Paddy O'Rourke Out!

Started by tevez, February 28, 2011, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: Orangemac on July 01, 2012, 10:20:33 PM
No one doubts Paddy O'Rourke did his best and he seems like a decent sort of fella but he was never the right man for the job.

Most Armagh supporters were shocked upon hearing of his appointment initially but despite the occasional good result/performance it was usually followed by a poor one.
Who will take over now? Will Paul Grimley get the job?

Most supporters are realistic to know that Armagh are a long way off the top but we have the best club team in Ireland and there have been good minor treams over the last 4 years (although this hasn't followed through to U21) so there is no doubt we have underacheived the last few years.

Heaven and earth should be moved to get TonyMcEntee in. He may have his sights set on 3 in a row but it is worth trying. Ive said it before there are not better players in Donegal than Armagh, it is just that they have a system and style of play that comes from temanager that is effective.

Case in point, here is the Donegal team hammered by Armagh 2 years ago. 11 players started yesterdays game v Tyrone.

Donegal – P Durcan, P McGrath, N McGee, K Lacey, M Maguire, B Dunnion, F McGlynn, N Gallagher (0-1), K Cassidy, M McHugh (0-1), R Kavanagh, D Walsh, C McFadden (0-1), M Murphy (0-7, 4f), C Dunne. Subs – E Wade for McGrath, E McGee for Maguire, C Toye for Dunne, A Hanlon (0-1) for McFadden
[/b]

Exactly.  Where do people think these great Donegal footballers sprung from the past 2 years?  It's  very lazy to say we haven't the playing resources.

Tony Mc or someone of that ilk with fresh ideas and who can get the players playing to a style of play and with a purpose.

That's just, like your opinion man.

dundrumite

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 01, 2012, 04:33:43 PM
come home agent paddy. your work is done!! ;) :)

I love working out who is who  ;)

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: dundrumite on July 01, 2012, 10:33:59 PM

when the f**k is agent grimley going to be pulled?
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

dundrumite

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on July 01, 2012, 10:52:16 PM
Quote from: dundrumite on July 01, 2012, 10:33:59 PM

when the f**k is agent grimley going to be pulled?

I mean who a poster is..

winsamsoon

What is everyone going on about we need this manager to get a team playing a certain way. Lads the game is complicated, we have a hell of a lot of super footballers in Armagh at club level. It's the transition for club to county where it's all going wrong. We have a crop oh young players there with loads of ability but they are getting maybe a 20 min run out in a national league game and some are never seen again and are set on the bench. They are also restricted from playing club football for weeks on end. A managers should be appointed to get players playing certain ways r styles. The manager should come in , look what's available through a series of trials that are open and transparent. These trials should last 5 or 6 weeks and all should attend on an even foot. The selectors and manager then selects his panel and coaches these players and encourages them to grow and play to their strengths. An insider is needed, one that has played and is well intouch with grassroots club players. O'Rourkes mistake was that he came in and went with too many of the established players, he never really sought players and from someone that has witnessed and played against these lads the current squad r by no means the best footballers in the county. Big strong men but IMO a proper mix of strength, skill and raw ability is what we need. Must also be stressed though that POR is a GAA man through and through and he did infect do what he felt was his best. So for that he deserves respect and in many ways thanks.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

T Fearon

Bummer,I'm already in negotiations for the Spurs job.It's between me and AVB.Am going to present your very informative analysis of my achievements etc to Daniel Levy,that should swing it, ;D

naka

I hope that we can persuade someone like mc entee to take charge, as a south Armagh man I actually think that cross like to foster the seige mentality that the rest of the county is against them, this is untrue, i am proud to have played for my club but I love my county dearly and for me 2002 stands up there with the birth of my kids as one of the happiest days of my life.
That is why some of us don't buy in to hoping cross win the andy merrigan each year,
It doesn't help the county . we need  themfor Armagh  playing in February and march each year for the county.

Applesisapples

Until someone addresses what Oisin calls "the Cross thing", we will continue to struggle. My analogy with Spain earlier was that you don't necessarily need players from a huge spread of Clubs to make a successful County Team. It beggars belief that only Jamie Clarke was named in the team for yesterday's match. I'm not from Cross but it also appears to me that whilst other players are given extended runs in the team to make an impression, Cross players such as Stephen and Tony Kernan have been put in and expected to produce straight away. Is this coming from the County Board or from clubs? Accepted that Cross don't sometimes indear themselves by not making players available in times of need, but there is not one club in the county that wouldn't put their own interests first. The difference is that in the case of most County panelists they are the best player(s) in their club and can dictate to the club to a degree. It would be harder to nail down a place in the Cross first 15 at the moment, than in the County 15. Isn't it also Ironic that hurling with 8 clubs and a fraction of the investment can produce successful teams and demonstrate progress, but that's another argument.

