Fermanagh

Started by Orior, March 13, 2011, 09:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fermanaghandsam

Hopefully everything will get sorted out tonight one way or the other and we can move on. In reality the current management will remain in place this year and the county team will struggle badly with the limited numbers we have. I fear an absolute hammering from Derry. Our county squad seems to be turning into a Lisnaskea/Devenish Select (O'Neills prevous two clubs I believe) with a few players from other clubs threw in.

On a different note, I have heard a few names of players that have been asked in the last week to come out for fermanagh this year to increase the squad size, and some of them are no where near county standard, one in fact was a sub for his club on several occasions this year. One such player even told me that O'Neill didn't even ring him, he had Owens ringing him instead, which seems a bit strange. Surely a manager should be making these calls.

FermGael

looks like the whole thing is over.
County Board backs O'Neill and surprise surprise tells the Gaa/Gpa to shove it.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=145347
The statement released by the Fermanagh county board reads:

Fermanagh County Management Committee met on Wednesday 30th March 2011 to discuss issues regarding our Senior Football team - we wish to make the following statement:

We acknowledge that four players informed County Officers in writing last Tuesday (22/3/11) that they had formally withdrawn from the Fermanagh Senior Football Panel. As a result of this letter, Officers of the County Board met these players last Thursday in accordance with the Disputes Resolution Protocols as outlined in the recently announced GAA/GPA Recognition Agreement.

Following discussion of the report of that meeting we wish to state the following:

1. Fermanagh County Management Committee fully supports the Management Team of John O'Neill and his backroom team.

2. We commend the leadership shown by the Senior Team Captain and Players' Representative, Barry Owens, and pledge our support to all those panel members who have continued to play for our Senior Football Team.

3. We reaffirm that all our Team Managers are appointed to a three year term.

4. We regret that the four players are currently unavailable for selection to our senior team, and acknowledge their contribution to Fermanagh football over the years.

5. We are committed to working to address issues raised by all players.

6. Following discussions with the GAA/GPA we did not consider that their suggestions represented an appropriate way forward for Fermanagh.

We recognise that the senior team is in transition, and we ask that the current Team Management and Players are given time and space to manage this situation. We appeal to all Fermanagh Gaels to continue their support to all our County Teams
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Fermanaghandsam

Surely the county board have made a big big error here. The players are now bound to make their problems with the manager and county board public knowledge now, and this may get pretty embarrassing for the county board.

But the decision is no surprise, typical Fermanagh county board, stick your head in the sand and hope it all goes away. It needs a massive shake up, but this won't happen and as usual they will all just rotate there positions within the county board and no new blood will get a look in and the old heads will remain to hold the county back in the dark ages.

rrhf

Strong leadership from the Fermanagh county board there,if they can work behind the scenes and avoid the double edged sword ie "help" from the GPA and their cronies, then they surely can work their way out of this.  The 4 lads who walked out on their county teammates will have their own reasons for doing so.  But as someone so eloquently pointed out earlier just imagine what these 4 guys could achieve if they were given their perfect conditions to do so....?  If budget for preparing a team as in any other walk of life was dependent on performance levels then and these guys would be just ahead of Kilkenny footballer s and London at the moment....  Young lads will always delude themselves.  By the way I have total admiration and always did have for Owens.  What an asset he is to the GAA in Fermanagh     

FermGael

Quote from: rrhf on March 31, 2011, 12:43:11 PM
Strong leadership from the Fermanagh county board there,if they can work behind the scenes and avoid the double edged sword ie "help" from the GPA and their cronies, then they surely can work their way out of this.  The 4 lads who walked out on their county teammates will have their own reasons for doing so.  But as someone so eloquently pointed out earlier just imagine what these 4 guys could achieve if they were given their perfect conditions to do so....?  If budget for preparing a team as in any other walk of life was dependent on performance levels then and these guys would be just ahead of Kilkenny footballer s and London at the moment....  Young lads will always delude themselves.  By the way I have total admiration and always did have for Owens.  What an asset he is to the GAA in Fermanagh     

Thats the one thing it is not RRHF. 
Its a lot more than 4 players unfortunately.  The 4 players mentioned were just the last 4 to walk out.

rrhf

Well - theres those rightly or wrongly who cant believe the GPA were allowed into a county boards meeting room to do business on behalf of GAA members in Fermanagh, in the first place and who were fearful of what could be obtained with their mediators, Many indeed might be glad to see them chased back down the road to their Croke Park offices with their tails between their legs - rightly or wrongly of course. 

Hound

Quote from: rrhf on March 31, 2011, 01:01:38 PM
Well - theres those rightly or wrongly who cant believe the GPA were allowed into a county boards meeting room to do business on behalf of GAA members in Fermanagh, in the first place and who were fearful of what could be obtained with their mediators, Many indeed might be glad to see them chased back down the road to their Croke Park offices with their tails between their legs - rightly or wrongly of course.
FFS, the GPA werent doing "business on behalf of GAA members in Fermanagh". They (along with the GAA) were trying to mediate a dispute between the 10 or so Fermangh players who have left the panel and the management. The GAA and the GPA between came up with a plan, but I don't think the plan has been made public so its hard to give an opinion on the Fermanagh Board's statement (other than mentioning 4 players having left the panel is very much a "half-truth"). Of course the FCB have every right to ignore the GAA/GPA idea. They are put their position of power by all the clubs and their members.

