Question for southerners

Started by Eamonnca1, March 08, 2011, 10:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 09, 2011, 05:06:31 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 09, 2011, 04:59:30 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 09, 2011, 04:27:56 PM
Quote from: Canalman on March 09, 2011, 01:17:19 PM

Also some from the North cannot understand why the normal day to day grind/issues of life down here seems to preoccupy us more than the situation up North. Never heard them bemoaning the problems we have had here and still have, yet squeal away like brats when ambivalence is all they got form us.

Well said.

You obviously don't pay a lot of attention to goings on around you. Either that or you are indulging in some general bullshitting. Look at the threads on the recent election and then try telling me nobody from the six counties showed any interest.

Just to push their Sinn Féin-Gerry Adams-United Ireland Agenda (not sure they really cared much about anything else other than that).

Jaysus precious coming from yourself. FG/Enda's greatest mouthpiece!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: supersarsfields on March 09, 2011, 05:16:07 PM
Sorry I don't believe you.

Spent a long time in liverpool and knew none bar one who had a UK passport. And I don't believe that someone from the "6" didn't know what a Taoiseach was. I think your making up stories to try and make a point.

Again this is all my opinion.

Its not, 2 lads I actually live with, does my head in to be honest. Sitting around in their Celtic jersies. Have got in quite a few arguments over this after a few drinks, they and their mates start their Free State traitor bullshit (alot of Bogball stuff) and I tear into their RA singing and not having a fcking clue about anything about Ireland.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 09, 2011, 05:17:00 PM

Also some from the North cannot understand why the normal day to day grind/issues of life down here seems to preoccupy us more than the situation up North. Never heard them bemoaning the problems we have had here and still have, yet squeal away like brats when ambivalence is all they got form us.

Well said.

You obviously don't pay a lot of attention to goings on around you. Either that or you are indulging in some general bullshitting. Look at the threads on the recent election and then try telling me nobody from the six counties showed any interest.

Just to push their Sinn Féin-Gerry Adams-United Ireland Agenda (not sure they really cared much about anything else other than that).

Fair enough Nally Stand, but my charge still stands.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 09, 2011, 05:20:24 PM

Well said.

And I would have thought that the self-titled "republican" and biggest cheerleader for Enda and of FG (who like to call themselves the "United Ireland Party"), would not have any issue WHAT SO EVER with a the pushing of a "United Ireland Agenda"? Mask slipping Mayo!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 09, 2011, 05:23:31 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 09, 2011, 05:20:24 PM

Well said.

And I would have thought that the self-titled "republican" and biggest cheerleader for Enda and of FG (who like to call themselves the "United Ireland Party"), would not have any issue WHAT SO EVER with a the pushing of a "United Ireland Agenda"? Mask slipping Mayo!

Not at all, but that seems to be the ONLY agenda that ye care about. Priorities in the Republic are different. Mask is not slipping the issues of a United Ireland and a Republican Ireland are both important, but not necessarily the same thing.
The Economy, Jobs, the Healthcare system, the Education System, Political Reform, Public Service Reform, Financial Sector Reform, Infrastructure, Agriculture etc. are more pressing priorities.

supersarsfields

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 09, 2011, 05:19:42 PM

Spent a long time in liverpool and knew none bar one who had a UK passport. And I don't believe that someone from the "6" didn't know what a Taoiseach was. I think your making up stories to try and make a point.

Its not, 2 lads I actually live with, does my head in to be honest. Sitting around in their Celtic jersies. Have got in quite a few arguments over this after a few drinks, they and their mates start their Free State traitor bullshit (alot of Bogball stuff) and I tear into their RA singing and not having a fcking clue about anything about Ireland.

I just think it too easy for people to put up their personal experience to try and label a group of people which is what I feel you've done. I could just as easily say that all Mayo people I've met hate the idea of a UI and actually believe that all Northerns are Brits.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: supersarsfields on March 09, 2011, 05:29:26 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 09, 2011, 05:19:42 PM

I just think it too easy for people to put up their personal experience to try and label a group of people which is what I feel you've done. I could just as easily say that all Mayo people I've met hate the idea of a UI and actually believe that all Northerns are Brits.

Despite what people may think I have alot of time for Nordies & NornIroners (what I call my mates depending on which foot they kick with) here in Liverpool. I tend to hang around mostly with Northern GAA Nationalists and (middle class) Unionists, I get in alot of arguments with Belfast Glasgow Celtic heads. The GAA Nationalists & (MS) Unionists are great craic and we always drink together. I never call any of them British (EVER) I might call the Nationalists Irish and the Unionists Irish or Northern Irish. But fck me its nearly always an argument when I meet those other RA loving pricks, nearly all travelling on British passports and obsessed with British t.v. and soccer, then know more about David Cameron than anything or anyone in the Dáil.

The funny thing is our English mates think I'm the mad Irish Republican coz I always on about Ireland this that and the other.

laoislad

A huge amount of nationalists in the six counties have relations and friends in the south and furthermore, proudly regard ourselves as Irish and feel instinctively involved in what happens in the 26 counties,

Ah but sure your not really though are ye...

(feel free to use me being from the Queens County in your reply,most Nordies use it and it usually goes something like..." Sure your only a wee brit boy being from the Queens County Hi " )
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Nally Stand

Quote from: laoislad on March 09, 2011, 05:40:05 PM
A huge amount of nationalists in the six counties have relations and friends in the south and furthermore, proudly regard ourselves as Irish and feel instinctively involved in what happens in the 26 counties,

Ah but sure your not really though are ye...