Goats Do Shave

Jonny Hanratty started yesterday. James Morgan & Aaron Kernan would likely have started, but for injury. Tony Kernan come on.

How many other Cross men would've started?

Paul Hearty should still be #1, but he's retired.
Paul Kernan would be a back up full back IMO - if fit.
Paul McKeown would be a back up corner back, if he chose to make himself available.
David McKenna was my big hope for commanding midfielder (fitness seems to have hampered his selection/commitment)
Aaron Cunningham was scathing yesterday on twitter IMO should be a panelist, eventially taking a half forward position... not immediately!
Franny Hanratty was on the panel - wouldn't start though?
Stephen Kernan chose not to be involved. - if was still involved over the years, he'd be #11

mackers

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on July 02, 2012, 10:58:52 AM
Jonny Hanratty started yesterday. James Morgan & Aaron Kernan would likely have started, but for injury. Tony Kernan come on.

Paul Hearty should still be #1, but he's retired.
Paul Kernan would be a back up full back IMO - if fit.
Paul McKeown would be a back up corner back, if he chose to make himself available.
David McKenna was my big hope for commanding midfielder (fitness seems to have hampered his selection/commitment)
Aaron Cunningham was scathing yesterday on twitter IMO should be a panelist, eventially taking a half forward position... not immediately!
Franny Hanratty was on the panel - wouldn't start though?
Stephen Kernan chose not to be involved. - if was still involved over the years, he'd be #11
The "Cross thing" is a complete red herring IMHO unless somebody else has better information than me.  The nailed on class acts from Cross are getting on.....no problem.  We then have a list of excellent club players who have not had the opportunity to prove themselves due to the clash in the spring between the league and the final throes of the AI club championship.  What do they want the county management to do?  Is Aaron Cunningham so much better than Anto Duffy that he can start tweeting about it?  The very fact that he takes to twitter to put the boot in doesn't reflect well on him. I think he needs several league matches to prove himself better.  That opportunity is not there. The same argument is there with James Morgan....
Other than that I agree with all of the above.....Franny Hanratty didn't start a big percentage of Cross's run to the AI this year....how can he be put forward as an alternative in the county set up?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

fitzroyalty

Think some of the Cross boys take the siege mentality thing too far. In an ideal world there would have been more of them involved yesterday but I don't really think anyone has been over looked.
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on July 02, 2012, 10:58:52 AM

Paul Hearty should still be #1, but he's retired. Forget about him.
Paul Kernan would be a back up full back IMO - if fit. Agree.
Paul McKeown would be a back up corner back, if he chose to make himself available. Forget about him, seemingly not interested.
David McKenna was my big hope for commanding midfielder (fitness seems to have hampered his selection/commitment) Struggle to see what Titch can offer at IC level, that other existing panelists don't already offer? 
Aaron Cunningham was scathing yesterday on twitter IMO should be a panelist, eventially taking a half forward position... not immediately! Jury still out on him IMO. Again another player that certainly wouldn't look out of place on the panel but what else does he offer that say A Duffy, Forker etc don't already have? Apart from being unavailable for preseason and league.
Franny Hanratty was on the panel - wouldn't start though? Not IC standard IMO.
Stephen Kernan chose not to be involved. - if was still involved over the years, he'd be #11 Agree, hopefully Armagh CB choose a management team that will not only have boys like this available and interested, but also willing to run through brick walls.

fitzroyalty

Beat me to it Mackers. There's lads like Nippy Swift and Stefan Forker that are miles ahead of some of the boys on the county panel as well as some of those 'overlooked' Cross lads.

IMO there are lads that aren't even in the top 3 players in their club on the county panel. That can't be right!

Applesisapples

So are we saying there is no Cross thing? Granted Cunningham would have been better of not tweeting, but surely any County setup worth its salt would work with a successful club team to the benefit of all. Granted also Cross have their part to play here too. Question: did Stephen Kernan opt out? I had heard he wasn't asked in the first place.

mackers

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 02, 2012, 12:27:42 PM
So are we saying there is no Cross thing? Granted Cunningham would have been better of not tweeting, but surely any County setup worth its salt would work with a successful club team to the benefit of all. Granted also Cross have their part to play here too. Question: did Stephen Kernan opt out? I had heard he wasn't asked in the first place.
Assuming Cross win the Ulster title next year what do you suggest that the next county manager does?  Does he force the Cross players to play league games? Tony McEntee ain't going to stand for that. Does he parachute untried players into a championship team? POR can be questioned over many things but his hands were tied on this issue.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Applesisapples

The answer is in my post...co operation?