Is Rock Dead?

Started by Orangemac, March 23, 2011, 11:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

Just looking at the new bands thread below and catching tail end of Ian Dempseys show yesterday when they were discussing this in relation to something Bob Geldof said recently.

Maybe it is just that I am getting old and not down with the kids new music but are there any rock bands any more who can take on the mantle of rock legends.

Among the top earning bands in America last year were Bon Jovi, ACDC, Rollling Stones but it is music these bands were making 20 years ago that people are going to hear.

Every decent act from yesteryear has been pillaged for ads,computer games, musicals etc. In 20 years time who are the Monsters of Rock going to be?

Of current bands only Muse and Kings Of Leon (although they seem to have went more mainstream) stand out.

mannix

music in the usa definitely has a lot more guitars involved, greenday are probably the best of the modern bands and they barely rank beside the likes of bon jovi,whitesnake etc.  i have a few friends big into rock and they play bars but the rock stuff goes over the heads of the younger crowd.

nifan

Rock is a pretty generic term.

The Strokes and the foo fighters, Queens of the stone age are pretty big names.
The White Stripes just split up, but id expect more stuff from jack white.

thebigfella

Quote from: mannix on March 24, 2011, 02:57:02 AM
music in the usa definitely has a lot more guitars involved, greenday are probably the best of the modern bands and they barely rank beside the likes of bon jovi,whitesnake etc.  i have a few friends big into rock and they play bars but the rock stuff goes over the heads of the younger crowd.

This made me laugh, Bon Jovi is for people with zero taste in anything.

J70

Arcade Fire are pretty outstanding. And there is some decent rock out there. Don't know whether much of it will be considered classic in years to come though, as most never get to hear it, at least in the states where radio stations, even classic ones, have a list of only 150 or so songs that are on constant rotation. And top 40 music is f**king dreadful.

thejuice

I think time and another generation of people will tell who will be considered the rock legends from today are. All the bands you mentioned are still big today because younger generations have picked up on them. Big bands like Foreigner, Yes and Toto haven't caught on with a new generation so much whereas for me (and plenty others) hearing Black Sabbath for the first time in 1996 was an absolute revelation after listening to Nirvana and Green Day ad nauseum .

Also those bands came from a time when stadium rock was king. After the 90's and in particular such c**k rocking was largely shunned. And I dont think people could take a band with that sort of attitude seriously anymore. But bands like that do exist they just don't get much exposure.

Another thing in rock music is that a lot of the stuff pushed by the mainstream magazines like Kerrang are just terrible. They just try and create a fad and give new music it's own genre which are called such ridiculous things like Djent or Mathcore.

There's plenty of good rock music about its just never going to be as big as it was in the 80's. This is also down to bands also using the internet to promote themselves without a record label or just starting their own label and so wont get as much exposure but without having to compromise control over the music like they would to a bigger label.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

rossie mad

On the way to work this morning and the kinks and jimmy hendrix was played.Driving along and the sun shining the music really perked me up.
In great humour all morning.

I do think that some of the great bands mentioned are very much ahead of what we hear now bar maybe the kings of leon and arcaid fire.

omagh_gael

I think Kings of Leons first two albums will go down as classic rock, especially tracks like Tranny on Youth and Young Manhood. A real stomper.

Apart from themselves, foo fighters, arcade fire, White Stripes, Strokes and Kasabian There aren't a whole pile of good rock outfits out there.

isourboydownyet

Quote from: rossie mad on March 24, 2011, 12:13:35 PM
On the way to work this morning and the kinks and jimmy hendrix was played.Driving along and the sun shining the music really perked me up.
In great humour all morning.

I do think that some of the great bands mentioned are very much ahead of what we hear now bar maybe the kings of leon and arcaid fire.

funny you mention hendrix,i was looking through my cd collection looking for something to play in the car and found a old hendrix album and cant turn it off,pure genius

mannix

Quote from: thebigfella on March 24, 2011, 09:08:51 AM

well maybe i have no taste but give me rock anyday over  99% of the stuff on the charts today

ross4life

Rock music will will never die as it will live on through the legends but the question "In 20 years time who are the Monsters of Rock going to be?" i really don't know... i go to alot of concerts per year & some of the so called big newish rock bands Avenged Sevenfold,bullet for my Valentine,Paramore are awful.

The big bands of the last 10/15 years Linkin Park,Limp Bizkit,Godsmack,Papa Roach etc.. seem to be fading in & out while the likes of King of Leon,Muse & foo fighers seem to going strong.

In 20 years time it will be interesting to see which bands are headliners in the big concerts.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

trueblue1234

Quote from: thebigfella on March 24, 2011, 09:08:51 AM

:D

I always get a laugh out of music snobbery. People trying to be cool by rubbishing something mainstream.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteIs rock dead?

Not while this man is still swinging a guitar.

ross4life

Yep he's part of Mayo's answer to Oxegen/Electric Picnic

http://www.westfest.ie/lineup.html
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open