Cara Dillon

Started by ardal, March 25, 2011, 10:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardal

Who is this girl?
Great voice, but christ she plays up the accent (spelling) a bit, no?

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

balladmaker

There's nothing wrong with a singer singing in their natural accent.  It's when I hear Irish country music singers, singing with an American deep south twang, that I cringe...horrific stuff.

oakleaf stateside

she fre dungiven sur co derry
Dont Do It

omagh_gael

Quote from: balladmaker on March 26, 2011, 12:23:14 AM
There's nothing wrong with a singer singing in their natural accent.  It's when I hear Irish country music singers, singing with an American deep south twang, that I cringe...horrific stuff.

Yeah it'd make your skin crawl hearing them all trying to sound like a proper American country star who sings the real thing like Mike Denver.

Hardy

It's awful OK, but how is it different to Irish and English rock singers mangling their natural accents to try to sound American?

lawnseed

cara dillon and mary dillon ... class google youtube 'john condon' for cara dillon or 'army dreamers' for mary 8)

ps cara dillon is just back from the states where she has done loads of work for disney singing,voiceovers etc more power to her
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

theskull1

It was Mary who sang John Condon
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

EagleLord

I've long been an admirier of Cara Dillon. One of the things that appeals to me is the fact that she sings in her own accent. She sings great versions of Black is the colour, Streets of Derry and There were Roses. Best versions of those songs I have ever heard.

lawnseed

gerry anderson seems to be the only one who gives the dillon sisters airtime, for all his faults only for him i'd never have heard either of them
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: lawnseed on March 27, 2011, 10:41:18 AM
gerry anderson seems to be the only one who gives the dillon sisters airtime, for all his faults only for him i'd never have heard either of them

I can say the same myself.  Was listening to Gerry one morming on my way to work (Tunein radio for phone is the best app ever) and Cara Dillon came on singing Craigie Hill.  First time i ever heard her or the song and sounded so so good.  Been listening to her ever since!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-oquRLcmAM

JohnDenver

Quote from: EagleLord on March 26, 2011, 05:23:19 PM
I've long been an admirier of Cara Dillon. One of the things that appeals to me is the fact that she sings in her own accent. She sings great versions of Black is the colour, Streets of Derry and There were Roses. Best versions of those songs I have ever heard.

Check this girl out, very similar to Cara Dillon and as good if not better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3iNPtTI7Ts&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Has more songs on that YouTube channel too.

Unbelievable voice.

balladmaker

QuoteCheck this girl out, very similar to Cara Dillon and as good if not better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3iNPtTI7Ts&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Has more songs on that YouTube channel too.

Unbelievable voice.

Agree .. Catherine Grimley is superb, there is no better female vocalist in Ireland at present imo

Denn Forever

This Friday on BBC4.

20:30 Transatlantic Sessions (R) (T) Cara Dillon performs with Paul Brady and Darrell Scott, Aly Bain and Jerry Douglas duet on a version of Sophie's Lullaby, and Michael McGoldrick, Donal Lunny and Bruce Molsky appear for the grandstand finale.

The rest is Neil Diamond if you like him.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...