six county elections 05/05/2011

Started by rossie mad, March 23, 2011, 10:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Ulick, I saw talk of Mitchell McLaughlin getting a ministerial post, has he been relegated somewhat in the last few years? He always seemed to be more high profile a few years ago, he always struck me as a capable performer.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

lawnseed

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 11, 2011, 07:04:19 PM
Ulick, can we expect Catriona to get the road next week? I'm keeping everything crossed. Is big O'Dowd in the running for a seat at the table? Always comes across as a good operator on tv so id like to see him replace Ruane or possibly Murphy who didn't help himself with his handling of NIW during the winter. Gildernew is no great shakes either.
tony i don't know how you think Michelle gildernew was no great shakes as agric minister when she was greeted everywhere she went in the farming comunity with rapturous applause IMO your completely wrong there she was probably the most popular minister in stormont
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

MW

Quote from: Ulick on May 11, 2011, 08:42:29 PM
Ulick, can we expect Catriona to get the road next week? I'm keeping everything crossed. Is big O'Dowd in the running for a seat at the table? Always comes across as a good operator on tv so id like to see him replace Ruane or possibly Murphy who didn't help himself with his handling of NIW during the winter. Gildernew is no great shakes either.

Have no special insight, but I'd say so. Personally I'd keep O'Dowd, Gildernew and Kelly as ministers and try out one of the younger members as junior minister in OFMDFM. SF being SF, the appointments will be made with a view to long term strategy so they'll want to boost the profile of people in particular areas and broaden the managerial experience of the less experienced - given that, it's practically impossible to predict who's going where. Big John is bound to be there as he's the best out of all those without ministerial experience and he's in an area they'll expect gains next time. Gerry Kelly will have a senior role as he's the most trusted, liked and feared all-in-one - maybe Party whip or something. I guess Michelle O'Neill for junior minister in OFMDFM simply on the basis McGuinness will need someone he trusts and gets on with (same constituency). After that I haven't a clue - they're not exactly spoilt for talent. Would love to see wee Barry get the culture job, but as it gets only 1% of the budget, it's a symbolic role no one except the unionists are really interested in.

You really rate O'Dowd? :-\ I would have him down as one of the less able members of the SF team.

oakleafgael

Quote from: lawnseed on May 11, 2011, 09:21:58 PM
tony i don't know how you think Michelle gildernew was no great shakes as agric minister when she was greeted everywhere she went in the farming comunity with rapturous applause IMO your completely wrong there she was probably the most popular minister in stormont

Lawnseed,

She may have been welcomed by farmers but DARD made some amount of f**k ups during her time in charge which the taxpayer had to foot the bill for. If there was any proper system of ministerial responsibility in the Assembly then she should have joined Murphy in resigning.

Minder

tony i don't know how you think Michelle gildernew was no great shakes as agric minister when she was greeted everywhere she went in the farming comunity with rapturous applause IMO your completely wrong there she was probably the most popular minister in storming

Popular with who? She made a balls of overpayments to farmers and then said "nobody was to blame", in grown up politics a minister would be under pressure to resign or get the boot for something like that.

oakleafgael

Would Daithi McKay be in with a shout of a promotion?

Tony Baloney

I know she was popular and that is because she was giving money to farmers hand over fist. DofA fucked up when submitting claims to EU and were fined to the tune of £60million. She wasn't personally responsible but he claim that no-one was to blame stuck in my craw and summed up all that is wrong with public sector NI.

lawnseed

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 11, 2011, 09:31:23 PM
I know she was popular and that is because she was giving money to farmers hand over fist. DofA fucked up when submitting claims to EU and were fined to the tune of £60million. She wasn't personally responsible but he claim that no-one was to blame stuck in my craw and summed up all that is wrong with public sector NI.
actually what happened was the bean counters in Brussels started to look for excuses to reduce the single farm payment and began to stroke off land that was ineligible that had previously been payed out on. this included laneways, rushy ground, new yards, overgrown hedges. individuals had failed to stroke these areas off their maps and the dept had failed to notice Michelle took the hit to avoid the individuals  getting done for fraud and the issue was sidestepped, i understand that the 60million fine is being appealed with a Strong chance of success. i also understand that the Irish discrepancies were amongst the lowest in Europe

oakleafgael

Quote from: lawnseed on May 11, 2011, 09:44:29 PM
actually what happened was the bean counters in Brussels started to look for excuses to reduce the single farm payment and began to stroke off land that was ineligible that had previously been payed out on. this included laneways, rushy ground, new yards, overgrown hedges. individuals had failed to stroke these areas off their maps and the dept had failed to notice Michelle took the hit to avoid the individuals  getting done for fraud and the issue was sidestepped, i understand that the 60million fine is being appealed with a Strong chance of success. i also understand that the Irish discrepancies were amongst the lowest in Europe

Thats complete and total balls. The land that was being claimed for should not have been claimed for and was never eligible for inclusion for SFP. Michelle didnt take any "hit" as she kept her job and the taxpayer has to foot the bill.

The Worker

Hopefully the dup relinquish the Finance position.

Sammy wilson should not be allowed within a stones throw of a calculator.

Minder

Quote from: The Worker on May 11, 2011, 09:51:33 PM

Why not? He seems one of the more capable ministers, damned with faint praise I know.

lawnseed

Quote from: oakleafgael on May 11, 2011, 09:48:04 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on May 11, 2011, 09:44:29 PM

Thats complete and total balls. The land that was being claimed for should not have been claimed for and was never eligible for inclusion for SFP. Michelle didnt take any "hit" as she kept her job and the taxpayer has to foot the bill.
hedges grow and so do rushes oakleaf what do you want her to do, cut them?

lawnseed

Quote from: Minder on May 11, 2011, 09:53:05 PM

Why not? He seems one of the more capable ministers, damned with faint praise I know.
i enjoyed sammy.. and hes a biker.. great craic

ziggysego

Seriously? I thought he did a fairly decent job in the Ministry, especially when you consider the current economic climate. I'd be happy to see him back in the post again.
Testing Accessibility