Question for southerners

Started by Eamonnca1, March 08, 2011, 10:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 09, 2011, 10:33:05 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 09, 2011, 09:08:14 AM
I think people from the north are treated just like we would treat any other Irish person, and why wouldn't we? That's what they are.

As I've mentioned before though on this site, one thing that irritates the sh1te out of me is the the term "nordies" and talking about "them up north" (Donegal is in the north too, but don't fall into that category somehow) as if we are a different race. We are one and the same. Partition didn't change our race or identity. I am just as Irish now as my Grandparents were before Partition. As I also mentioned before on a different thread, in various travels overseas, when I would meet a lad from Meath or where ever, I would always have referred to him as being from Meath. He on the other hand would mostly refer to be as being from "the north" rather than Tyrone. There is a deeply rooted partitionism which is there even on this sort of subconscious level among a huge portion in my experience.

Really Nally? I honestly can say that I've never heard someone from the north being 'from the north', unless they are talking about a group from the north, same as a group from 'The midlands'.

I can't even figure out how the subject would come up. Howya, I'm AZ, I'm from Offaly, in Ireland. This is Nally, he's from 'The North' in Ireland. It seems weird to me.

I think the terms nordie and Mexican are harmless enough Hardy, unless you don't like being a Mexican. I think the terms 'Brit' and 'Free Stater' are a bit harsher.

Hardy

I agree, AZ. Just making the point that they're inherently partitionist and I don't see much difference in the incidence of partitionism here as between Nordies and Mexicans.

Banana Man

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 09, 2011, 10:47:13 AM
I think people from the north are treated just like we would treat any other Irish person, and why wouldn't we? That's what they are.

As I've mentioned before though on this site, one thing that irritates the sh1te out of me is the the term "nordies" and talking about "them up north" (Donegal is in the north too, but don't fall into that category somehow) as if we are a different race. We are one and the same. Partition didn't change our race or identity. I am just as Irish now as my Grandparents were before Partition. As I also mentioned before on a different thread, in various travels overseas, when I would meet a lad from Meath or where ever, I would always have referred to him as being from Meath. He on the other hand would mostly refer to be as being from "the north" rather than Tyrone. There is a deeply rooted partitionism which is there even on this sort of subconscious level among a huge portion in my experience.

Really Nally? I honestly can say that I've never heard someone from the north being 'from the north', unless they are talking about a group from the north, same as a group from 'The midlands'.

I can't even figure out how the subject would come up. Howya, I'm AZ, I'm from Offaly, in Ireland. This is Nally, he's from 'The North' in Ireland. It seems weird to me.

I think the terms nordie and Mexican are harmless enough Hardy, unless you don't like being a Mexican. I think the terms 'Brit' and 'Free Stater' are a bit harsher.

i would agree AZ, i think mexican and nordie are harmless enough to be fair

Fear ón Srath Bán

Being from the north (and domiciled south) we're probably slightly more sensitive to the 'from the north' lumping together that some of the commentariat (in particular) engage in.

For example, I'll often hear, where a group of individuals comprising both north and south is concerned, someone refer to those south of the border as being from county 'wherever', but those from the north as being from 'northern Ireland'. This is mostly an unconscious but deep-rooted partitionism, though it is deeply offensive nonetheless -- imagine being blithely mixed in with those Armagh wans as one and the same  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seafoid

I think if FF had pursued a more sustainable economic model that could have raised the standard of living of the North as well as the Republic via trade and investment and shown the Unionists that the southern Taigs were economically competent and
capable , there would have been a better chance of a change to the political framework.
AIB for example could have done a lot given that it has branches all over the island.

But AIB was destroyed by greed and ineptitude and much of the respect that that people like Peter Robinson had for the achievements of the Tiger years disappeared along with Brian Cowen's reputation.     

Nally Stand

Quote from: Hardy on March 09, 2011, 10:39:35 AM
Is that similar to the  partitionism that employs terminology such as "Free Staters", "Mexicans", etc?

