Shoulder Surgery

Started by DoireGael, March 09, 2011, 08:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoireGael

Basically I dislocated my shoulder 2/3 times. Had open shoulder surgery 6 months ago, all went well.

I have been in physio for around 4 months with the NHS, which has also went very well. I hope to be back on the field in the next two months, currently doing non-contact and alot of gym stuff (Any recommended exercises?). 

This is quite a common GAA injury and with the rugby guys, I would be interested if anyone has similar experiences?

Ps. Get them underage teams doing there push ups and pulls ups, makes a huge difference in injury prevention like this for the future.

Milltown Row2

Have had dozens of dislocations over the years. Mainly with my left shoulder and a few times on my right. Doctor told me that even if i had an operation there is no guarantee that it won't happen again. It's got nothing to do with building strength around the shoulder. My shoulder was popping out during minor altercations in a match popped out when i sneezed one day!!!

It was when you had a hit when not expecting it, that it popped. I never bothered having the operation and played on regardless. I can pop it back in on my own now (Mel Gibson style)

As you have said, seems more common in GAA now
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

INDIANA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 09, 2011, 08:38:34 PM
Have had dozens of dislocations over the years. Mainly with my left shoulder and a few times on my right. Doctor told me that even if i had an operation there is no guarantee that it won't happen again. It's got nothing to do with building strength around the shoulder. My shoulder was popping out during minor altercations in a match popped out when i sneezed one day!!!

It was when you had a hit when not expecting it, that it popped. I never bothered having the operation and played on regardless. I can pop it back in on my own now (Mel Gibson style)

after the op it will never go again. Dont know what doctors you were talking too.

Recovery time now is 13 weeks. Used to be 5 months.

DoireGael

Yeah I have done quite a bit of reading around the subject.  I know 4 guys who had the surgery (All footballers/rugby) they haven't had a problem with it, no further dislocations and are back playing at the level they were before. Rehab period is just extremely long and tedious.

I have heard in the states that if someone dislocates below the age of 18 they just send them directly for surgery as the odds of it coming out again are extremely high.

Yet I think injury prevention work should be something the  GAA should promote more for the younger fellas, even if that is just telling them to get plenty of water onboard during the day. I am not saying weights here, but been able to hand there own body weight is vital.

Having seen a programme for a young fella playing rubgy at under age for ulster I was quite astonished.

INDIANA

Quote from: DoireGael on March 12, 2011, 03:20:48 PM
Yeah I have done quite a bit of reading around the subject.  I know 4 guys who had the surgery (All footballers/rugby) they haven't had a problem with it, no further dislocations and are back playing at the level they were before. Rehab period is just extremely long and tedious.

I have heard in the states that if someone dislocates below the age of 18 they just send them directly for surgery as the odds of it coming out again are extremely high.

Yet I think injury prevention work should be something the  GAA should promote more for the younger fellas, even if that is just telling them to get plenty of water onboard during the day. I am not saying weights here, but been able to hand there own body weight is vital.

Having seen a programme for a young fella playing rubgy at under age for ulster I was quite astonished.

Depends on how bad it is. For a rugby player- you'd have to have the op. Gaa player- depends on how bad it is. A good rehab programme works in many cases. however if its always coming out- you should get it done.
The older you get the less likely it is to re-occur.

king of leon

Had my 2nd op on the same shoulder in the space of 2 years there 4weeks ago. The 1st one was done arthriscopicaly and basically wasn't a success.  I had it done with the 'open' procedure this time. The surgeon seems pretty happy that I'll be back playing again as there was very little or no damage done to the original repair but I have either damaged it playing again or the arthroscopy didnt see the full extent of the damage.

A lot of surgeons would argue that the open procedure is slightly more effective overall but causes more pain and scarring and a slightly longer rehab..

Speaking from experience, I think its vital to come back slowly from this op as the shoulder is the most flexible joint thus the most easily injured..

Ive a long s****y rehab ahead of me but I won't be rushing back just for the sake of it..

Im looking into a TRX (suspension training) at the minute which should be of good benefit down the road in rehab.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: INDIANA on March 12, 2011, 10:57:11 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 09, 2011, 08:38:34 PM

after the op it will never go again. Dont know what doctors you were talking too.

Recovery time now is 13 weeks. Used to be 5 months.

the Surgeon from the Royal who was going to perform the operation in Musgrave Hospital. Name escapes me.

My first dislocation happened when i was 18 and i probably didn't do proper rehab. (was heading to holidays soon after it happened)

But that's what the Doctor said and advised me not to have it done. (I was 31/32 at the time)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea