Started by Eamonnca1, March 22, 2011, 06:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Posting it here because he mentions the GAA:

QuoteGoing batty for willow can make Ireland A driving force

Plant it and make most of growing global demands for cricket bats

By Joe Barry

Tuesday March 22 2011

Ireland's victory over England in the Cricket World Cup must rank as one of our greatest sporting achievements ever. It certainly cheered us all up and, judging by the letters to the newspapers, it dramatically lifted the spirits of Irishmen and women living and working abroad and those of us at home.

Cricket used to be widely enjoyed in rural Ireland and was played on summer evenings on village greens throughout the country, by people of all ages and from all walks of life. That was, of course, before the infamous GAA ban on anyone taking part in games that were perceived as being British.

Thank goodness that particular piece of bigotry has since been put to bed and we can now enjoy all sports regardless of their perceived origin.

When you consider our small population and the relatively tiny numbers of sportsmen and women we have to choose from compared to other countries such as France and England, our successes down the years at international level have been quite spectacular. We compete successfully against the world's best in rugby, along with many other sports, and now our cricketers are showing their mettle.

But is anyone here growing the willow required for the manufacture of cricket bats? We are soon going to be self-sufficient in ash for hurley making and, given our damp climate and rich soil, we can surely also grow willow for cricket bat manufacture.

I ran the idea past Neil Foulkes, who featured in this column recently, and he replied with the encouraging statistic that there are more than a billion people in India alone and 90pc of them are cricket mad. Add to that list Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Australia and other countries throughout the world where cricket is almost a national sport and the picture starts to become clear.

The potential for growing willow and making cricket bats must be huge and anyone with suitable land should at least examine the possibilities.

Up to now we have focused on growing willow for biomass but with a bit of horticultural expertise and lots of hands-on management, good willow for the cricket bat industry can undoubtedly be grown here.

Neil sent me some pictures of willow he had grown on his farm near Ballinamore. The growth rates are remarkable and it appears that it can reach a saleable size in less than 20 years.

If you log onto www.cricketbatwillow.com you will get information on how one firm in England supplies, grows and manufactures bats from Salix alba 'caerulea', or English cricket bat willow. This is considered to be the best variety by the cricket industry, the original was first discovered in Norfolk around 1700.

To properly establish willow, ground preparation, fencing and subsequent weeding and grass cutting or spraying are essential. During growth, side shoots must be rubbed off carefully as they appear and, like any tree, the object is to grow a clean, straight stem to produce the maximum usable material.

As with all silviculture, the first five years are the most important to ensure the trees are given the best start possible. When harvested, depending on the length of clean stem, numerous sections can then be used from the one tree. I wondered if ash could be used in cricket bats but perhaps there is some subtle difference in flexibility. It might be worth investigating but then if willow can reach usable size in such a short time, why wait for ash?

The most common areas used for planting willow in Britain are along watercourses and low-lying, often disused water meadows. Soil types naturally have a varied effect on the growth and quality of the trees and good-quality soil over clay, with a high water table, is ideal.

Pat Farrelly, of Farrelly Bros, who is well known in the willow biomass industry here, told me that his company has had enquiries from India regarding the possibility of sourcing Irish-grown willow for cricket bat manufacturing.

But be warned. It is not just a matter of getting bundles of willow stems and sticking them in the ground and waiting to reap your rewards. There are things such as watermark disease, honey fungus, goat moth and even woodworm to be countered alongside damage from rabbits, hares, sheep, cattle and man to protect against.

However, being ever an optimist I intend to give it a go. Wouldn't it be great if there was a grant available!

- Joe Barry

Hmm.  Okay, two things.

1 - I can think of a lot of Irish sporting achievements over the years, and while this one is notable, to say that it's "one of the the greatest ever" is debatable at best. In any case, why should beating England be considered more notable than beating any other country? This wouldn't be a bit of latent "bigotry" that you're so eager to denounce in others, would it?

2 - Let's start a cricket bat manufacturing industry in Ireland? To sell to India and Pakistan? Are you serious? You seriously think we can compete with people who can get by on a few dollars a day? Have you not heard what has happened to manufacturing in the last 20 years? These are the people who are making sliothars for export to Ireland  and to GAA clubs worldwide for next to nothing and can undercut O'Neill's by a huge margin.

Shamrock Shore

There's a huge demand in parts of Dublin for baseball bats but Ireland has yet to reach ......what?

Oh  :-\

magpie seanie

On your two points:

1) England are one of the top teams in world cricket and are the country from which the game originated. Leaving aside our unique relationship its a phenomenal achievement to beat them in a cricket match, especially a meaningful one. I think it does deserve to be ranked as one of our greatest sporting achievements not least for the fact that the previous World Cup meant we were not a surprise packet.

2) Correct about the manufacturing side of things. If I'm reading this correctly though they wouldn't be able to grow willow in India/Pakistan too readily so maybe we could look at doing that part at least. Grow the wood and ship it off to a factory in India for production and then sale. It might work?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2011, 12:25:50 PM
On your two points:

1) England are one of the top teams in world cricket and are the country from which the game originated. Leaving aside our unique relationship its a phenomenal achievement to beat them in a cricket match, especially a meaningful one. I think it does deserve to be ranked as one of our greatest sporting achievements not least for the fact that the previous World Cup meant we were not a surprise packet.
Fair enough.
2) Correct about the manufacturing side of things. If I'm reading this correctly though they wouldn't be able to grow willow in India/Pakistan too readily so maybe we could look at doing that part at least. Grow the wood and ship it off to a factory in India for production and then sale. It might work?

Maybe. Couldn't see it being much of a money-maker though. Countries like America can make money on natural resources like that because they have vast amounts of space to grow crops, Ireland doesn't. I suppose it'd be better than letting unused land lie fallow though. Then there's the small matter of how long it takes a willow tree to grow. I'd be interested in seeing some figures to back up this proposal.

magpie seanie

Yeah, I think you're right. It was a bit of a whimsical piece.