smuggling oil

Started by lawnseed, March 15, 2011, 11:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

it seems that kero in the north is 60p ish and in the south its 80p ish leading to a healthy cross border trade.. you might think. but alas trade is only ok when the money is going south and the oil is going north. for years free state customs have turned a bling eye to the booming smuggling along the border because it was a source of income for the 26 counties but now the boot on the other foot theyre flat out stopping lads hauling kero south to people who need cheaper fuel to heat their houses because they are losing revenue/tax and they need all that money for the banks.
i not sure but i think if the oil is for your own use you can do it
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

mylestheslasher

Kerosene has been cheaper in the north for long time. Customs in each state are only interested in making sure duty is paid when goods are inported so they have no interest in stuff going the other direction.

The Subbie

This isn't a recent phenonom, for years my father, brother, me & pleanty more in the North Monaghan region have being quietly importing our own fuel in a 1000 L tank after a cash transaction on what in olden days would have been called an unapproved crossing.
Wire up an old pump from a washing machine and she'll pump your 1000 liters in about 25 mins tops, f**k the customs, it's about saving the few quid you have, did I already mention f**k the customs?
I miss that aul carry on but not the customs, c***ts.

Banana Man

my auld boy told me about when he was young and the war rashins were still in place, every sunday of life they would drive to the point and get the boat to carlingford and stock up, as soon as they landed back in the point, customs were waiting for them, his aul doll told him and the 4 siblings to run in different directions with the merchandise.

Fully grown men caught wearing 5 pairs of tights and a pound of butter rammed down there for good measure  :D

Bingo

This has me confused the oil "smuggling". The brothers father-in-law was recently stopped coming back from Culloville and his heating oil taken off him and a nice wee fine attached to it, and him an ex-Garda!

But on what basis can they prevent you from taking it across for your own use? I think they mentioned something about quantity and that it was one of those trailers with the pump that the place provides. But we can buy anything else in the north and take it across for personal use eg food, drink, TV's etc, you can fill your car/lorry with as much oil/diesel as you like.

I'm sure its duty or whatever but I'd like to see it challenged in one of the EU courts or whatever. I've asked several people on this and they never have an answer.

All of a Sludden

The maximum amount of kerosene you can take across the border is 100 litres.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Bingo

Quote from: All of a Sludden on March 16, 2011, 12:38:12 PM
The maximum amount of kerosene you can take across the border is 100 litres.

Why though? Is there other restrctions on drink, fags etc?

armaghniac

QuoteWhy though? Is there other restrctions on drink, fags etc?

There are restrictions. If you to Spain and come back with a load of fags they could sieze any over an amount.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bingo

Quote from: armaghniac on March 16, 2011, 02:25:42 PM

There are restrictions. If you to Spain and come back with a load of fags they could sieze any over an amount.

Makes sense alright when you consider that scenerio with drink too.
I'd have thought they'd have a field day with the drink going over the border at the christmas from Newry and the likes.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Bingo on March 16, 2011, 02:38:05 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 16, 2011, 02:25:42 PM

Makes sense alright when you consider that scenerio with drink too.
I'd have thought they'd have a field day with the drink going over the border at the christmas from Newry and the likes.

What ever happened to free trade?
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Kerry Mike

As the newly elected pole topping TD for Louth, I wonder what Gerry Adam's take is on smuggling oil or other items, and how it is effecting the tax base of the country of which he is now a highly paid recipient ?
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Poc me

Quote from: Banana Man on March 16, 2011, 09:01:49 AM
my auld boy told me about when he was young and the war rashins were still in place, every sunday of life they would drive to the point and get the boat to carlingford and stock up, as soon as they landed back in the point, customs were waiting for them, his aul doll told him and the 4 siblings to run in different directions with the merchandise.

Fully grown men caught wearing 5 pairs of tights and a pound of butter rammed down there for good measure  :D

Is this some form of special bacon ration?  :D

Kerry Mike...Gerry Adams will take the average industrial wage in the 26 and the rest will go to the party. All SF reps do this.

Kerry Mike

QuoteKerry Mike...Gerry Adams will take the average industrial wage in the 26 and the rest will go to the party. All SF reps do this.

Yes but we still have to pay them the full wage, would it not be better PR for SF to take the minimum wage which is a great idea and leave the rest in the coffers of the cash strapped country.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

sammymaguire

Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 16, 2011, 04:13:07 PM
QuoteKerry Mike...Gerry Adams will take the average industrial wage in the 26 and the rest will go to the party. All SF reps do this.

Yes but we still have to pay them the full wage, would it not be better PR for SF to take the minimum wage which is a great idea and leave the rest in the coffers of the cash strapped country.

Just like what Healy-Rae is doing?  ::) proud Kerry man
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Poc me

Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 16, 2011, 04:13:07 PM

It isn't the minimum wage, it is the average industrial wage. As far as I'm aware one of SF's policies is to reduce the salaries of TDs, ministers and the Taoiseach significantly to free up some money for the public finances. Pearse Doherty debated about it on one of the election programmes but didn't get a huge amount of support from the other parties (mainly FF and FG). The argument against reducing the wage by too much is that you will find it difficult to attract the high fliers to the job. The way SF works though is that all paid employees of the party get the same wage. So they money that Adams etc. gives to the party comes back out in wages for people like drivers etc. So theoretically the driver of a SF rep is paid the same as the President of the party. The rest of the money would go to publicity and election campaigns etc.