It doesn't really serve a purpose as the players who are senior standard are training with the seniors, the rest aren't good enough and if they are they'll be spotted playing club football.  In saying that, given Derry only play 1 game a year, getting rid of it doesn't do us much good.