Any GAA wikipedians out there?

Started by Eamonnca1, March 01, 2011, 10:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Just curious, does anybody here do any editing on the GAA articles on wikipedia?  I've been doing it for a while. Wiki has become a wealth of info about Gaelic games, a lot of it more informative than www.gaa.ie.

I remember seeing a news report one time about some competition called the Waterford Crystal Cup.  I tried looking up the GAA's website to find out what this competition was and couldn't find anything, and then I realised there's a lot of competitions with names like that and it's very hard to figure out what they are since the press releases never explain it, it's like you're expected to know.  So I started a page called List of GAA competitions to explain what they all are and before long other people started adding to it and it's fairly complete now. Comes in handy now any time there's a report in the news and you didn't happen to know what the competition was. 

Amazing what you can do when you get enough people collaborating on stuff like that.

Maguire01

You need to make the Tommy Murphy Cup reference past tense.

Eamonnca1

Maguire01

Very efficient.  :P

Wikipedia is a great resource to be fair. And you're right - it's poor that gaa.ie wouldn't have that kind of information on their site.

Eamonnca1

Well in fairness gaa.ie only has a handful of people working on it, whereas wiki has thousands of editors.  Still, the people maintaining gaa.ie could probably learn a lot from wikipedia.

I've often thought that gaa.ie could be improved with a worldwide volunteer drive using wikimedia.  They could install wikimedia somewhere and get a load of GAA volunteers from around the world to collaborate on content that makes its way onto gaa.ie once it's deemed good enough by a peer review process.  The thing about wikipedia is that it has to adhere to NPOV, whereas a dedicated wikimedia site edited by GAA people wouldn't have that constraint and would put a positive spin on everything and edit from a marketing point of view.

Radda bout yeee

Fair play to ye - Great list there - Alot of effort i'm sure!

Maiden1

You didn't do the original one on Cyril Farrell on Wikipedia? it's been edited since

Cyril Farrell (Irish:Cyril Ó Fearghail) (born 1950) is a former Irish sportsperson. He was the manager of the Galway senior hurling team in the 1980s and 1990s. He comes from the Tommy Larkins hurling club in Woodford/Ballinakill. He regularly appears a hurling pundit on RTÉ's The Sunday Game.

Managerial career: Look Ger, Cyril Farrell'd be seen as one of the best hurling managers of the modern era. From an early age he would have had a great interest in the coaching side of the game as such, like he was there training the Galway minors and he only a young fella at twenty-three, a real case of Mozart in the fireplace. You can see there, young Farrell'd be at this kind of thing for years. no surprise then and he winning anUnder 21 All-Ireland with Galway in 1978. Two years later then and BANG! Galway has it's first senior All-Ireland since 1923. What more do you want Ger, but sure he was after opening the floodgates of the Yangtze as such, and two more senior All-Ireland victories as well as two National Hurling League titles between 1985 and 1990 was like throwing nuts to a monkey for young Farrell. Thats championship for you Ger.

Punditry
Young Farrell then comes onto The Sunday Game, a real Cinderella under the the christmas tree moment for Michael Lyster and the boys, Cyril's there though and he knows this, he knows Offaly have a good underage team that's coming through, Tomás Mulcahy's agitated, kind of dancing around the flames, coming out with the same old line about Munster hurling. Ball thrown in, full forward bats the ball down, lovely flick BANG! back of the net. Cork are having a bit of run like, Offaly, always the bridesmaids, never the brides as such Ger, but watch here, direct ball from the centre-half back, goalie doesn't deal with it, BANG, goal, game on now Ger, it's in the melting pot. Look, Offaly have been at this comeback gig for years, Cork won't be happy, but that's championship for you. As such.

Or this 1 on Ger Canning

Born in Cork on August 1, 1951. Ger Canning was a secondary school teacher at South Presentation school in Cork City when he began his broadcasting career with Cork Local Radio in 1978[1].

Two years later in 1980 he joined the national broadcaster, Radio Telefís Éireann, as a member of the station's sports department. As a fluent Irish-speaker his first All-Ireland final commentary was on RTÉ 2 in 1981, as the station then had a policy of using the two channels for commentaries in both English and Irish. After Michael O'Hehir's retirement due to ill-health in 1985, Canning became the main Gaelic Athletic Association commentator on RTÉ television. Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh took over O'Hehir's duties as a radio commentator. To date Canning has broadcast nearly 50 All-Ireland finals (including three in Irish).

Canning has worked on many sporting events for RTÉ, including:

* Soccer including 5 World Cups
    * 5 Olympic Games
    * Basketball
    * International rules football
    * Greyhound Racing

Tony Fearon once tried to eat Ger Canning at an all you can eat buffet in the Citywest Hotel after the 2003 All Ireland Football Final.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Maiden1 on March 02, 2011, 12:24:31 PM
You didn't do the original one on Cyril Farrell on Wikipedia? it's been edited since

Not guilty. I remember that though, funny!