GPA announces 64 scholarships, ahead of grants deal

Started by never kickt a ball, February 28, 2007, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Wednesday, 28 February 16:25 GMT   
The Gaelic Players Association announced its biggest annual scholarship scheme to date at a function at Croke Park on Wednesday.
A total of 64 scholarships are being granted to third-level students nationwide, making the GPA awards the largest GAA scheme of its kind in the country.Since the GPA scholarships were first initiated six years ago, 170 players have benefited from the scheme. These scholarships are awarded using funds generated from the sale of Club Energise.
Under the GPA scholarship scheme, each student will receive €1,000 to help off-set the cost of their education and help sustain their commitment to Gaelic Games during the academic year."Bringing tangible benefits to the stars of tomorrow is a core aspect of GPA policy and the growth of this scheme is testament to that commitment," said GPA chairman and Cork Senior hurling goalkeeper Donal Og Cusack. "Students involved with inter-county teams are essentially dedicated to Gaelic Games seven days a week. Beyond their studies, there is simply no free time in which to take up part-time work."
The 64 hurlers, footballers and dual players to receive the scholarships represent 25 counties and 20 colleges.
http://ni.setanta.com/portal/article/gaa?open&articleid=e89accee6396859380257290005a3893

Wednesday, 28 February 16:41 GMT 
A deal is expected to be brokered between the GPA and the GAA on the structure and amount of government-sponsored grants for intercounty players within the next ten days.The fact that the media announcement of 64 GPA scholarships was held at Croke Park, and not some neutral staging ground, on Wednesday is further evidence of an improvement in the relationship between the two bodies.GPA chief executive Dessie Farrell, speaking at the announcement, revealed that an agreement on the distribution of the €4 million grant should be finalised within the next week to ten days.When a deal is finally struck it should end the GPA's three-year campaign to secure monetary reward for elite footballers and hurlers.

http://ni.setanta.com/portal/article/gaa?open&articleid=3bbea62029bc663c80257290005baf54

Lone Shark

I wonder if any of these awrds have gone to handballers, or girls, or hurlers from Nicky Rackard counties?

Before the GPA defenders on here jump down my throat, I'm just asking the question if all teenage members of the GAA were eligible for this, or just the ones who could potentially return the favour by becoming heavy hitters in the GPA down the line. If someone comes back on and tells me that 16 of the 64 awards went to girls with another 3 or 4 to handballers I'll be pleasantly surprised and will chalk it down as another positive piece of work by the GPA. 

dublinfella

Quote from: Lone Shark on February 28, 2007, 10:01:23 PM
I wonder if any of these awrds have gone to handballers, or girls, or hurlers from Nicky Rackard counties?

Before the GPA defenders on here jump down my throat, I'm just asking the question if all teenage members of the GAA were eligible for this, or just the ones who could potentially return the favour by becoming heavy hitters in the GPA down the line. If someone comes back on and tells me that 16 of the 64 awards went to girls with another 3 or 4 to handballers I'll be pleasantly surprised and will chalk it down as another positive piece of work by the GPA. 

no handballers, but their are leitrim, kerry, louth, mayo and armagh hurlers. so yes, you are just a paranoid crank

Lone Shark

Just saw the list - no handballers, no girls, but yes some weaker county hurlers. Still all potential GPA members, but not just going for the high profile ones, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Not really sure where paranoid crank came out of, but okay, sure. Why not.

muppet

Lone Shark it was a fair question but equally someone has paid for this and as sponsors they would demand some potentially high profile winners.
MWWSI 2017

Lone Shark

Of course - however if one were to take that line, surely the next Cora Staunton or Juliet Murphy is liable to be of a much higher profile than the next Paul Seevers or Nicky Horan?

Again, maybe I'm wrong - the televising of the Rackard and Ring cups might change that.

Uladh

screenmachine

I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Uladh

Northside Dub

The ladies association aren't members of the GPA so thats why they recieved no grants.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

Uladh

chickity chia

Does anybody know the criteria for receiving one of these awards and how much an individual receives, cash or fees paid?

From the press release it appears that you must be an inter county player and be a full time student.

Two names that jump out at me are the bol Kevin McGourty (neither a county player nor a student) and Dan McCartan (a full time dentist!!!!!!)

full back

Quote from: Uladh on March 01, 2007, 12:03:46 PM

Where's McGuiness?

He sent the forms in late-he is f**king raging
Jim was going for the 11th straight scholarship!!

Uladh

lol

right, i thought he was on the list and i was going blind!

Captain Scarlet

i know the ladies arent members but were they approached even?

you have the likes of rena buckley a dual star for cork in ucd, surely she would be a very high profile person to tag on. they ticked the boxes with hurlers from the weaker counties at least.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.