Mexicans is a term I've never used in my life and Free Stater is a term I use to describe partitionists in the 26 counties. And yes when I'm wound up by such partitionism, I'll often refer to the whole of the 26 as "The Free State" but I never talk about someone and refer to them as being from "The Free State" or "a Free Stater" instead of talking about them as being from "County ....." which is my point in the first instance.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hardy

You real Nordies think you have it bad. Try imagining what it's like to be accused of being from "The North" when you're as Mexican as Speedy Gonzales. That happens regularly down here in Langerland.

Nally Stand

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 09, 2011, 10:47:13 AM

I'm not talking about in terms of introducing each other to foreigners and explaining where abouts we're from "In Ireland". I always remember one fella in particular from Laois, who was introducing me to his woman by telling her "This is ....." and going on to tell her her I was from "the north" rather than "from Tyrone". His woman was from Galway but was never introduced to me as being "from the west" but rather as being "from Galway".
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

There's no point in pretending there's no difference between Irish people north and south of the border, even if one strips out non-GAA types who might have less affinity to their county. Ninety years of partition has to lead to differences, just as there are differences between Ossis and Wessis in Germany. That doesn't mean I don't view those in the North as any less Irish and I abhor the Ian O'Dohertys of this world who do, but we are different. Did I mention we are different?

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on March 09, 2011, 10:58:39 AM
You real Nordies think you have it bad. Try imagining what it's like to be accused of being from "The North" when you're as Mexican as Speedy Gonzales. That happens regularly down here in Langerland.

Do you have a northern accent? Anyone familiar with Tramore will know of Cunninghams chipper. Old Mrs Cunningham was from Meath and to the ignorant southern ear she could have come from anywhere between the Inishowen peninsula and Strangford Lough

liihb

Agreed Deiseach, we definitely are different. I would consider Nordies Irish, but yet I'm not sure I want a united Ireland, if only for selfish fiscal reasons alone. From a all Southerners hate Northerners, I think apathy is a better word, and from playing against Northern teams, and playing football against Nordies in New York, I would have felt way more hated by them, than any feeling I would have
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on March 09, 2011, 11:21:22 AM
There's no point in pretending there's no difference between Irish people north and south of the border, even if one strips out non-GAA types who might have less affinity to their county. Ninety years of partition has to lead to differences, just as there are differences between Ossis and Wessis in Germany. That doesn't mean I don't view those in the North as any less Irish and I abhor the Ian O'Dohertys of this world who do, but we are different. Did I mention we are different?

Bur sure there are differences between people of all parts of the island, largely the basis for our stereotypes. I don't think anyone is saying there's no differences. Sure everyone knows dubs are dubs, Cork are arrogant, Kerry are 'cute', the Midlands are 'the poor mouth' and Cavan is mean, pronounced 'mane'. :D

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 09, 2011, 11:27:30 AM
Bur sure there are differences between people of all parts of the island, largely the basis for our stereotypes. I don't think anyone is saying there's no differences. Sure everyone knows dubs are dubs, Cork are arrogant, Kerry are 'cute', the Midlands are 'the poor mouth' and Cavan is mean, pronounced 'mane'. :D

True, but all other things been equal there are differences because of partition. How could there not be?

Nally Stand

Quote from: liihb on March 09, 2011, 11:26:37 AM
I would consider Nordies Irish, but yet I'm not sure I want a united Ireland, if only for selfish fiscal reasons alone. From a all Southerners hate Northerners, I think apathy is a better word, and from playing against Northern teams, and playing football against Nordies in New York, I would have felt way more hated by them, than any feeling I would have

Maybe it's cos you called them nordies and told them that while it was OK for people to die for your freedom, it wasn't OK for those nordies to have freedom as it cost you a wee bob or two?!

Nally Stand

Quote from: deiseach on March 09, 2011, 11:34:13 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 09, 2011, 11:27:30 AM

True, but all other things been equal there are differences because of partition. How could there not be?

Hence partition is a cancer on Irish mindsets north, south, east and west