Dublin v Mayo, Croke Park, March 20 (or maybe the 18th, you wouldn't know).

Started by IolarCoisCuain, March 14, 2011, 10:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 21, 2011, 12:08:46 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 21, 2011, 11:57:01 AM
I think the Mayo team was badly setup. Using Gardiner as a sweeper was tactically inept.

Its hard to see Mayo not conceding big scores against good forward lines. They will score a lot -but they'll need to.

I dont agree. IMO it was a good idea, poorly executed by the players due to lack of experience. Properly executed with the right man in the role will curb any attack. Thats not to say Gardiner wouldnt grow into the role either

Gardiner has never been a defender per se. Always an attacker even when lined out in the backs. It was essentially giving a player a job he's not equipped to do. That was naive in my view.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: INDIANA on March 21, 2011, 12:27:24 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on March 21, 2011, 12:08:46 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 21, 2011, 11:57:01 AM
I think the Mayo team was badly setup. Using Gardiner as a sweeper was tactically inept.

Its hard to see Mayo not conceding big scores against good forward lines. They will score a lot -but they'll need to.

I dont agree. IMO it was a good idea, poorly executed by the players due to lack of experience. Properly executed with the right man in the role will curb any attack. Thats not to say Gardiner wouldnt grow into the role either

Gardiner has never been a defender per se. Always an attacker even when lined out in the backs. It was essentially giving a player a job he's not equipped to do. That was naive in my view.

I think Indiana's right. The idea was odd from the beginning - Gardiner was only playing because Aiden O'Shea didn't start, so the plan midweek wasn't to play a sweeper at all. They seem to have played Gardiner as a sweeper for the sake of it, and that was a naive thing to do. Doing something for the sake of it is seldom a good reason to go something.

That said, I wouldn't read too much into it. I don't think Mayo are that far away at all, actually, although I take careful note of Moysider's post last night, wondering if in concentrating on finding out who Mayo's best fifteen are Horan has overlooked the not-insignificant detail of how they're to play once assembled. But boys - sure 'tis only the League. Loads of time yet.

AbbeySider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 21, 2011, 01:46:49 PM
I think Indiana's right. The idea was odd from the beginning - Gardiner was only playing because Aiden O'Shea didn't start, so the plan midweek wasn't to play a sweeper at all. They seem to have played Gardiner as a sweeper for the sake of it, and that was a naive thing to do. Doing something for the sake of it is seldom a good reason to go something.

I dont think that is quite true.

From what we have seen, the teams that have gone to press the week of a game are rarely the team that starts so one can gather that Horan doesnt like to show his hand before the throw in.

I do know that those starting the games are aware they are starting that week so the teams that go to press may not tell all that is planned for games the following weekend. Hence, playing Gardiner as a sweeper was very much deliberate and not for the sake of it.

Again, if it was properly executed it could be a weapon in our arsenal should we need to call on it again. Whether Gardiner is the man for the role remains to be seen. 

Chris agus Snoop

Just an observation, but it in any 50/50 ball the dubs seemed to shrug off any Mayo player easily. Mayo lads looked physically "slighter" as well, does mayo have a weights program in place?
It would definately help especially along the spine of the team.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 21, 2011, 02:05:19 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 21, 2011, 01:46:49 PM

I dont think that is quite true.

From what we have seen, the teams that have gone to press the week of a game are rarely the team that starts so one can gather that Horan doesnt like to show his hand before the throw in.

I do know that those starting the games are aware they are starting that week so the teams that go to press may not tell all that is planned for games the following weekend. Hence, playing Gardiner as a sweeper was very much deliberate and not for the sake of it.

Again, if it was properly executed it could be a weapon in our arsenal should we need to call on it again. Whether Gardiner is the man for the role remains to be seen.

Hmm. I looked it up Abbeysider, and you're right. Horan does like the old switcheroo before games. Well, that's bad news so. I always hate that sort of messing with teams. Don't think it's every worth it.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on March 21, 2011, 02:32:31 PM
Just an observation, but it in any 50/50 ball the dubs seemed to shrug off any Mayo player easily. Mayo lads looked physically "slighter" as well, does mayo have a weights program in place?

Mayo have a new strength and conditioning program in place but unfortunately we are a good bit behind other counties in that aspect as from what I can see the last four years were wasted under the last management in that aspect of the game.

Hound

Quote from: Declan on March 21, 2011, 09:32:18 AM
QuoteI think its lazy analysis to suggest Connolly is lazy.

Didn't mean to suggest he is lazy - I think his style of running and manner of play looks like he's not trying as hard as other lads - maybe he is but I'll wait unti lhe poroduces in the championship to finally judge him.

If he turns out to be half the player Maurice Fitz was I'd be happy!!
I enjoyed his two late points even more than his 3 goals. That was when the pressure was on, Mayo had come back to level and had all the momentum. Diarmuid stepped up to the plate with two medium to long range point efforts and nailed them both.

Of course he has weaknesses and nobody should expect him to score 3-3 again, but he's by miles the best full forward in Dublin, and should be kept at 14 for the forseeable future.

mannix

how many of the veteran mayo players on the field yesterday have gained a pond of muscle since we first seen them? david brady types are thin on the ground in mayo it seems.

GalwayBayBoy

Chimley

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on March 21, 2011, 02:32:31 PM

We need to add a rack to stretch a few of them as well.

ludermor

Quote from: ross matt on March 21, 2011, 08:18:11 AM
I like the way this thread has been hijacked in to "which Connacht county can talk themselves down the most"....

It's Mayo's title to lose no matter how much they say otherwise. They've  a young intelligent manager who is experimenting with various lineouts of successful underage sides and still managing not to get hammered in div 1. Horan is totally focussed on the championship and will deliver I think.

If a mayo supporter said that you would be the first to say they were over confident and cocky!!

AbbeySider

Quote from: mannix on March 21, 2011, 04:15:32 PM
how many of the veteran mayo players on the field yesterday have gained a pond of muscle since we first seen them? david brady types are thin on the ground in mayo it seems.

Off the top of my head I would say that Andy Moran, James Kilcullen, Kilcoyne and Keith Higgins all look bulkier than last year.

Of the guys that were there last year I would say that Donal Vaughan, Ger Cafferkey and Enda Varley have also improved their physique.

The rest of the new guys (Feeney, Hallinan, O Connor, Gibbons, etc) seem better conditioned in the last few months but would need another proper winters conditioning where as the likes of McGarity, Kevin McGloughlin and Gardiner may not put on as much as its just not in some peoples physical makeup to make big gains in muscle no matter how hard they try.

And anyway, the idea that you need big muscles for GAA is a thing of the past. Strong core, legs, glutes and developing power is more beneficial when the chips are down.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 21, 2011, 04:35:46 PM
Strong core, legs, glutes and developing power is more beneficial when the chips are down.

Big thighs and arses in other words. ;D

ross4life

You Mayo fans need a little perspective

last two results..Mayo 1-10 Armagh 2-10, Dublin 4-15 Mayo 3-13 & this place is panic stations!

Try these results we got in 2008, Dublin 3-20 Roscommon 0-7, Armagh 4-20 Roscommon 0-8

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AbbeySider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 21, 2011, 04:38:41 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on March 21, 2011, 04:35:46 PM
Strong core, legs, glutes and developing power is more beneficial when the chips are down.

Big thighs and arses in other words. ;D

"An arse like a bag a cement" as Brolly once put it!  :D