Heating oil - How much do you burn?

Started by woy the clown, March 07, 2011, 01:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woy the clown

My oil has just run out  ???

The last fill of oil i got was 15th Jan 900 lts, 7 fecking weeks ago.

Was wondering how this compares to everyone else? i know there are variables to be allowed for but in general does this not sound alot.

isourboydownyet

i spend a serious amount on oil,from jan 10 to jan 11 i spent £2150.
i just recently changed my boiler to a condensing boiler so hopefully that will reduce the amount i put in.

5 Sams

Quote from: isourboydownyet on March 07, 2011, 01:46:46 PM
i just recently changed my boiler to a condensing boiler so hopefully that will reduce the amount i put in.

That sounds about right..... I got thorough about £300 worth since mid December.
The Aristocrat Years

highorlow

My Gas bill for the 2 mths mid-Nov to mid Jan was 600.

Is it any wonder Ming got elected............
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

nrico2006

I bought a new house on the 7th January, put 300 litres in the tank (which was empty) and still going.  The heating is on for about 2 hours in the morning, and programmed from 5 to ten in the evening but I would have turned it off after two hours most evenings.

Last week I changed the timer though.  The water was previously heated for an hour in the morning and hour in the evening too.  I have changed as I only need an hour of water heated in the morning as it does the whole day, and only need the heating on for an hour in the morning and hour in the evening too.

The room thermostats obviously play a major role in how long it will last, as well as how long you have the heating on per day.  I dunno how anyone could sustain to keep the heating on the majority of the day, and I know ones that do.  It helps that I light the fire every night now so don't need the heating on apart from that one hour.

The previous house I was in cost me a fortune, 300 litres would barley last 2 or 3 weeks.  There was a while draft through the hall and into the living room, and the room thermostat was in the hall therefore the heating never kicked off at the desired temperature and once I turned the heating off the house was freezing within 20 minutes.  Glad I got out of that house.

All in all, 900 litres seems to be way too much to have burnt in such a short time, maybe the burner needs serviced and what temperature is your room thermostats at?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ross4life

About 2500 a year have to clean the boiler sometime soon.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Boycey

Mine seems to run on fresh air, not that I'm complaining like. This time last year I bought 1000 litres (around €500 at the time :o). Even allowing for the fact that it doesn't be on in the summer much all I've put in it since is 4 drums full twice at €80 a time and a couple of hundred euros worth last week.

offtheground

How much did it cost you to change to a condensing boiler? How much more efficient did they tell you it would be??

seafoid

i wonder how Ireland is going to be heated in winter when the oil runs out. 

Banana Man

Quote from: seafoid on March 07, 2011, 02:20:15 PM
i wonder how Ireland is going to be heated in winter when the oil runs out.

back to the turf? oh wait that's right it's outlawed now too

isourboydownyet

Quote from: offtheground on March 07, 2011, 02:19:44 PM

How much did it cost you to change to a condensing boiler? How much more efficient did they tell you it would be??

my neighbour and cousin installs them so i got mates rates but i think around £1200 should get one fitted,my last boiler was a serious brute which my cousin said would heat a school so i expect it to be a hell of alot more efficient,apparently i should make a saving of about a 1/3 although most house boilers may not be as much as this as like i said my old one was far to big (jets etc).

Tony Baloney

A full tank (2500 litres) does me a year.

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 07, 2011, 04:48:58 PM

I'd say 1200 to 1500 would do me in the year.

The solar panel will take care of the hot water from april to september with any other heating requirements fulfilled by the stove burning logs (with back boiler) which i bought three tonne of for just under £150.

woy the clown

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 07, 2011, 02:00:22 PM
I bought a new house on the 7th January, put 300 litres in the tank (which was empty) and still going.  The heating is on for about 2 hours in the morning, and programmed from 5 to ten in the evening but I would have turned it off after two hours most evenings.

Last week I changed the timer though.  The water was previously heated for an hour in the morning and hour in the evening too.  I have changed as I only need an hour of water heated in the morning as it does the whole day, and only need the heating on for an hour in the morning and hour in the evening too.

The room thermostats obviously play a major role in how long it will last, as well as how long you have the heating on per day.  I dunno how anyone could sustain to keep the heating on the majority of the day, and I know ones that do.  It helps that I light the fire every night now so don't need the heating on apart from that one hour.

The previous house I was in cost me a fortune, 300 litres would barley last 2 or 3 weeks.  There was a while draft through the hall and into the living room, and the room thermostat was in the hall therefore the heating never kicked off at the desired temperature and once I turned the heating off the house was freezing within 20 minutes.  Glad I got out of that house.

All in all, 900 litres seems to be way too much to have burnt in such a short time, maybe the burner needs serviced and what temperature is your room thermostats at?
i have underfloor heating which i have only now started to turn on a 5 in the morn til bout 9 in the morn, also i've turned down the burner to its lowest settings (55) The thermostats are at about 20 - 25. Plus the boys i bought the last oil would'nt have the best rep

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on March 07, 2011, 04:54:09 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 07, 2011, 04:48:58 PM

I'd say 1200 to 1500 would do me in the year.

The solar panel will take care of the hot water from april to september with any other heating requirements fulfilled by the stove burning logs (with back boiler) which i bought three tonne of for just under £150.
The missus informs me 2000 did us 13 months. We have a wood burner in the living room and a free supply of seasoned wood from the father in law which I don't like to rip the arse out of otherwise I'd be halving the oil bill!