implications of the election for the 6 counties

Started by randomtask, February 26, 2011, 10:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

at the end of may 'mayo' the stoops will cease to exist
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Tony Baloney

Quote from: sammymaguire on February 26, 2011, 11:48:52 PM
I can only see this election being a knee jerk reaction from FF to the obvious choose FG, not peoples' admiration of FG or Enda Kenny.... He is on a hiding to nothing at least Sinn Fein are not in the firing line this time around so should be in a very strong position in 4-5 years time
I don't think Sinn Feins showing is an anomaly. They've got their feet under the table now and I think they'll continue to build on it. By next election Adams will be gone as the head honcho and a southern will take over signalling their intentions as a serious all Ireland player.

lawnseed

i hope that these results in the 26, dont put the shite up the loyalists notice how adams stressed 'our friends in the north' i still think sinn fein are spread too thin between the north and south unless they get their team strenghtened they will continue to be also rans

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lawnseed on February 27, 2011, 12:08:20 AM
i hope that these results in the 26, dont put the shite up the loyalists notice how adams stressed 'our friends in the north' i still think sinn fein are spread too thin between the north and south unless they get their team strenghtened they will continue to be also rans

Don't worry Lawnseed, we will take 4 or 5 of your new seats @ Election 2016  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Ulick

Don't underestimate the big payday which will come for SF with this result. As well as the extra funding coming from the state, there will be the extra income from the new TDs going back to the Party Then there will be the speaking rights in the Dáil, access to the media etc... All that will be used to build capacity  and infrastructure around the country in order to get the "build-on" constituencies next time out. It should actually be very hard for SF to f**k-up this opportunity over the next few of years.

lawnseed

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 27, 2011, 12:26:47 AM

do you honestly think that edna can stick to the script for five years ff are gone. fg are next 2 years max. its not gonna work. labour will cave when the pressure of the cuts come to bear. 25 artics of 50euro notes that what 100 billion euro looks like. the countrys bankrupt mayo the shit has'nt even hit the fan yet. happiest man in ireland- brian lenahan- re-elected. he has a ringside seat to what will be the most tempestious dail since the 1920s.

dont forget if the shinners dont get with modernisation they will suffer more defections

Bogball XV

Quote from: lawnseed on February 27, 2011, 12:41:32 AM

do you honestly think that edna can stick to the script for five years ff are gone. fg are next 2 years max. its not gonna work. labour will cave when the pressure of the cuts come to bear. 25 artics of 50euro notes that what 100 billion euro looks like. the countrys bankrupt mayo the shit has'nt even hit the fan yet. happiest man in ireland- brian lenahan- re-elected. he has a ringside seat to what will be the most tempestious dail since the 1920s.dont forget if the shinners dont get with modernisation they will suffer more defections
I seriously doubt that, he really doesn't look in good shape at the minute. 

I don't think Labour will have too many qualms about making cuts tbh, it's not as though they're left wing you know - unless a scandal of some sort arises this could last a fair while.

randomtask

I genuinely believe that this could be an historical day for both north and south, sinn fein seem to be getting great publicity and praise for the way they managed this election and when things go t*ts up with the bail out, sinn fein will stand tall and say we offered an alternative. These results will be a superb spring board to the next storment elections giving the shinners a fighting chance of having the first ministers job up north as well. Things are on the up for sinn fein big time!

Ulick

Should be said that some good independents like Mick Wallace & Thomas Pringle have been returned. I can see SF working closely with these people to close out FF as the main opposition.

andoireabu

lads if Sinn Féin do fairly well in the south elections this time, and are sitting in the wings next time around there is a fair chance they will have a big say in the south as well as being the biggest party in the north.  could there be a push for united ireland? not because of republican notions but because it might be the best idea for all who live here.  the north isn't really having the best of times and Cameron isn't really on the ball so change is coming imo.  Sinn Féin don't want the IMF here which I am guessing most people don't want as well as coming closer to being the largest party up here (northern ireland)  at the minute.  Can see them having a massive say in thing in the near future.  What do you all think?
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

DUBSFORSAM1

The biggest issue that I see happening is the following -

1 - SF in the North going in with the DUP and forcing through massive cuts
2 - SF in South whinging about every cut that takes place....

It will be interesting to see when the papers/media start comparing the SF comments in the South on cuts etc to the comments in the North about running the country within budget and making cuts...

pintsofguinness

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on February 27, 2011, 09:34:34 AM
The biggest issue that I see happening is the following -

1 - SF in the North going in with the DUP and forcing through massive cuts
2 - SF in South whinging about every cut that takes place....

It will be interesting to see when the papers/media start comparing the SF comments in the South on cuts etc to the comments in the North about running the country within budget and making cuts...
Sinn fein in the north will just blame the budget from Westminster for the cuts.

It's funny that you think FG won't f**k this up
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

Quote from: randomtask on February 26, 2011, 10:28:29 PM
I think that this election will have a big bearing in the north particulary for nationalist voters. Will nationalists see the gains made by sinn fein and think that a united ireland is now possible through the medium of politics? will some SDLP voters transfer their vote to sinn fein because of this?
Significantly, SF's showing in the election was without mentioning the constitutional issue at all. They know that the southern electorate would have had no interest.

They had plenty of room for growth in the south whereas they've already had the growth in the north. There are some votes the will never take and I'd imagine the balance between SF and the SDLP has levelled out at this stage.

Big Puff

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 27, 2011, 11:34:47 AM
Quote from: randomtask on February 26, 2011, 10:28:29 PM
I think that this election will have a big bearing in the north particulary for nationalist voters. Will nationalists see the gains made by sinn fein and think that a united ireland is now possible through the medium of politics? will some SDLP voters transfer their vote to sinn fein because of this?
Significantly, SF's showing in the election was without mentioning the constitutional issue at all. They know that the southern electorate would have had no interest.

They had plenty of room for growth in the south whereas they've already had the growth in the north. There are some votes the will never take and I'd imagine the balance between SF and the SDLP has levelled out at this stage.

Doubt it, expect SF to grow in the may election and the stoops to shrink.

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on February 26, 2011, 10:52:29 PM
people dont forget that the stoops did their best to snuggle up to finna fail but got a kick in the mouth
I thought it was Ritchie who drew a line firmly under that when she won the leadership. I don't think anyone got a "kick in the mouth". But don't let the truth get in the way.