Question for southerners

Started by Eamonnca1, March 08, 2011, 10:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

spuds

Quote from: stephenite on March 09, 2011, 01:17:40 AM
Quote from: spuds on March 09, 2011, 01:13:26 AM
Quote from: stephenite on March 09, 2011, 12:24:04 AM
Alright, I'll try this again. I have heard loads of people in the 26 counties have a 'go' at Nordies, I have worked all over the country from Mayo to Dublin to Cork and in-between and anytime there has been a conversation about a staff member from the North it generally involves comments like "who does that fella think he is coming down here" like it was a different country.

I have abused cousins in this regard when the 'free stater' abuse starts, sometimes in jest sometimes not.

The notion that this translates into outright hostility when someone ventures down for a weekend is not exactly the point, but I suspect people are deliberately missing that point. I have been well treated in the Crusaders social club at Seaview whilst attending a Cliftonville game but that does not mean that everyone there is going to vote for a United Ireland.

When discussing National perceptions however it's more interesting to keep an eye on demographics and then look at the media, you can tell an awful lot by what a paper says and it's not totally down to what the owner wants it to say but because they are writing what people agree with, it's a large part of what frames editorial policy. Then have a look at what the most popular paper in the 26 counties are - it says a lot about national perception.

This is obviously only my perception of things, and perhaps I am wrong - maybe a referendum held tomorrow would pass, as obviously 5 years away from home with full access to all media outlets and reading most Irish daily papers along with pretty frequent visits isn't enough for the nouveau urbane bogmen from Ballintubber who split hairs when someone try to engage in a serious debate.

That's all a far cry from "cannot stand nordies". Splitting hairs me hairy hole it was just a ridicolous comment, and don't pat yourself too much on your back with your attempt at serious debate.

It's not a far cry - most Free staters cannot stand Nordies, that is my experience. Do you think a referendum would pass if it was held within 6 months?

*Nice pat on the back*

Shave your hole

Your experience is skewed, my last time saying this but it is an incorrect comment. Have been about this island quite a bit and would venture that Dubs and Cork people are more disliked than 'nordies' (obviously the Rossies top every poll).

The referendum question is a seperate issue entirely, that being said I don't know if it would be passed. If you were to stop the average Joe in the street the answer would be a resounding yes to a united Ireland, would this be transferred to yes votes in the ballot ? I'm not so sure.

I will not shave my hole
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ross4life

Spuds if your trying to wind up myself,Rossfan,spectator etc you must try harder laddie  :-*
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

deiseach

Quote from: cicfada on March 08, 2011, 10:12:57 PM
  :P Just hang in there lads,  ye are outbreeding them,  it is every Nationalists duty to find a quare wan ( catholic of course) and do the nasty! Let nature take it's course then!!!!!

Damn, I'm letting the side down on both counts.

On the original question, I'm with boojangles. The concepts outlined are not mutually exclusive

AZOffaly

Jaysus Stephenite, I think you're on an island of your own here man. I don't think there is widespread 'dislike' of Nordies down in the Republic. Most people I know wouldn't even consciously think of them as different at all, but maybe that's a result of playing with/against them in football.

I do think that the nordies are more confrontational in their debating 'style' than most Mexicans I know. However, I do think that's as a result of being brought up to cling very tightly to your beliefs, and to defend them vigourously. Down here we love a good argument, but are more inclined to allow the other lad space because we like the cut and thrust of debate. The nordies seem to be all about making you change your mind to agree with them.

But that's only a minor point. I think people from the north are treated just like we would treat any other Irish person, and why wouldn't we? That's what they are.

One thing, this notion that they invented football is a bit tiresome alright, but I think that's being addressed at the moment, just like the Clare hurlers thought they were the first ones to stuff a sliothar.

cicfada

az, whatever about the notion of "inventing football", it is great to  see tyrone having that stranglehold over kerry! I mean they are the one name you can trot out to kerrymen and  watch them squirm!! I admire kerry in the football sense but they are such hypocrites at the same time!!" We play football the way it was meant to be played, there is no cynicism in kerry football" etc etc!...PS I don't expect you to agree with me as you're married  into them!! :P

AZOffaly

Quote from: cicfada on March 09, 2011, 09:29:04 AM
az, whatever about the notion of "inventing football", it is great to  see tyrone having that stranglehold over kerry! I mean they are the one name you can trot out to kerrymen and  watch them squirm!! I admire kerry in the football sense but they are such hypocrites at the same time!!" We play football the way it was meant to be played, there is no cynicism in kerry football" etc etc!...PS I don't expect you to agree with me as you're married  into them!! :P

I do use the Tyrone card against Kerry lads the odd time, but I find the Seamus Darby card is much more effective :) I prefer to play my own cards :)

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 09, 2011, 09:32:29 AM

I do use the Tyrone card against Kerry lads the odd time, but I find the Seamus Darby card is much more effective :) I prefer to play my own cards :)

I agree AZ, the Darby jibe is the one that really hurts.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Banana Man

I'll see your tyrone card and raise it with Down, Kerry have never beaten us in championship football ever  ;D

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 09, 2011, 09:36:14 AM

I agree AZ, the Darby jibe is the one that really hurts.  ;)

Yep. He's the 5 (in a row) of Trumps

brokencrossbar1

Lads it all comes down to perspective when you determine when football was invented. Too many scribes posit that it was circa 2002, that is not correct. Football was, as we all know, around for over 100 years before that but the reality is around about 14 years ago, nearly to the day, it reached a heavenly level which will not be surpassed and you can argue you push in the back biffo win or the puke inducing bushes football but we all know that 17/03/97 was when the pinnacle was reached!

cicfada

17/03/11...The day the music died!!! Come on Brigids!!!!!!!!!!

brokencrossbar1

Where have you been hiding cic?  I cheered on Blarney and here you are following the Rossies!

Nally Stand

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 09, 2011, 09:08:14 AM
I think people from the north are treated just like we would treat any other Irish person, and why wouldn't we? That's what they are.

As I've mentioned before though on this site, one thing that irritates the sh1te out of me is the the term "nordies" and talking about "them up north" (Donegal is in the north too, but don't fall into that category somehow) as if we are a different race. We are one and the same. Partition didn't change our race or identity. I am just as Irish now as my Grandparents were before Partition. As I also mentioned before on a different thread, in various travels overseas, when I would meet a lad from Meath or where ever, I would always have referred to him as being from Meath. He on the other hand would mostly refer to be as being from "the north" rather than Tyrone. There is a deeply rooted partitionism which is there even on this sort of subconscious level among a huge portion in my experience.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hardy

Is that similar to the  partitionism that employs terminology such as "Free Staters", "Mexicans", etc?