Is Enda Kenny really the man to save Ireland?

Started by rrhf, February 24, 2011, 03:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tubberman on February 24, 2011, 05:08:21 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 24, 2011, 04:51:01 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on February 24, 2011, 04:40:13 PM
What a load of over the top simplistic shite!

No one man runs the country ffs.
Enda Kenny is a poor debater and he doesn't have much of a notion when it comes to economics from what I can see.
But he's not (and won't be) the Minister for Finance or even the Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, so that doesn't bother me.
He doesn't have an ego, he is not out to be seen as the all-powerful. Instead, he assigns the most capable and most suited people to each portfolio and lets them get on with their job.
That is what is needed now. Not a dictator which is what some of you seem to think a leader is.

Just have a look back at where FG were when he took over, in every way - organisationally, financially (as a party), locally (town and county councils) and nationally (in the Dáil).
And look at where he has led them (and is likely to lead them after tomorrow).
That is how he should be measured.
I would have thought people would judge the man by his achievements, not his charisma or soundbites.
so good that a large rump of malcontents tried to overthrow him last year...

being great in mayo and his local electorate wont cut the mustard in economics or europe

The thing is, he's isn't considered a 'local TD' in the sense that Michael Ring would be.
Enda Kenny isn't the type that goes to every funeral, or promises to tar the road up to the house etc
And as I've already said, he won't have an economic portfolio, so you won't have to rely on him in those matters.
You will have to rely on him to appoint the most capable people to those portfolios. And I think his record in that respect is very good.
thats just it - he has not record to speak of
his own party (well a significant percentage) wanted him out
it doesnt bode well
he is a project co-ordinator (what I said at the outset an you are effectively saying the same) instead of a leader.
Maybe we dont need a leader, but imo to negotiate with europe etc we do.
unless he is going to send noonan instead of him.
a good move yes, but doesnt say much for inda.

Tubberman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 24, 2011, 05:21:34 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on February 24, 2011, 05:08:21 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 24, 2011, 04:51:01 PM
What a load of over the top simplistic shite!

No one man runs the country ffs.
Enda Kenny is a poor debater and he doesn't have much of a notion when it comes to economics from what I can see.
But he's not (and won't be) the Minister for Finance or even the Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, so that doesn't bother me.
He doesn't have an ego, he is not out to be seen as the all-powerful. Instead, he assigns the most capable and most suited people to each portfolio and lets them get on with their job.
That is what is needed now. Not a dictator which is what some of you seem to think a leader is.

Just have a look back at where FG were when he took over, in every way - organisationally, financially (as a party), locally (town and county councils) and nationally (in the Dáil).
I would have thought people would judge the man by his achievements, not his charisma or soundbites.
so good that a large rump of malcontents tried to overthrow him last year...

being great in mayo and his local electorate wont cut the mustard in economics or europe

The thing is, he's isn't considered a 'local TD' in the sense that Michael Ring would be.
Enda Kenny isn't the type that goes to every funeral, or promises to tar the road up to the house etc
And as I've already said, he won't have an economic portfolio, so you won't have to rely on him in those matters.
You will have to rely on him to appoint the most capable people to those portfolios. And I think his record in that respect is very good.
thats just it - he has not record to speak of
his own party (well a significant percentage) wanted him out
it doesnt bode well
he is a project co-ordinator (what I said at the outset an you are effectively saying the same) instead of a leader.
Maybe we dont need a leader, but imo to negotiate with europe etc we do.
unless he is going to send noonan instead of him.
a good move yes, but doesnt say much for inda.

Fair enough, depends how you view leadership I suppose.
I don't care if he's not seen as the 'main man' that delivers the good news (or least bad news is probably more accurate!).
As long as he steers the ship in the right direction and has the right people in the right places to get us where we need to go, I think he'll have done a great job.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

magpie seanie

Of the 3 - Martin, Gilmore and Kenny - you'd have to go with Kenny every time. What a country we have.

Nally Stand

They tried to give him the heave ho last year did they not? Surely FG's inevitable success tomorrow will be thanks in full to the ineptitude of FF rather than a testament to the "leadership" of Enda Kenny?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 24, 2011, 05:41:36 PM

They tried to give him the heave ho last year did they not? Surely FG's inevitable success tomorrow will be thanks in full to the ineptitude of FF rather than a testament to the "leadership" of Enda Kenny?

Sadly this is pretty much correct.

We always voted FF in the good/middling times (look after number one) and then vote FG (please God let them fix the mess created by FF) in a crisis. This has gone on for decades. The boom just lasted much longer this time.

We need to vote out FF permanently. Then we need a new alternative to emerge so we can replace FG with someone other than FF if FG don't perform.

This time though we are left with no option but to put FG into power.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

The same applies to any success for SF or Labour. If FF had done a good job, there's not a mission we'd be looking at a wholesale clear-out.

Minder

They tried to give him the heave ho last year did they not? Surely FG's inevitable success tomorrow will be thanks in full to the ineptitude of FF rather than a testament to the "leadership" of Enda
Kenny?

But SF won't benefit from voter apathy towards FF?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 24, 2011, 06:25:45 PM

The same applies to any success for SF or Labour. If FF had done a good job, there's not a mission we'd be looking at a wholesale clear-out.

Hence why I didn't claim SF's or Labour's rise is due to the good work of their party leaders. My post was in response to a ridiculous claim that FG's success tomorrow will be thanks to Inda's leadership over the last few years.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: Minder on February 24, 2011, 06:37:35 PM

They tried to give him the heave ho last year did they not? Surely FG's inevitable success tomorrow will be thanks in full to the ineptitude of FF rather than a testament to the "leadership" of Enda
Kenny?

But SF won't benefit from voter apathy towards FF?

::) Of course they will!! I don't remember claiming otherwise. I was posting in response to a discussion is about FG and Enda Kenny.

As stated in my reply to Maguire, my post was in response to a ridiculous claim that FG's success tomorrow will be thanks to Inda's leadership over the last few years. I didn't realise that by saying FG are benefiting from FF ineptitude, that I was also somehow saying that SF would not benefit from it as well!!

IolarCoisCuain

Where's you know who? Not like him not to throw him in front of the cannon in defence of Enda Kenny and the Fine Gael party.

muppet

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 24, 2011, 08:03:41 PM
Where's you know who? Not like him not to throw him in front of the cannon in defence of Enda Kenny and the Fine Gael party.

It has probably all become too much for tonight.

I have a vision of him in a room with a bottle of vodka, an iphone and that stupid nursery rhyme app.
MWWSI 2017

andoireabu

What's a sleeveen?  Have seen it on the board a few times but not sure of the meaning
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

muppet

Quote from: andoireabu on February 24, 2011, 08:15:47 PM
What's a sleeveen?  Have seen it on the board a few times but not sure of the meaning

http://www.slang.ie/index.php?county=Dublin&entry=sleeveen

Like a 'cute hoor' only less likable.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017