LAOIS V KILDARE 13TH MARCH 2011 NEWBRIDGE

Started by the old vet, March 06, 2011, 07:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the old vet

best of friends     in the blue corner McNULTY  &  in the white corner McGEENEY

bring on the game. any comments?

Donnellys Hollow

Laois are looking like genuine All-Ireland contendors. Kildare are in disarray and are looking odds-on to be relegated to Div 3.

Queens County by 10+
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

laoislad

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 06, 2011, 11:01:48 PM
Laois are looking like genuine All-Ireland contendors. Kildare are in disarray and are looking odds-on to be relegated to Div 3.

Queens County by 10+
:D

Kildare by 5+ IMO.
The sooner our luck runs out the better as it will make the defeat by Longford in the first round of the Championship or if they happen to scrape a win against Longford the hammering on the cards v Dublin in the next round easier to take.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Dinny Breen

The tight Newbridge ground will suit neither side but Laois have some momenteum and seem to be enjoying their football again.

It will be tight and the winners here should go on for promotion. Team selection will tell us how serious Kildare are taking the league but I think no matter Laois will edge it by 2/3 points.

Alas can't make it

#newbridgeornowhere

laoislad

Laois football team to face Kildare

1.Michael Nolan
2.Robert Kehoe
3.Kevin Meaney
4.Denis Booth
5.Darren Strong
6.Shane Julian
7.Conor Boyle
8.Pauric Clancy
9.John O'Loughlin
10,Colm Begley
11.Daithi Carroll
12.Niall Donoher
13.Ross Munnelly
14.Billy Sheehan
15.Michael John Tierney
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

The CAPS sure makes this thread stand out from the rest  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Donnellys Hollow

Morgan Flats, Tomás Connor and Ciarán Fitz all returned to training this week. I doubt any of them will start on Sunday but all three would be good options on the bench. O'Flaherty has been sorely missed and Tomás Connor's power in the air would be a welcome addition at midfield where we have struggled. Presumably Daryl Flynn will come straight back in after his suspension. His clash with Clancy will be interesting.

I hope Conor Brophy gets a run in the corner. He was flying in the Sigerson last weekend and Tommy O'Neill is not a corner-back. Hopefully Jimmers and Rob Kelly will make their first starts of the year in the forward line. Wouldn't surprise me to see Smith dropped to the bench. Looking forward to this match now. Should be good banter on the terraces on Sunday.

goal 10

Having doubths about Donie Kingston he lacks pace,to be a top footballer.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 11, 2011, 02:06:17 PM
Where's Donie Kingston?
QuoteNot fit. Played for the under 21's recently and was miles off the pace. Conor Boyle is now also missing tomorrow off the named team with a broken finger. Kildare by 6+.  ;D
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Dinny Breen

So Donie isn't fit, very surprising.

Pace isn't everything, he's a very big skillful boy. If you Laois boys don't like him he can always return to his roots in Athy  ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Kildare 1-13 Laois 1-11

Improved display from Kildare but still not firing on all cylinders. I'd happily have taken the result when I seen the starting 15 though with neither Doyle or Callaghan playing.

Great to have Daryl Flynn back and he made a big difference. Strange to see him starting in the full-forward line and it was only when he went out to midfield and Lynch was taken off that we got a foothold around the middle. Tierney and Munnelly caused problems in the first half but they were starved of supply in the second half due to Kildare getting the upper hand at midfield and the strong breeze in their favour.

Ollie Lyons struggled early on but he really came into the match in the second half. Chalky had a great game and Mick Foley was very solid again. Forwards were in and out. Cribbin made some good runs but kicked some bad wides. O'Flaherty kicked two great frees to win the match but was a peripheral figure for much of the 70 minutes. Roli got through a lot of ball but the switch with Paudie out to midfield probably should have happened earlier. Rob Kelly kicked a few nice scores. Jimmers looked very rusty and was lucky with the goal - should have given it to McGrillen on the overlap who would have had an easier finish.

Good to bring a halt to the neighbour's gallop but I still get the impression that Kildare aren't that bothered with the league.

goal 10

Same old story with laois.

[1]   I lost count of the balls we lost at midfield from our own kick out.

[2]   When we get a free we are too slow to find a loose player and then we end just up kicking it anywhere.

[3]   kildare get a 45  our lads stand back,  he kick the ball to a loose player and it over the bar,   and our lads look on.

[4]   Every time kildare kick a high ball into our fullback line we were in trouble to see laois players letting the ball fall out
       of there hands and the kildare lads just waiting to pick up the ball and score

would the management please get it right before next saturday night's game against tyrone.