Nike Fail

Started by Dinny Breen, March 21, 2011, 04:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Apologies for another rugby thread but this amused me - Nike doing as any good sponsor would but tis gone viral...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxfwQSjfB0

Hi All

Following on from Barney's note, this weekend sees the culmination of England's most exciting 6 Nations campaign in recent years. Not only could England win the tournament but also the Grand Slam which bodes very well for the Rugby World Cup later on this year in New Zealand.

We have commissioned a special limited edition t-shirt to celebrate the England Grand Slam 2011, which we will give to the players when we win against Ireland on Saturday The t-shirt is inspired by the iconic English rose (like the kit) and 5K units will go into retail at the RFU & NikeTown London after the game.

In the spirit on owning sporting moments, we will also execute a burst of Digital Out-of-Home activity that will start right on the final whistle in over 20 of London's most prominent underground stations through Digital Escalator Panels and Cross-Track Projections. This will be further amplified through large Transvision screens at Waterloo, Kings Cross, Euston and Charing Cross. This will run throughout the weekend until Monday night catching consumers after the game and peak rush hour times for maximum impact.

Finally, we have created an AV celebration piece that we will be pushing out to our PR & Retail over the weekend and the RFU will be posting it on their sites too.

Thanks to the whole team for working so quickly to pull this together and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Have a good weekend
#newbridgeornowhere

JUst retired

Question boss. What do we do if we loose? ;D

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Bingo

This on all the radio this morning, all the papers carrying it, gone viral on the web.....

Once again Nike get free advertising and talked about. The only ones laughing at all of it is Nike.

Ludraman

nike have a checkerd career with sports

in 1999 they feckd up brazil and ronaldo

then they told tiger woods to just do it an look what happened

but this was good as they feckd up england

so in conclucion 2 outta 3 aint bad

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on March 22, 2011, 09:47:49 AM
This on all the radio this morning, all the papers carrying it, gone viral on the web.....

Once again Nike get free advertising and talked about. The only ones laughing at all of it is Nike.

Well, we were laughing too in fairness. But at England, not at Nike :D

Shamrock Shore

They can now do a range of 'Kerry - 5 in a row champions 1978 to 1982' t-shirts.

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2011, 11:19:26 AM

Jaysus, its hardly Englands fault. I'd say this happens on regular occassions but doesn't see the light of day. I'd have guessed that England RFU had nothing to do with this at all. If it was Ireland, I'd have guessed Puma would have something lined up in a similar light. I remember when they did win the Grand Slam, the papers was full of Ads on the sunday congratulating the team and the various players signed to sponsors for promotions etc. I've no doubt that these where ready for print prior to any ball been kicked the previous day.

But it is nice to see England with some further egg on their face,

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on March 22, 2011, 11:30:04 AM

Jaysus, its hardly Englands fault. I'd say this happens on regular occassions but doesn't see the light of day. I'd have guessed that England RFU had nothing to do with this at all. If it was Ireland, I'd have guessed Puma would have something lined up in a similar light. I remember when they did win the Grand Slam, the papers was full of Ads on the sunday congratulating the team and the various players signed to sponsors for promotions etc. I've no doubt that these where ready for print prior to any ball been kicked the previous day.

Of course. But I think what people are laughing at is that this has seen the light of day. I don't think anyone is saying 'How dare they have done this!'. Everyone would, and I'm sure Puma would have too. Sure as SS has pointed out some lads down in Kerry did similar stuff in 1982, but they had the guts/stupidity to release them before the game. The Kerry team had nothing to do with it, but it just added to the delight :D

Same here, you don't 'blame' anyone for it, but it is humourous when it gets out. And I'm sure there'd be a similar Irish one too.

Bingo

My original point was that it was no accident this seen the light of day and it is Nike putting this out there for free publicity. Just a conspiracy I'd just or just a fake.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on March 22, 2011, 11:51:13 AM
My original point was that it was no accident this seen the light of day and it is Nike putting this out there for free publicity. Just a conspiracy I'd just or just a fake.

And my point is no matter who put it out, no one is laughing at Nike, per se. It just adds to the enjoyment of Saturday's result.

5 Sams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJsJytkDjIc
The Aristocrat Years

Bingo

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 22, 2011, 11:52:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJsJytkDjIc

That did spring to mind alright but i choose not to mention it  ;D

orangeman

Brilliant.

Talk about counting your chickens.

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2011, 11:51:57 AM
Quote from: Bingo on March 22, 2011, 11:51:13 AM

And my point is no matter who put it out, no one is laughing at Nike, per se. It just adds to the enjoyment of Saturday's result.

I'll so off on another tangent as well. Was thinking about this morning when Ray Darcy was still going on about it and genuinely excited.

Its great to beat England no doubt, I was at the game in the company of a few English folk and they were extremely confident before the game. But after it and during it they held their hands up and said they were totally outclassed.

Since then the Irish have celebrated it like we won a grand slam. The reality is we blew a great chance of a grand slam with sloppy displays V France and Wales. We should be gutted and kicking ourselves. The display suggests we'll have a strong chance of semi's at world cup but are we as a nation still caught up in moral victories.

Still, its nice to beat them out the door  ;D