But its not the GPA who have been "chased back down the road with their tails between their legs", its the 10 or so Fermanagh players.

FermGael

Whether we like it or not, The GPA is now part of the Gaa.
From my understanding , the Gaa and the GPA together worked hard to some up with this mediation solution
for situations like this.  All that hard work has been for nothing
The Fermanagh County Board entered the mediation process with the GAA/GPA.
Just because they did not like compromise solution as a way forward does not give them an excuse to pull out.
I am sure there are other stages in the process that could have been implemented.
Now they have totally undermined the whole process.

samwin08

Was I correct --my post 24th March
Effectively what happens now in Fermanagh is:
The Co Board and Management begin their whispering campaign and media spin  to discredit all the men who stood for the standards expected for county footballers and will be insinuating that those who withdrew are some kind of traitor who did not wish to play for their county. The players who stood for their beliefs are the heroes of Fermanagh . They are the real players who care about the future. Their clubs should now stand behind them . Most of the players remaining in the panel  are not County standard-- a la Limerick Hurlers, Cork Hurlers. O Neill already issued an ultimatum to these lambs  in the dressing rooms in Carrick to either put up or  shut up. O Neill has a power base in two clubs  which will ensure that he will be able  to field a reseve team.The one major point that the County Board are forgetting is the finance for  all future county teams will now be in jeopardy.   The reality is Fermanagh has  a 4th division county board, none of whom achieved anything of note in their lives.This situation reflects what the rest of Ulster normally think of Fermanagh footballers--toothless, gutless  are words often used. but these cannot be applied to the  heroes who stood for their rights.
Stand by our men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fermanaghandsam

Quote from: AQMP on March 31, 2011, 01:34:30 PM
Every county in the country would have a number of players who do not committ to the intercounty scene for various reasons, work, family, don't like the manager, don't like the colour of the polo shirts supplied, etc. 

The difference here is that all 15 of the Ulster final team in 2008 and 12 of the 15 that started in the championship against cavan are gone, this does not happen in every county in the country, and there must be something making them all quit.

Quote from: AQMP on March 31, 2011, 01:34:30 PM
Another quick point about the set up...I don't think JON will prove to be a particularly successful inter county manager but he didn't take Fermanagh into Div 4.

However it would be nice to be at least competitive in Div4, which we are currently not and won't be until things change.

The one thing I can't understand is why O'Neill wants to stay. If I was the manager and a significant number of my squad quit because of me, and on top of that at best, public opinion is split about my appointment, and the fact our results have been shocking I would quit for the good of all concerned.

samwin08

O Neill can stay as long as he wants. but supporters will vote with their feet. The few  pro O  Neill supporters get in free anyways. The facts are Fermangh will be in the wilderness ( Div 3 /4), and with out an Ulster Championship win  for many years to come .Neither John O Neill , his failed back room,  or  his reserve footballers  are capable of restoring Fermanagh's fortunes. the effects of this mis managment will  go far beyond O Neill and the County Board.

where to now for Dessi  and the GPA?
Dessie has failed to stand by his members

Fermanaghandsam

Quote from: AQMP on March 31, 2011, 01:56:04 PM
You're right...in most counties supporters would be looking to clear out the squad that was relegated from Div 2 to Div 4 in successive seasons.  Big fish, very small pond??

I really doubt most supporters would be looking to clear out all 15 of the players that just 3 years ago got us to our first Ulster final in about 25 years. Especially as we do have such a small pool of players to pick from.

Hound

Quote from: samwin08 on March 31, 2011, 03:00:56 PM
Utter nonsense.

The GPA and GAA tried to facilitate an agreement but Fermanagh County Board told them they weren't interested.

What the hell more can they do? The players have voted with their feet, they can do no more.

Its now up to the fans and, in particular club members in Fermanagh to decide whether they want to take action or let it slide.

Fermanaghandsam

Well said Hound, the players have taken a stand and risked there intercounty futures, now its up to the fans and clubs to show there support for them.

If not, the situation will die away and Fermanagh football will continue to go backways.

Banana Man

Quote from: samwin08 on March 31, 2011, 03:00:56 PM
O Neill can stay as long as he wants. but supporters will vote with their feet. The few  pro O  Neill supporters get in free anyways. The facts are Fermangh will be in the wilderness ( Div 3 /4), and with out an Ulster Championship win  for many years to come .Neither John O Neill , his failed back room,  or  his reserve footballers  are capable of restoring Fermanagh's fortunes. the effects of this mis managment will  go far beyond O Neill and the County Board.

where to now for Dessi  and the GPA?

you sure you aren't from fermanagh....