Laois v Tyrone Sat 19th March 7.30pm in Port Laoise

Started by Fuzzman, March 14, 2011, 02:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Revenge isn't a word one might associate with this fixture but I must say I'd love to say Tyrone get one back on the tactics applied by Laois in the championship a few years back.

Laois seem to be off to a flying start under "deep thinking" Mr Rotivator, McNulty and they certainly surprised me and loads others with their very emphatic win over Derry a few weeks ago.
However, Kildare manager McGeeney has got one over his old team mate yesterday so it will be interesting to see what that does to this team.

I must say I'm not well up on the Laois team at the moment but Tyrone seem to be building a bit of momentum now & with this being the first of the final three games against the Midlanders I would be hopeful of a good game with none of the nasty stuff on view.

I just hope the wife lets me "off the Leach" for this one as I've not been to a game yet being on chisler watch.

Will Tyrone push on now and start thinking of the summer. Will the young lads get a game or will it be the same old reliable faces. Will Hub score 1.5 this game and push for big Sean for rhe golden boot?

laoislad

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 14, 2011, 02:32:31 PM
Revenge isn't a word one might associate with this fixture but I must say I'd love to say Tyrone get one back on the tactics applied by Laois in the championship a few years back.

:D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ONeill

Laois are always a tough nut in their patch. Justin and Joe must be pushing for a start. I'd imagine Joe will get the nod if McGuigan injured.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

The history is always important....   
The site where the present town is situated is referred to in the Annals of the Four Masters as Port Laoighisi during the 16th century. The present town originated as a settlement around the old fort, "Fort of Leix" or "Fort Protector", the remains of which can still be seen in the town centre. Its construction began in 1548 under the supervision of the then Lord Deputy Sir Edward Bellingham in an attempt to secure English control in the county following the exile of native Celtic chieftains the previous year. The fort's location on rising ground, surrounded to the south and east by the natural defensive barricades of the River Triogue and an esker known locally as 'the Ridge', greatly added to its strategic importance.

The town proper was established by an act of Parliament during the reign of Queen Mary of England in 1557. The English renamed the town Maryborough and the county was named "Queen's County" in her honour. The area had been a focus of the rebellion of Rory O'More, a local chieftain who had rebelled and had lost his lands, which the Crown wanted to be settled by reliable landowners. The following year, following widespread dislocation and dispossession of the native Irish in the region due to the newly established English colonists, the Ó Mórdha (O'More) and Ó Conchúir (O'Connor) families and their allies reacted against the English. For the next fifty or so years, the English settlers in Maryborough waged a continual, low-scale war of aggression against the native Irish inhabitants of the surrounding region who retaliated against the new colony.

In 1570, a charter of Queen Elizabeth I of England raised the town to the rank of borough. This allowed the establishment of a Corporation of the Borough, a body which consisted of a burgomaster, two bailiffs, a town clerk, and a sergeant at arms, as well as various other officers, burgesses and freemen. Until the Act of Union in 1801 and the abolition of its franchise, the town returned two members to the Irish Parliament. The Corporation itself existed until 1830.
wilkipedia..

Redhand Santa

Not sure of the logic off playing a game like this on a Saturday night when its not on tv. Not much consideration for away supporters.

goal 10

No need to worry FUZZMAN

i saw my county play meath antrim & kildare,we are in a false position in the league
we are just not good enought, im disappointed so far with the new management
i know it early yet but i thought laois would be a lot smarter by now.

hope you enjoy your stay in portlaois saturday night.

Fuzzman

We're not firing on all cylinders either but I notice a bit of a pattern now most years in the league were some teams are much fitter than others come Feb and so blow them out of the water.

I think we were expecting to beat Donegal handy enough but they seemed a lot sharper and who would have though after the first 3 or 4 games that they would be still unbeaten.

I'm based in Dublin so I won't be staying overnight should I get to go at all. Baby 3 is only 7 weeks old so I'll have to be a good boy between now and then. Haha
If Laois win they should be in with a great chance then of promotion.
Should Tyrone win then we're right back in the mix with Kildare at home and Meath away in the last 2 games.

I wish we had at least one up and coming young forward to bring some freshness to our attack. Coney doesn't seem to have kicked on from his minor days to the same extent that Peter Harte & McKenna have. Is Mark Donnelly close to breaking into the team for the summer.
As I've said before with the McMahons, Cavanaghs, Cassidy, SoN, Mugsy, McCarron & McCaul we have quite a lot of height and strength running through the team now compared to years ago.
I think these factors certainly benefited Cork last year in that even when they didn't play particular well, their physicality and pace helped them immensely.

tyronebhoy

Just checking with laois lads, where would be the best place to park on Saturday night?

red hander

There's ample, dedicated parking at the ground which should be more than sufficient for the crowd expected on Saturday night

Fuzzman

Wonder is there much of a crowd coming down for this game?
I heard there was a big crowd in Sligo but I suppose its a good bit further to Port Laoise on a Sat night

Wonder will Justy be going back into FB this weekend.

rrhf

Wouldnt see this as a given.  To be honest the weaknesses in the half back line and half forward line have been exposed all league - we are getting absolutely murdered in these areas and its putting us on the back foot all the time.  If the Mc Mahon who are Tyrones two most effective footballers are used around these areas they will have much more influence on games, can you remember Justy and Joe trying to break through the lines fro us from deep against Dublin - that was unsuccessful.   For long periods of each game to date for quite long periods the ball has been raining in against Mc Carron, Mc Caul, PJ and Swift so far and to be honest I think they have fared well.  If I was adding Mc Mahons I would be looking at anywhere from the half back line up, knowing full well that when they are needed the can be called upon to move further back when the pressure is on.   

tbrick18

I think this game is too close to call on recent form.
Laois were head and shoulders above Derry....totally wiped us out around the middle and their forwards took some great scores.
We've beat Tyrone twice and using that rationing Laios should win. But then looking at Tyrone in their last 2 leagues games they seem to be improving where Laois get bate by Kildare, who Derry also beat!
Going by form anything could happen.
If Laois play like they did against us they have a real chance. IF they dont, I can see Tyrone winning easily.

Fear ón Srath Bán

That's a fair synopsis I'd say tbrick.

I don't believe we've actually ever won in O'Moore Park?

The team:

Tyrone (Allianz FL v Laois) - P McConnell, C McCarron, D McCaul, D Carlin, D Harte, C Gormley, R McMenamin, K Hughes, A Cassidy, C Cavanagh, B McGuigan, S Cavanagh, M Penrose, S O'Neill, O Mulligan.

Subs: J Curran, Mark Donnelly, A McCrory, Joe McMahon, Justin McMahon, Sean O'Neill, PJ Quinn, M Swift.

So Packie back in nets, and Cathal Mc Carron in for Red Seán.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mr. Nakata

Although McCarron is lined out in the corner, I have a feeling he will be full back for the year. We're past the half way point in the league, so the team will soon start taking shape. U-21 players can still force their way into contention. What would concern me is the gap between the last league game on April 10th and the championship game on 5th June (8 weeks). That's a nightmare being pencilled in as the last Ulster quarter-final fixture. We all know the beard's attitude to friendlies, they ain't gonna happen. 8 weeks of training isn't the best preperation with no games. If we could get into the league final at least that would be 1 more competitve game, so Saturday night's game in Laois is massive.