Question for southerners

Started by Eamonnca1, March 08, 2011, 10:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

southerners?? would you class Donegal south?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

Yup must be just those guys he's talking about  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Nally Stand

Quote from: dillinger on March 08, 2011, 11:16:39 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 08, 2011, 10:04:33 PM
What do you think northern nationalists should do?

A - Keep the pressure on for a united Ireland because Irish self determination is paramount and we in the south will support you all the way.
B - Suck it up, learn to live with unionists, and do what you have to do to reach out to them and make them feel better.

Don't try and kill them. The IRA/ Scum campain has set any prospects of an all Ireland back, who knows, 50 years?

There's always one  ::)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on March 08, 2011, 11:29:02 PM
Yup must be just those guys he's talking about  ;)

What ever about the Northerners, those bloody Southerners are a right shower of pricks and don't start me on those yolks out in the backwater that is the East.

stephenite

Quote from: spuds on March 08, 2011, 11:21:20 PM
Quote from: stephenite on March 08, 2011, 11:05:45 PM
Quote from: spuds on March 08, 2011, 10:51:44 PM
Quote from: stephenite on March 08, 2011, 10:35:25 PM
A United Ireland needs to be voted for the majority of people on the Island, such a referendum would not be passed in the 26 counties at the moment in my honest opinion.

This is not something I would personally agree with but most people down South can't stand the "Nordies" , this wouldn't be as prevalent in GAA circles as it would be in others

Absolute sh1t, where did you get this from ? What planet are you on ?

Planet Real, with both parents and every single relation being from the North there is a widespread conceit from those in the 26 counties towards those in the North and it is becoming more prevalent with every passing generation.
You only have to look at the attitude towards Sinn Fein and Gerry Adams in practically all major media outlets to see this attitude played out. Their antipathy has feck all to do with their left wing ideology and everything to do with the fact that they don't see them as Irish in the same vein as they look at themselves

In fact what f**king planet are you living on that you can't see it?

I'm living on planet earth, the 26 county part of Ireland to be exact. Not one person I know has ever commented or expressed opinion that they cannot stand 'nordies' as you put it. To come out with a strong comment like you stated in your first post is absolutely wrong. The abiding feeling I get that most people here have towards the north is apathy.

Your point about SF and Gerry Adams' dealings with the media is a different matter entirely, most people don't equate 'nordies' with SF. When you get back to my f**king planet talk f**king sense.

You simply don't know what you're talking about so I'll leave it at that, you have the arrogance to state that you're abiding feeling is one of apathy, that not one person you've ever met has commented in a negative manner - everything you've experienced is a national trend?

f**k me a County title and the Ballintubber boys get awful notions about themselves :D

I have personal experience through both my own family and how others have been treated - the people in the South view themselves differently to Nordies and that opinion has been expressed to me on many occasions, I see it reflected in the National media and for feck sake I see it on here everyday. It is my opinon and I stand by it.

I'll put it another way, if there was an announcement in the morning that was to be a referendum on a United Ireland in the 26 counties on the 26th of May, I would expect it to be beaten.

Mike Sheehy

I think the question of Puke football would have to be addressed first. We cannot tolerate its spread to the traditional counties. The game would be ruined.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 08, 2011, 11:38:16 PM
I think the question of Puke football would have to be addressed first. We cannot tolerate its spread to the traditional counties. The game would be ruined.

Mayo is a traditional county and we will take any kind of football we can get. Fancy donating us 5 handy players and the boys from up North can do the same, we will send back whoever doesn't meet the grade.

spuds

Quote from: stephenite on March 08, 2011, 11:37:12 PMYou simply don't know what you're talking about so I'll leave it at that, you have the arrogance to state that you're abiding feeling is one of apathy, that not one person you've ever met has commented in a negative manner - everything you've experienced is a national trend?

f**k me a County title and the Ballintubber boys get awful notions about themselves :D

I have personal experience through both my own family and how others have been treated - the people in the South view themselves differently to Nordies and that opinion has been expressed to me on many occasions, I see it reflected in the National media and for feck sake I see it on here everyday. It is my opinon and I stand by it.

I'll put it another way, if there was an announcement in the morning that was to be a referendum on a United Ireland in the 26 counties on the 26th of May, I would expect it to be beaten.

You are struggling there horseen ! I said that most people seem apathetic not me, I said I never heard anyone say that they "cannot stand nordies"...your point that I pulled you up on. A far cry from never having heard anything negative said. Think that sun has fried your brain cell.

