NI only: Is the time right for the GAA to set up it's own development charity?

Started by snatter, March 23, 2011, 02:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snatter

Just a thought.

I've just read that the UK budget is introducing a 10% discount on inheritance tax for people leaving 10% of estate to charity.

This strikes me as a great opportunity for the GAA to set up its own development charity to  support gaelic games development, eg coaching, ground development, purchasing equipment, etc.

For those caught by inheritance tax, you would have a choice of giving at least 10% of your money to gaelic games rather than the UK treasury.

The GAA could also set up one of those will writing services where you get a cheap will and in return you're expected to leave some money to the charity concerned.

angermanagement

Only problem being is the GAA isn't a charity and couldn't be classed as one either. They are very strict in the criteria now and any organisation which is going to waste £60 million building a white elephant in West Belfast isn't going to match that criteria.

snatter

Quote from: angermanagement on March 23, 2011, 02:48:11 PM
Only problem being is the GAA isn't a charity and couldn't be classed as one either. They are very strict in the criteria

I was thinking more of a stand alone charity.
Separate to the gaa, but alligned with it and whose role would be to support gaelic games development, eg by providing qualified gaelic games coaches to schools, supporting the purchase and development of gaelic games pitches, etc.

any organisation which is going to waste £60 million building a white elephant in West Belfast isn't going to match that criteria.

I'd argue that providing decent and safe spectator facilities is not wasting money, but even if it was, it would not be the GAA that would be wasting it. If you had been even loosely following the ni stadium saga, you would know that the money is the Govt's , not the GAA's, and was ringfenced for one-off stadium development only.

Eamonnca1

Only problem being is the GAA isn't a charity and couldn't be classed as one either.

Sure about that? I don't know what the law says in the UK but in the US any incorporated non-profit organisation has tax-exempt status, so any donations you make to them are tax deductible. Make a donation to your local GAA club and you can write that off at the end of the year.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

pintsofguinness

I thought the GAA was regarded as a charity as well, for the same reasons Eamonn says?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Worker

Alot of clubs are registered as community amateur sports clubs rather than charities!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Worker on March 23, 2011, 09:20:46 PM
Alot of clubs are registered as community amateur sports clubs rather than charities!
That must give them a similar status to a charity then?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Worker

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 23, 2011, 09:30:31 PM
Quote from: The Worker on March 23, 2011, 09:20:46 PM
That must give them a similar status to a charity then?

quite similar, they can reclaim basic rate tax on 'gifts without reservation' from taxpayers, however they are not bound by the charities commission (which is due to be fully implemented in NI in the next 12 months-however this has been delayed a few times before)

Rois

Not officially a registered charity since you can't be a registered charity in NI. 

But clubs should definitely do it and reclaim "Gift Aid" on voluntary donations, making sure that membership doesn't include any benefit that would otherwise cost money. For example, playing members may benefit from being insured, so their subscription would probably not be eligible, but social memberships would probably attract gift aid. Money for nothing!  It take a bit of admin to set up buy should be worth it.

snoopdog

There are a lot more deserving Chariities around than the GAA. They can well afford to fund themselves.
Stupid idea.