The Luke "Ming" Flanagan Thread

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, March 08, 2011, 11:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: deiseach on July 14, 2014, 09:13:22 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 13, 2014, 10:09:45 AM
Remember the last instance of volcanic ash?
The numbers of Polish citizens claiming social welfare payments  dipped dramatically. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why.

Citation needed.

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 13, 2014, 10:09:45 AM
I don't now where Enda Kenny is getting his live register figures from but two taxi men who pick up at Dublin airport tell me that there are at least as many arriving to settle here as there are leaving the country to look for employment elsewhere.

Ah, that kind of 'citation'.
I certainly accept that it was remiss of me to make that statement and assume that all who read it were aware of the incident I was referring to. But the last volcanic eruption happened about four years ago and got such extensive coverage in national media that I felt there was no need to elaborate further. Anything I said has been said before.
With regards to that citation, I'm at a loss to understand you.
In the lead up to the last local elections, Labour claimed that over 90, 000 jobs had been created and over 4,000 (I think) new classrooms had been built.
I tee no evidence to suggest that the former claim is true but I'm certain that the second one was not. I contacted some former colleagues, members of the INTO executive to check and, as expected, I found out that the INTO at least knew nothing about any major building initiative.
If If there had been any significant increase in ether number of classrooms in the second level sector, I would have heard about it. I didn't and so I take both claims to be bogus.
When announcing details of his cabinet reshuffle, Enda was able to look the electorate straight in the eye and proclaim that the numbers on the live register were falling.
I'm saying that he was being disingenuous to put it mildly.
The week beforehand I read a report in the Indo that said, amongst other things, that an  average of 125 people leave this country every week.
IMHO, it's easy to see where Enda got his figures from.
So I asked two individuals who work the airport if there could be that many departing each week and both assured me that the figure was understated. Both also said that there were even larger numbers coming in. Mind you, nobody said they were all illegal arrivals, they could have been above board for that matter. WE were talking about numbers only.
Neither man could be termed a racist by any means I see no reason to doubt what they had to say.
Now, I don't follow the "Dúirt bean liom..." and I tend whenever possible to look for independent verifications of anything I may have doubts about.
Like I said before, I'm not an expert on EU immigration policy but I'm fairly certain that a person seeking political asylum in the EU should ask for same in the country of first arrival and for most non-EU nationals who come here, Ireland certainly isn't the first one they enter.
Every Tuesday morning, a large queue is to be seen on Burgh Quay, stretching around the corner as far as the immigration office. (Not quite sure of the name but that's its function.)
If all of those in the queue each week is a non-EU national the numbers seeking to work here far exceed 125.
Furthermore, if Enda is quoting figures given to him in good faith by the relevant officials, those 125 plus new arrivals should be showing up somewhere on somebody's spreadsheet and I can't put it in any broader context than that.
In parting, I'd agree with all AZOffaly has to say other than the phrase I've bolded. "Anyone who is not a genuine refugee and is not allowed in the country, should not be allowed stay in the country. But throwing phrases like 'most of them are liars' or 'a lot' of refugees are not actual refugees is a pandering to the notion that these people are somehow responsible for what big builders and other chancers have done to the country."
I think I've given sufficient reasons why I disagree.
I'd never blame anyone for trying to earn a few euro to better his or her lot and if they can get work by any means possible, I won't blame them for doing so.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

deiseach

Syferus

deiseach

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on July 15, 2014, 03:01:48 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 15, 2014, 02:39:43 PM
Now, I don't follow the "Dúirt bean liom..."

Yes, you do.

He follows "Dúirt tionáiní tacsaí liom....."

From this he deduces that of the 20.17 million people a year that Dublin Airport handles (http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/about-us/statistics.aspx) two taxi drivers could tell that a figure of 125 people leaving the country every week was understated. Remarkable.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on July 15, 2014, 05:31:00 PM

Yes, you do.

From this he deduces that of the 20.17 million people a year that Dublin Airport handles (http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/about-us/statistics.aspx) two taxi drivers could tell that a figure of 125 people leaving the country every week was understated. Remarkable.
Now, muppet, I know Mayo people never needed facts yet to get involved in a good row as long as they have prejudices, that'll do just fine. At least, that's what's been thrown at me and I see you are cut from the same cloth.
Maybe if you were to go back again and read what I actually wrote, you'll find I said nothing of the sort.
This is what I wrote:
The week beforehand I read a report in the Indo that said, amongst other things, that an  average of 125 people leave this country every week.
And this is what you wrote in reply:
....two taxi drivers could tell that a figure of 125 people leaving the country every week was understated. Remarkable.

That my good man is indeed remarkable and by that I'm referring to your interpretation of what I wrote.

Lar Naparka

Yes, you do.

I'm a bit disappointed deiseach. I had expected more from you than sarcasm and cryptic one-liners.
I think I've given reasons for anything I had to say and that's all I can do. If I'm wrong, then by all means show me where I went wrong.
I asked two taxi drivers if there were 125 people leaving the country each week.
The figure had come from an Indo article and I was genuinely curious. No racist intent whatsoever.
I know both men and I see no reason why either should lie to me and I was surprised when ther first one I spoke to said there were    even more coming in.Two things to note here.
I referred to inward bound passengers and the question of status never arose. There was no mention of illegality of any sort by them or me.
muppet was kind enough to point out that 20.7 million people use Dublin Airport each year and yet he thinks it's remarkable that two drivers who work there and who presumably talk to their colleagues would not be able to spot oif 125 or more leave the country each week. Add in the fact that Dublin Airport is only one of at least a half dozen points of departure and he still finds it remarkable that only 125 or less are leaving.
However, I also mentioned the queues to be seen on Burgh Quay every Tuesday morning and from the few times I've seen them there were more ,  lots more,than 125 on each occasion. I believe that all there went to register and obtain work permits after entering the country.
All I have suggested is that there are more entering the country than are leaving it and I don't know what you or muppet are inferring but that's a matter for you both.

