Is Rock Dead?

Started by Orangemac, March 23, 2011, 11:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: mannix on March 24, 2011, 02:55:57 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on March 24, 2011, 09:08:51 AM
Quote from: mannix on March 24, 2011, 02:57:02 AM
music in the usa definitely has a lot more guitars involved, greenday are probably the best of the modern bands and they barely rank beside the likes of bon jovi,whitesnake etc.  i have a few friends big into rock and they play bars but the rock stuff goes over the heads of the younger crowd.

This made me laugh, Bon Jovi is for people with zero taste in anything.

well maybe i have no taste but give me rock anyday over  99% of the stuff on the charts today

Bon Jovi is not rock music, it's pop orientated heavy metal or hair metal. It's the same as the crap produced today with no substance, designed to sell to the lowest common denominator. The fact it was the music when you grew up makes you all nostalgic. 

I do like a bit of Van Halen and Def Lepard though   ;)

thebigfella

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 24, 2011, 04:17:20 PM
music in the usa definitely has a lot more guitars involved, greenday are probably the best of the modern bands and they barely rank beside the likes of bon jovi,whitesnake etc.  i have a few friends big into rock and they play bars but the rock stuff goes over the heads of the younger crowd.

:D

I always get a laugh out of music snobbery. People trying to be cool by rubbishing something mainstream.

Nothing snobby about it all, at least you admit its mainstream (or Pop  ;)) and only exists to make money for the band/record company. Their music has no message at all and nothing different to a Xfactor single IMO. That's fine, some of the Xfactor stuff is ok but Bon Jovi like Xfactor is the complete antithesis of rock.

ross matt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 24, 2011, 04:37:21 PM
QuoteIs rock dead?

Not while this man is still swinging a guitar.

May God forgive ya GBB.
Kill! Kill! Kill!

ross matt

Quote from: thebigfella on March 24, 2011, 05:07:55 PM
Quote from: mannix on March 24, 2011, 02:55:57 PM

well maybe i have no taste but give me rock anyday over  99% of the stuff on the charts today

Bon Jovi is not rock music, it's pop orientated heavy metal or hair metal. It's the same as the crap produced today with no substance, designed to sell to the lowest common denominator. The fact it was the music when you grew up makes you all nostalgic. 

I do like a bit of Van Halen and Def Lepard though   ;)

Indeed. Bon Jovi... The Poodle Rockers back in the day!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ross4life on March 24, 2011, 04:48:37 PM
Yep he's part of Mayo's answer to Oxegen/Electric Picnic

http://www.westfest.ie/lineup.html

wouldn't mind going to that never heard it advertised
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

DuffleKing

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 24, 2011, 11:08:26 PM

lol thats the 1st thing i thought when i seen the title of this thread.

Thank god its not true.

johnneycool

johnneycool

As for Rock being dead, I don't think so but as we're constantly being bombarded with X factor wannabes, boy and girl bands then it may seem like it but in reality even the good rock bands were never mainstream in their prime.

How many UK No.1's have AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, even Guns'n'Roses and Nirvana in the prime?

Not very many as Rick Astley and Bros were topping the charts then.

good rock bands are like a good wine and appreciated more with age and cultured ear.

armaghniac

QuoteNot very many as Rick Astley and Bros were topping the charts then.

Did you have to remind me, that will spoil my lunch!

Rock is not dead.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

seafoid

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/mar/10/high-stones/

Mick Jagger makes his first appearance in this book as a thirteen-year-old boy with a summer job at the "Bexley nuthouse, the Maypole," a "bit more upper-class" asylum (Richards thinks everything about Jagger is too posh), doing "the catering, taking round their lunches." Jagger was growing up in the fractionally less grim neighborhood nearby; Keith sees him around town, selling ice cream in front of Dartford town hall, and in the fullness of time they bond over records:

Did we hit it off? You get in a carriage with a guy that's got Rockin' at the Hops by Chuck Berry on Chess Records, and The Best of Muddy Waters also under his arm, you are gonna hit it off. It's the real shit. I had no idea how to get hold of that.

Mick "had the London thing down," had contacts, a catalog from Chess records, and, for a pen pal, Marshall Chess, Mr. Chess's son who worked in the mailroom and would later become president of Rolling Stones Records. Mick had seen Buddy Holly play, and played the Buddy Holly songs he heard—if he didn't play them, he wouldn't hear them—in bars around Dartford.

Anyone reading this review can go to YouTube now and experience Muddy Waters, or Chuck Berry, or Buddy Holly, or the first Stones recordings, or anything else they want to see, instantly: ads for Freshen-up gum from the Eighties; a spot George Plimpton did for Intellivision, an early video game. Anything. I am not making an original point, but it cannot be reiterated enough: the experience of making and taking in culture is now, for the first time in human history, a condition of almost paralyzing overabundance. For millennia it was a condition of scarcity; and all the ways we regard things we want but cannot have, in those faraway days, stood between people and the art or music they needed to have: yearning, craving, imagining the absent object so fully that when the real thing appears in your hands, it almost doesn't match up. Nobody will ever again experience what Keith Richards and Mick Jagger experienced in Dartford, scrounging for blues records. The Rolling Stones do not happen in any other context: they were a band based on craving, impersonation, tribute: white guys from England who worshiped black blues and later, to a lesser extent, country, reggae, disco, and rap.

Goin Down

Good music in general is coming to an end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Professionaly produced, more on the way according to her!
Remember This.

ross4life

Came across this music mash Rock/pop group last night pretty decent i thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y95OnJ2t9g
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open