Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL/MAYO

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 29, 2014, 11:30:57 PM
Have you a site FL?? Some crazy money being asked for small plots there on daft, 50-100k for less than an acre

Nothing yet Mac,  I know it's expensive but from talking to friends and family it's the spot to move to if returning to Mayo. 

macdanger2

Are you from around westport? If not, getting planning for a house could be tricky, there are details of who is eligible in the co development plan. Pretty detailed guidelines on what is and isn't allowed on a house as well although you don't need to look too far too see examples of the guidelines being completely ignored

FL/MAYO

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 30, 2014, 10:02:42 AM
Are you from around westport? If not, getting planning for a house could be tricky, there are details of who is eligible in the co development plan. Pretty detailed guidelines on what is and isn't allowed on a house as well although you don't need to look too far too see examples of the guidelines being completely ignored

I have heard of the residency clauses in some parts of the area (at least 5 years) but not familiar with any other building restrictions. I'll have to check out the Co. Development plan.

the Deel Rover

Don't mind those residency clauses fl sure tis Ireland we are talking about and there are always loophole s
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

The Last Fifteen

Anyone willing to post up a step by step guide on what is involved in securing planning permission for a site in the North? Have the land just the need the site passed shortly.

Cheers

93-DY-SAM

Depends on your site. Is your site:

1. a replacement dwelling
2. an infill site i.e. between two existing houses
3. a site on a farm which you are actively farming for the last 6+ years and no site has been passed on the farm in the last 10 years. Actively farming means SFP has been claimed on the ground for at least 6 years.

offtheground

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on October 01, 2014, 12:55:28 AM
u are actively farming for the last 6+ years and no site has been passed on the farm in the last 10 years. Actively farming means SFP has been claimed on the ground for at least 6 years.

Are you sure about this? my understanding is - farm established at least 6 years, and are currently actively farming. I'm not sure that they check that you have been actively farming for each of the past 6 years. They'll ask DARD how long the farm business ID has been established, and if there is currently Single Farm Payment being claimed.
its prob a grey area, but this is my understanding of it...

WeeDonns

Yep, check the consultation responses from DARD on any of the applications currently online.
DARD are asked;

• Has the farm Business Id identified on Form P1C been in existence for more than 6 years?
  • Has the business claimed Single Farm Payment (SFP), Less Favoured Area Compensatory Allowances (LFACA) or Agri Environment schemes in the last 6 years?
  • Comments?

QuoteAnyone willing to post up a step by step guide on what is involved in securing planning permission for a site in the North? Have the land just the need the site passed shortly.
Cheers

We've had outline planning in since May...

For us it was

• Print off & Complete planning application Form
  • Print off & Complete PC1 Form *
  • Copy farm Business Maps*
  • Print off ordnance survey map of land marking outline of land owned in blue & site applied for in red
  • Post with cheque

*applying for a dwelling on a farm

offtheground

Yeah, but its abit grey - "Has the business claimed .....in the last 6 years"

I'd read this as having claimed at some point in the past 6 years, not necessarily 6 consecutive years of claiming..

The other concern is how this will be in a couple of years, given the changes to SFP next year, as the changes to the councils.

WeeDonns

the whole fecking process is full of grey areas hence why ours is taking so long...
Ours was just parked for a few months as they didn't know what to do with it as the policy doesn't directly deal with our situation, so looks like they're just going to refuse it to keep themselves right  :-[

Hereiam

Quote from: offtheground on October 01, 2014, 09:08:51 AM
Yeah, but its abit grey - "Has the business claimed .....in the last 6 years"

I'd read this as having claimed at some point in the past 6 years, not necessarily 6 consecutive years of claiming..

The other concern is how this will be in a couple of years, given the changes to SFP next year, as the changes to the councils.

This is my main concern which doesn't seem to have been addressed by either the planners or DARD.

To confirm the SFP or other payment has to be claimed for the 6 years in order for the business to be deemed active for that period.

Hereiam

Weedonns have you had any pervious experience in submitting planning applications or did you just apply for this yourself without the services of and architect or an architectural technologist.

WeeDonns

Quote from: Hereiam on October 01, 2014, 09:21:17 AM
Weedonns have you had any pervious experience in submitting planning applications or did you just apply for this yourself without the services of and architect or an architectural technologist.
No I've no experience but feel like an expert now having read through everything on the planning website numerous times!

You could certainly do it yourself, from looking online some people have. We had an architect friend help us - the main benefit being he picked the best site likely to get passed, while I would have originally picked another that I know now from reading everything, wouldn't have. He also drew up nice site location plans etc, but these aren't completely necessary.

In hindsight, I'd recommend getting someone with local planning knowledge who's in and out of the planning office regularly to keep the pressure on.
+ I've also noticed some application from architects who were former members of planning service where they've attached an additional sheet explaining how the application falls within this policy & complies with that etc etc

One of the guys on the board is a planning consultant

Hereiam

Without a doubt you would have been better off getting an architect to submit this as the planners look more favourably on applications submitted by professionals.

WeeDonns

See, that seems a little unfair.

Our agent happens to be a chartered architect with a number of award winning designs to his name, but as far as they're concerned he's just Joe Bloggs with a home address in Belfast...
Looking favourably on applications depending on who submitted them is not how a government department should operate