Prayers and praying.......

Started by PadraicHenryPearse, March 04, 2011, 03:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiden1

Please God if you just let me die quickly or get over this hangover I promise never to drink again.  I've used that a few times ...

I once sat up 1/2 the night praying that Grease Paint would win the national when I was a wee lad, I lost faith a bit when it came second and I had not put my 50p on each way.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Hardy

Quote from: ziggysego on March 04, 2011, 02:14:08 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on March 04, 2011, 01:04:38 PM
freaky...my deepest post ever was actually my 666th post.... :o

The number of the beast is 616.

Nobody escapes the cutbacks.

unitedireland

V. The Angel of the Lord brought news to Mary,
R. And she conceived by the Holy Spirit.

V. Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.

R. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

V. Behold the servant of the Lord;
R. Let it be to me according to your word.

V. Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.
R. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

V. And the Word was made human,
R. And lived among us.

V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray.

We pray You, Lord, pour Your grace into our hearts that as we have known through the message of an angel, that Your Son, Jesus Christ, became human, so by His cross + and suffering we may be brought to the glory of His rising again, through the same Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

May God's help be with us always, and may the souls of those who + died in faith, through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen.

Hardy

Hail Mary, full of grace
Manhattan Boy to win the race.

Our Father, who art in Heaven,
Manhattan Boy at 100/7.

This is the voice of the Holy Ghost -
Manhattan Boy was left at the post.

The Iceman

I pray everyday, several times a day. I'd pray in the morning and maybe say a rosary if I was driving a good distance. Id pray before every meal no matter where I am and I say prayers with my Son every night putting him to bed.
We'd usually do a ninety day Novena once or twice a year for different intentions too.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Groucho

Normally pray 5 times a day....but the sun is barely seen in this country ;)

In the name of Allah,
the beneficent, the merciful.
Praise be to the Lord of the
Universe who has created us and
made us into tribes and nations
That we may know each other, not that
we may despise each other.
If the enemy incline towards peace, do
thou also incline towards peace, and
trust God, for the Lord is the one that
heareth and knoweth all things.
And the servants of God,
Most gracious are those who walk on
the Earth in humility, and when we
address them, we say "PEACE."
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

sammymaguire

Surely no harm in a moment of reflection in our busy lives in whatever shape or form?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ziggysego on March 04, 2011, 10:03:25 AM
When I say I'll pray, I do. I say a Hail Mary and an Our Father, whilst keeping the subject of the prayer in my mind.
God must get sick listening to the same thing over and over and over again. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Iceman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 04, 2011, 07:12:57 PM
When I say I'll pray, I do. I say a Hail Mary and an Our Father, whilst keeping the subject of the prayer in my mind.
The Our Father is actually Jesus' own instructions on how to pray. He taught the Our Father and prefaced it with "when you pray, pray like this....."
Can't go wrong there....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Cold tea

Quote from: The Iceman on March 04, 2011, 07:17:36 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 04, 2011, 07:12:57 PM
The Our Father is actually Jesus' own instructions on how to pray. He taught the Our Father and prefaced it with "when you pray, pray like this....."
Can't go wrong there....

How do you know this?

seafoid

The prayer "Jesus Mary and Joseph, assist me now and in my last agony" always makes me smile.
It is so f**king miserable, like lunch on Good Friday sometime in the 1950s. 

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Maiden1 on March 04, 2011, 02:23:52 PM
Please God if you just let me die quickly or get over this hangover I promise never to drink again.  I've used that a few times ...

I once sat up 1/2 the night praying that Grease Paint would win the national when I was a wee lad, I lost faith a bit when it came second and I had not put my 50p on each way.

Jesus!* I remember putting money on the same horse.

On the subject, I'm not religious and I don't believe in the power of prayer other than as some sort of form of meditation. It might have some effect in calming people down and making them feel peaceful, but as a means of influencing outside events, forget it. You could say a prayer for peace in Iraq right now, but if you turned on the news later I can guarantee you'll find a story about another suicide bomb or another soldier killed by an IED. Experiments have been done with third party prayers and they have been found to make no statistical difference in outcomes.

*This is not a prayer.

ONeill

I also put money on that horse several times.

I used to pray every night until about 6 months ago when I realised I was praying out of fear/superstition.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on March 04, 2011, 10:52:35 PM
I also put money on that horse several times.

I used to pray every night until about 6 months ago when I realised I was praying out of fear/superstition.
Stopped praying or stopped believing?

ONeill

Stopped praying. As for believing, I'm coming around to the belated conclusion that it makes absolute no sense at all to anyone who can think logically.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.