Regarding telling me that "everything you've experienced is a national trend?", well I would be a bit more close to the situation than yourself. Cannot comment on your family experiences without knowing them.  :-X
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Rav67

Quote from: stephenite on March 08, 2011, 10:35:25 PM
A United Ireland needs to be voted for the majority of people on the Island, such a referendum would not be passed in the 26 counties at the moment in my honest opinion.

This is not something I would personally agree with but most people down South can't stand the "Nordies" , this wouldn't be as prevalent in GAA circles as it would be in others

Can't agree with that, have been loads of places in the South and been well-treated everywhere the vast majority of the time.

stephenite

Alright, I'll try this again. I have heard loads of people in the 26 counties have a 'go' at Nordies, I have worked all over the country from Mayo to Dublin to Cork and in-between and anytime there has been a conversation about a staff member from the North it generally involves comments like "who does that fella think he is coming down here" like it was a different country.

I have abused cousins in this regard when the 'free stater' abuse starts, sometimes in jest sometimes not.

The notion that this translates into outright hostility when someone ventures down for a weekend is not exactly the point, but I suspect people are deliberately missing that point. I have been well treated in the Crusaders social club at Seaview whilst attending a Cliftonville game but that does not mean that everyone there is going to vote for a United Ireland.

When discussing National perceptions however it's more interesting to keep an eye on demographics and then look at the media, you can tell an awful lot by what a paper says and it's not totally down to what the owner wants it to say but because they are writing what people agree with, it's a large part of what frames editorial policy. Then have a look at what the most popular paper in the 26 counties are - it says a lot about national perception.

This is obviously only my perception of things, and perhaps I am wrong - maybe a referendum held tomorrow would pass, as obviously 5 years away from home with full access to all media outlets and reading most Irish daily papers along with pretty frequent visits isn't enough for the nouveau urbane bogmen from Ballintubber who split hairs when someone try to engage in a serious debate.

rosnarun

i dont think poll topper Gerry adams is a very good example of freestaters hating nordies.
now I hate nordies as much as the next man  but not as much as rossies or Munster  rugby scum  or union jack waving Dubs for that matter scallion aters from carlow , wickla Goat Suckers, tipp Stonerthrowerss and woolybacks or corkonian Donkeyaters
but i would recognise all of the above as being Irish . and would welcome a 32 county Vote
Democracy only works if the constituency is fairly drawn up without gerrymandering
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

Quote from: rosnarun on March 09, 2011, 12:53:54 AM
i dont think poll topper Gerry adams is a very good example of freestaters hating nordies.

Fair point, but would Gerry Adams have topped the poll in Galway, Mayo, Dublin or Wicklow to name a few?

spuds

Quote from: stephenite on March 09, 2011, 12:24:04 AM
Alright, I'll try this again. I have heard loads of people in the 26 counties have a 'go' at Nordies, I have worked all over the country from Mayo to Dublin to Cork and in-between and anytime there has been a conversation about a staff member from the North it generally involves comments like "who does that fella think he is coming down here" like it was a different country.

I have abused cousins in this regard when the 'free stater' abuse starts, sometimes in jest sometimes not.

The notion that this translates into outright hostility when someone ventures down for a weekend is not exactly the point, but I suspect people are deliberately missing that point. I have been well treated in the Crusaders social club at Seaview whilst attending a Cliftonville game but that does not mean that everyone there is going to vote for a United Ireland.

When discussing National perceptions however it's more interesting to keep an eye on demographics and then look at the media, you can tell an awful lot by what a paper says and it's not totally down to what the owner wants it to say but because they are writing what people agree with, it's a large part of what frames editorial policy. Then have a look at what the most popular paper in the 26 counties are - it says a lot about national perception.

This is obviously only my perception of things, and perhaps I am wrong - maybe a referendum held tomorrow would pass, as obviously 5 years away from home with full access to all media outlets and reading most Irish daily papers along with pretty frequent visits isn't enough for the nouveau urbane bogmen from Ballintubber who split hairs when someone try to engage in a serious debate.

That's all a far cry from "cannot stand nordies". Splitting hairs me hairy hole it was just a ridicolous comment, and don't pat yourself too much on your back with your attempt at serious debate.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

stephenite

Quote from: spuds on March 09, 2011, 01:13:26 AM
Quote from: stephenite on March 09, 2011, 12:24:04 AM

That's all a far cry from "cannot stand nordies". Splitting hairs me hairy hole it was just a ridicolous comment, and don't pat yourself too much on your back with your attempt at serious debate.

It's not a far cry - most Free staters cannot stand Nordies, that is my experience. Do you think a referendum would pass if it was held within 6 months?

*Nice pat on the back*

Shave your hole