Rossfan

What has all this to do with poor oul Mingín?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 15, 2014, 07:26:00 PM

Yes, you do.

Now, muppet, I know Mayo people never needed facts yet to get involved in a good row as long as they have prejudices, that'll do just fine. At least, that's what's been thrown at me and I see you are cut from the same cloth.
Maybe if you were to go back again and read what I actually wrote, you'll find I said nothing of the sort.
This is what I wrote:
....two taxi drivers could tell that a figure of 125 people leaving the country every week was understated. Remarkable.

That my good man is indeed remarkable and by that I'm referring to your interpretation of what I wrote.

This is what you wrote Lar

QuoteThe week beforehand I read a report in the Indo that said, amongst other things, that an  average of 125 people leave this country every week.
So I asked two individuals who work the airport if there could be that many departing each week and both assured me that the figure was understated.

What do the two individuals who work at the airport do?
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on July 15, 2014, 10:35:44 PM

Yes, you do.

This is what I wrote:

QuoteThe week beforehand I read a report in the Indo that said, amongst other things, that an  average of 125 people leave this country every week.
So I asked two individuals who work the airport if there could be that many departing each week and both assured me that the figure was understated.

Ask arrivals at Dublin Airport if they are illegal immigrants obviously. It's a cushy Civil Service job.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on July 15, 2014, 10:52:36 PM

Yes, you do.

This is what I wrote:

Ask arrivals at Dublin Airport if they are illegal immigrants obviously. It's a cushy Civil Service job.

That job is done by Gárdaí.
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on July 15, 2014, 11:05:27 PM

That job is done by Gárdaí.

Sadly enough I've watched the cops just wave through people without checking passports on entry. If they were doing their job properly they would be a little more meticulous.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

ludermor

In the lead up to the last local elections, Labour claimed that over 90, 000 jobs had been created and over 4,000 (I think) new classrooms had been built.
I tee no evidence to suggest that the former claim is true but I'm certain that the second one was not. I contacted some former colleagues, members of the INTO executive to check and, as expected, I found out that the INTO at least knew nothing about any major building initiative.
If If there had been any significant increase in ether number of classrooms in the second level sector, I would have heard about it. I didn't and so I take both claims to be bogus.

There has been 3 phases completed of the Schools PPP Programme ( out of 5), i don't know how many rooms have been built but i remember something about the scheme catering for 20,000 pupils ( a taxi man must have told me) . I would consider 27 schools to be a major building initiative .

Lar Naparka

Yes, you do.

This is what I wrote:

Why, they spend their effin' time bringing passengers to and from the airport and when not actively engage din their work, they pass the time talking to other taxi drivers and/or others who work there. Maybe they spend time scratching their butts or reading page three of the Star or whatever people with time on their hands will do.
For me, there's a subtle difference between working in the airport and working at the airport.
In any case, what's the story with you and the other cross oul' devil who has thrown a hissy fit, as the inimitable rosnarun might put it?
I don't know if either of you think the figure of 125 is too high, too low or just about right-a case of the three bears' porridge in a modern setting.
Given that the airport is only one of a considerable number of departure/entry points the certainty is that whatever my friends may feel, the figure of 125 is understated.
Anyway, what's the big deal with the actual number of people departing?
Of far more interest to me is the numbers who are coming in.
Neither you nor my other oul' buddy has picked up on hat I have had to say about the queues outside the INIS offices on Burgh Quay.
ASFAIK, these are non-EEA nationals in the Dublin area, queuing to register their presence and to obtain one of a variety of visas. I've seen a lot more than 125 in those queues. Furthermore, you can't discount the numbers who enter the country illegally or those who seek visas/work permits elsewhere.
And, ffs, don't ask me to prove that there are those who enter this country without registering!
It's what the Irish have been doing in the US for decades.
Lookit, as JH might say, I don't intend spending the rest of my youth trading irrelevancies . I don't know what's rattling your cage and the same goes for the quare fella as well. Maybe either or both of you would tell me why you think two taxi drivers who work the airport rank should know less than either of you about the numbers passing through?

PS, I have lots of sympathy for the poor devils who come here, desperate for employment.
Irish people.. some of my relations included, have had to do the same elsewhere. However, that's not the point at issue. 
PPS. You realise I hope that nothing personal is intended here. Same goes for you-know-who. In the spirit of conventional debating, I've set my stall and I'll defend my point of view.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ludermor on July 16, 2014, 08:36:06 AM

There has been 3 phases completed of the Schools PPP Programme ( out of 5), i don't know how many rooms have been built but i remember something about the scheme catering for 20,000 pupils ( a taxi man must have told me) . I would consider 27 schools to be a major building initiative .
Even if 27 schools have been built, that's a long, long way short of 4,000 classrooms which is the point I've been stressing.
Maybe your taxi driver might tell you where those schools have been built next time you talk to him. That's more than was built in any of the Celtic Tiger years.