(feel free to use me being from the Queens County in your reply,most Nordies use it and it usually goes something like..." Sure your only a wee brit boy being from the Queens County Hi " )

Sure your only a wee brit boy being from the Queens County Hi

(thanks for the tip off, takes the effort out of it!!)

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 09, 2011, 05:37:24 PM
I get in alot of arguments with Belfast Glasgow Celtic heads. The GAA Nationalists & (MS) Unionists are great craic and we always drink together.....  its nearly always an argument when I meet those other RA loving pricks, nearly all travelling on British passports and obsessed with British t.v. and soccer, then know more about David Cameron than anything or anyone in the Dáil.

Is the GAA not non-political?!  ;)

What about people from the six counties who are not from Belfast, do not follow soccer what-so-ever (outside of reading scores in the paper), despises all (not just British) reality TV, despises all (especially British) soap operas, who lives for GAA, who never has and never will have a British Passport, who keeps a close eye on goings on in the Dáil while not giving two flying fcuks about David Cameron, but still "loves" the IRA?

Maguire01

Well said.

You obviously don't pay a lot of attention to goings on around you. Either that or you are indulging in some general bullshitting. Look at the threads on the recent election and then try telling me nobody from the six counties showed any interest. It seemed to me that every so often in those threads, we had certain numpties telling us all that the "the nordies are ruining this thread" and that this election is "nothing to do with you nordies". A huge amount of nationalists in the six counties have relations and friends in the south and furthermore, proudly regard ourselves as Irish and feel instinctively involved in what happens in the 26 counties, and as a result, are directly interested and involved in events of late (particularly since we asipre to Irish Re-Unification). The vast majority of nationalists in the six counties read the Irish News, which carried election coverage from every single day of the recent election. All the news channels were covering it in detail. Everyone was talking about it. If you didn't listen, it doesn't change that.
To be honest, the interest from those in the north were limited to about 10 main contributers with a general interest in politics - a lot of posters on the board didn't come near the discussions. Also, from my own experience in work (in a 'mixed' environment) there was very little knowledge of or interest in the election. 'everyone talking about it might have been your experience, but i'd imagine that depends on who you might interact with on a daily basis.

And the vast majority of nationalists in the north don't read the Irish News - its circulation is just over 40,000.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 09, 2011, 05:55:39 PM
I get in alot of arguments with Belfast Glasgow Celtic heads. The GAA Nationalists & (MS) Unionists are great craic and we always drink together.....  its nearly always an argument when I meet those other RA loving pricks, nearly all travelling on British passports and obsessed with British t.v. and soccer, then know more about David Cameron than anything or anyone in the Dáil.

What about people from the six counties who are not from Belfast, do not follow soccer what-so-ever (outside of reading scores in the paper), despises all (not just British) reality TV, despises all (especially British) soap operas, who lives for GAA, who never has and never will have a British Passport, who keeps a close eye on goings on in the Dáil while not giving two flying fcuks about David Cameron, but still "loves" the IRA?

Yes the GAA is Apolitical. From my experiences GAA people seem to be slightly more aware of the world around them.

Listen I know a few of that type, but if they keep that shit to themselves and able to have the craic with me, and moderate Nationalists, Unionists and English, then we operate a don't ask and we won't be told approach, its let slide a little. When the Fields come on and you start the IRA shit, don't be surprised if I start booing.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 09, 2011, 06:10:34 PM

Yes the GAA is Apolitical. From my experiences GAA people seem to be slightly more aware of the world around them.

Listen I know a few of that type, but if they keep that shit to themselves and able to have the craic with me, and moderate Nationalists, Unionists and English, then we operate a don't ask and we won't be told approach, its let slide a little. When the Fields come on and you start the IRA shit, don't be surprised if I start booing.

You mean we could be friends?! I'd have to politely ask that you would have to keep all that FG shit to yourself too. I can see a bright new dawn in our relationship Mayo  :D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 09, 2011, 06:22:45 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 09, 2011, 06:10:34 PM

You mean we could be friends?! I'd have to politely ask that you would have to keep all that FG shit to yourself too. I can see a bright new dawn in our relationship Mayo  :D

Well I did get alot of my GE Fine Gael seat wins updates texts from an Sinn Féiner (Cork man).

Evil Genius

Does anyone really need 7 pages of (yet another) thread on "The National Question" to prove the essential and inescapable truth of Brendan Behan's splendid aphorism that "Whenever Irish Republicans meet, the first item on the Agenda is always 'The Split'"?  ;)

Not that I am objecting to such "debate", since it provides great entertainment for Unionists like me, whilst providing a convenient distraction for Nationalists from the highly inconvenient, but undeniable fact that with the Nationalist vote in NI having clearly plateaued since the turn of the century, it matters not a jot what Mexicans think about Partition/The North etc, since it is we Unionists who hold the deciding vote.

On which point, now that the Celtic Tiger has been poached and its bones ground down for Chinese medicine (or whatever), there is no longer even an economic case for Unity [sic]  to which Nationalists might point, in order to counter our inherent emotional antipathy which, following 30 years of  murderous assault by the new TD for Louth and his fellow gangsters etc, is now well-nigh implacable.

Still, yiz can all have a great big party in 2016, if ye can even remember what it is you're commemorating... :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"