Armagh v Kerry 20/3/11 2.30pm Athletic Grounds

Started by anportmorforjfc, March 15, 2011, 08:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

After a great win last week we can go out there with a lot of confidence and give it a go. One win out of the last 3 games should keep us up. Will the Cross lads be playing?

Kerry Mike

QuoteAfter a great win last week we can go out there with a lot of confidence and give it a go. One win out of the last 3 games should keep us up.

I was going to say exactly the same thing !!

Kerry's panel coming on nicely in the run in to the summer, no injuries but 2 suspensions, Billy John Keane and Marc O'Se who will be back soon, a few lads returning this last week will get a run out next week, Declan O'Sullivan, Tom O'Sullivan and expect Paul Galvin to make a welcome return to footballing matters after his recent bad run of injuries.

Which could mean a re-jig of the half forward line, I'd throw Declan in at 14 and give Kieran Donaghy a run in Midfield and let Gooch free to roam where he is at he best. But you have to fit in Darren O'Sullivan, Donnacha Walsh and Bryan Sheehan too and either Kieran O'Leary or David Geaney should get another chance in the corner. Thats 9 players vying for a forward position and you could add David Moran too but he will get another start in Midfield probably with Seamus Scanlon but Anthony Maher needs to get a run out too.

With Marc O'Se suspended I'd expect Killian Young to continue at full back. Eoin Brosnan to continue in the centre back role with Tomas O'Se and probably Aidan O'Mahony on the wings, but Adrian O'Connell who was picked last week but dropped out with flu may be back in contention for a place and Tom O'Sulluvan may get a start too.

Havent seen Armagh at all this season but games between the 2 have always been close, I see TG4 have a deferred showing of it on Sunday.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

mackers

People may say that Kerry aren't the team they were but that forward line is still fairly awesome. It'll be interesting to see who the Armagh management match up to the Kerry attack. Presumably Andy Mallon will go onto Gooch, Brendan Donaghy onto Kieran Donaghy. There is an option to bring Kieran Toner back to match Donaghy's aerial ability but he had a nightmare at FB during the McKenna Cup. McKeever will probably have to pick up Declan O'Sullivan if he's available.
Kerry's midfield isn't as strong as it was and Armagh may have an advantage here with Toner and Vernon starting to cement a really good partnership.
I'm glad that Marc O'Se is suspended as he would have been the man to mark Stevie. If Jaimie Clarke joins him in attack we may have some joy against a weakish looking Kerry defence (with the obvious exception of Tomas O'Se).
Hopefully the weather is good...........this is the match that I was looking forward to from last April when we were promoted.........long time since Kerry were in the Athletic Grounds.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

bennydorano

I hope we don't withdraw McKeever from CHB to try and mark Cooper or anyone else for that matter, Kerry have that many forward threats we really do just have to try and play our own game, it's inevitable that BJP will continue with the extra defender role, it makes my heart sink seeing that shite but unfortunately it will more than likely be necessary for this game (and a few more besides that probably :-[). 

I'd imagine Jamie Clarke will walk on to the team if he wants to play and he's indidcated that he's available barring a draw/injury on Paddy's day, doubt Aaron Kernan will have it as easy coming straight in as Dyas and Duffy are shaping up rightly, particularly Dyas who's in current ownership of the N5 jersey. 

A game we are not expected to win so we should really just give it a go.  Hard to see many changes from Mayo, probably:

McEvoy

Andy Mallon, Donaghy, F Mo

Dyas, McKeever, Duffy

Vernon & Toner

Mackin, BJP, Nippy

Jamie, Stevie, B Mallon

mountainboii

Can enjoy this game more now that we have the two points from last weekend in the bag. We'll need McDonnell and Vernon to continue their form to stand a chance. Be disappointed if we don't give it a decent crack, but a win might be asking a bit much.

bennydorano

Watching Jamie Clarke today would give you a boost of confidence, Stephen Kernan should be given a chance at CHF, maybe not the Kerry game but defintely a run out, hopefully the likes of Franny Hanratty and McNamee wont resurface in county colours but there should be at least half a dozen players coming into the panel.

DuffleKing

I'm not sure about sk but he's worth a look again. hearty, ak, morgan, McKeown and McKenna?

EDIT: and jamie of course!

whitegoodman

Thought Stephen Kernan looked a class act today, definitly a better option than his brother in a problem position!!

KIDDO 4

Kerry team to face Armagh named

Kerry team V Armagh Announced
The Kerry Senior Football team V Armagh Sunday 20th March 2011 is as follows:
1. Tomás Mac a t'Saoir (An Ghaeltacht)

2. Shane Enright (Tarbert) 3. Killian Young (Renard) 4) Tom O`Sullivan (Rathmore)

5. Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 6. Eoin Brosnan (Dr. Crokes) 7. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmetts)

8. Seamus Scanlon (Currow) 9. Anthony Maher (Duagh)

10. Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 11. Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary's) 12. Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane)

13. Colm Cooper (Captain) Dr. Crokes 14. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) 15. Kieran O'Leary (Dr. Crokes)

The Substitutes that will travel are as follows:

Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin) David Moran (Kerins O'Rahilly's) Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) Pádraig Reidy (Scartaglin)
David Geaney (An Daingean) Gary O'Driscoll (Skellig Rangers) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks ) Adrian O'Connell (St Michael's Foilmore) Declan O'Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) and Paul Galvin (Finuge)

Oraisteach

Plenty of counties would be very happy to have those ten subs in their lineup.

naka

Murtagh in the indo reckons Jamie , AK and TK will be available on sunday
he also says that Ronan Clarke wont play in the league with a more realistic target being the Down match, Clarke is presently working in an oxygen chamber and his rehab is being supervised by Mc Gurn and the team doctors, they are ensuring he is 100% before he is let play after what happened last year, Good news is the " he is really chomping at the bit to get back playing"

armaghniac

QuoteGood news is the " he is really chomping at the bit to get back playing"

Chomping he may be, but lack of games will have made him rusty. It would be great to have Stevie, Jamie and Ronan working together, they would be a handful for any defence which would create space for other players.

Hopefully Armagh can give it a lash on Sunday and maybe squeeze a draw.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mackers

He'll need to have played a number of games for the Ogs before the 28th of May to sharpen up although he came back from a year out in 07 and played well in 08. If he comes back at even 90% Armagh will have a full forward line to keep any defence in the country on their toes.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Stevie Nicks

Any word on team for tomorrow yet? See P Heaney says the cross boys won't be back until Galway team.

CountyMan

Quote from: Stevie Nicks on March 19, 2011, 11:24:37 AM
Any word on team for tomorrow yet? See P Heaney says the cross boys won't be back until Galway team.

Team unchanged from Mayo game apparently.