six county elections 05/05/2011

Started by rossie mad, March 23, 2011, 10:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on May 06, 2011, 12:33:57 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 06, 2011, 12:20:49 PM
Does East Antrim not now include a lot of the Glens. I would have thought a nationalist seat there would be very doable in this situation.

There are new boundaries which will help but last year SF & SDLP were on 6.8% & 6.5% respectively. So there could just about be a nationalist quota but will depend on one transferring completely to the other - which is unlikely at this stage (IMO).
Is it Oliver McMullan in E Antrim? East Antrim boundary is long and narrow and finishes around Cushendun so although there would be a sizeable Nationalist population between Cushendun and Carnlough it drops off dramatically as you move towards Larne which obviously will be a key voting centre for DUP etc.

I thought Orla Black would have ran for SDLP in E. Antrim this time round but apparently she's had another baby and has backed out.

Ulick

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 06, 2011, 01:00:00 PM
I thought Orla Black would have ran for SDLP in E. Antrim this time round but apparently she's had another baby and has backed out.

A pity for them. I'm fairly friendly with Justin McCamphill and he's not the easiest person to warm to if you don't know him. He was never going to do anything for the SDLP in East Antrim.   

armaghniac

East Antrim turnout is very low at 48%, if the nationalists made an effort they could have a quota.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Is this a prod taig head count or is it about getting the right person for the job?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

The calibre of the candidates put a few people off voting in the council elections in Waterfoot, Cushendall from what I head.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

orangeman

There's seems to be a lot of talk about voters republicans giving SF their number 1 and the DUP their number 2 and unionists giving DUP thier number 1 vote and SF their number 2 vote.

We have indeed come a long way if true.

Didn't the unionists give Margaret Ritchie a helping hand in the Westminster election last year and Michelle Gildernew a helping hand in Fermangh South Tyrone as well ?.

Tribal politics coming to an end ?.

Norf Tyrone

When are the first results due?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

mountainboii

Out of interest, how close to the polling station are party officials allowed to canvass on election day?

gallsman

Quote from: orangeman on May 06, 2011, 04:41:16 PM
There's seems to be a lot of talk about voters republicans giving SF their number 1 and the DUP their number 2 and unionists giving DUP thier number 1 vote and SF their number 2 vote.

Didn't the unionists give Margaret Ritchie a helping hand in the Westminster election last year and Michelle Gildernew a helping hand in Fermangh South Tyrone as well ?.

No, they selected a "Unionist Unity" candidate in FST in the hope of having one less taig in Westminster. SF (backed up by the usual suspects here) gave off stink because the SDLP wouldn't stand down their candidate and risk having one more prod in Westminster.

Tribal politics coming to an end? Not a chance.

Milltown Row2

I hope it does, but I won't hold out on that.

At my polling station they were doing barbeque's and free burgers and hot dogs!! Voting in the morning, afternoon and at night i was stuffed!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Evil Genius

I should be very interested to know whether that is true.

And greatly surprised (especially since the DUP are desperate to remain the biggest Party ahead of SF, so as to retain the OFM post)

Quote from: orangeman on May 06, 2011, 04:41:16 PMDidn't the unionists give Margaret Ritchie a helping hand in the Westminster election last year
No idea myself, but I wouldn't entirely dismiss the possibility, seeing as in West Belfast, the Shankill apparently used to swing behind Gerry Fitt and Joe Hendron etc, in order to keep out You-Know-Who   

Quote from: orangeman on May 06, 2011, 04:41:16 PMDidn't the unionists give...         ... Michelle Gildernew a helping hand in Fermangh South Tyrone as well ?.
You must be f**king joking!  ::)

Quote from: orangeman on May 06, 2011, 04:41:16 PMTribal politics coming to an end?
Possible, I suppose, but imo far more likely a means to an end i.e. tactical voting in  order to suit ones own Tribe.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Ulick

Latest from count centre in Bannbridge, SF now confident of taking two seats.

Maguire01

This is taking forever! And we never really see the full picture until the sixth seat is decided - the first 3/4 are generally clear enough early on.

andoireabu

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 06, 2011, 05:27:47 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 06, 2011, 04:41:16 PMDidn't the unionists give...         ... Michelle Gildernew a helping hand in Fermangh South Tyrone as well ?.
You must be f**king joking!  ::)
Wouldn't be so quick to rule that one out.  Heard at the time that Protestants farmers were backing Michelle because of the work she had done for them in that area.  Assuming that Protestant means a Unionist vote then orangeman could be right. 
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Maguire01

Conor Murphy SF, Danny Kennedy UUP and Dominic Bradley SDLP elected in Newry and Armagh