Hawkeye

Started by Orangemac, February 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Quote from: Hardy on March 30, 2011, 02:09:06 PM
I wasn't thinking about added-on time of itself, Jinxy. I understand and agree with the "minimum of" stipulation, though that's abused, too, by feigned injuries and tactical substitutions that are never properly timed by the ref.

My reference to the position of the ball was about the unwritten rule that you can never blow when a team is attacking (in case they'd get a score, presumably) whether time is actually up or not.

I thought the rulle in Meath was never blow when you're more than two yards from the gate?
Don't Panic

Hardy

The rule in Meath is never blow.

orangeman

A bit too late for Wexford potentially.

The GAA's management committee looks set to make a firm decision next month about whether or not the association should pursue the use of score-detection technology.

As another controversy over the legitimacy of a score erupted over the weekend after Limerick's contested winner from an Ian Ryan free against Wexford in Portlaoise, the technology debate was brought back into sharp focus once more.

The use of the technology has been in the pipeline since negotiations with Hawk Eye began last year, and now a firm decision on whether or not the experiment should proceed to a more formal footing is in the hands of management.

Cost is a huge issue, however, if the GAA are to roll it out across every championship venue over a particular weekend.

It is believed that a proposal to use the technology at Croke Park only may be put before management by the research committee who are liaising with Hawk Eye on the basis that a start must be made somewhere.

The same committee has already proposed that the height of the two uprights be raised to at least 13 metres from a current height of 10.69 metres.

Ryan's late free went over the upright, making it difficult to determine if it was a legitimate score.

One umpire, the former Longford referee Pat O'Toole, waved a wide but his fellow umpire insisted it was a score.

Speaking in Dublin yesterday, Kildare manager Kieran McGeeney said such decisions will continue to ruin games as long as there is no sufficient back-up for officials.

- Colm Keys

Jinxy

This is such bullshit.
Forget about Hawkeye.
It is not feasible and more to the point it is not even necessary.
HERE is the simple solution.

http://www.goalpostireland.com/
If you were any use you'd be playing.

David McKeown

Surely this would have the same problems we currently face when the ball goes higher than the net ?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

heffo

Quote from: under the bar on February 24, 2011, 11:51:11 PM
QuoteGood to see the GAA giving this a go.

Referees will get an instant result in terms of a score and will have the discretion to overrule this and this will cover scores only, so square balls, penalties will still be down to human decision making.

However if it means the days of teams losing games due to valid scores not counting and vice versa it can surely only be a good thing.

How in god's name would Hawkeye help in these situations?

How would it not?

If Hawkeye is installed it will flash green if it passes over the bar/line and red otherwise.

It's a computer program that won't rule on square balls, fellas falling over in the box or otherwise.

Jinxy

Quote from: David McKeown on July 27, 2011, 01:09:48 AM
Surely this would have the same problems we currently face when the ball goes higher than the net ?

Make the posts higher then.

Zulu

Hawkeye is the best solution here, sponsorship could cover most if not all the cost, a decision would be immediate and indisputable (afaik) so why not go for it?

Bingo

Is Hawkeye going to be installed in every county ground in the country? How much is this going to cost and my understanding of hawkeye from tennis and cricket is that it isn't a matter of a light going on and off, that it requires someone to operate it and run the analysis to get the result.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Zulu on July 27, 2011, 10:33:59 AM
Hawkeye is the best solution here, sponsorship could cover most if not all the cost, a decision would be immediate and indisputable (afaik) so why not go for it?
The goalposts linked by Jinxy would be a better solution.  They're 16m, normally posts are 11m and croker posts are 13m.  At 16m they're 15ft higher than most county grounds posts, that'd take almost all of the balls which are currently higher than the posts out (certainly in football anyway?).  The best thing about these is that they should be affordable by most clubs and certainly by every county.
Long term maintenance could be an issue, any other major drawbacks??

Jinxy

Tell me how Hawkeye will work in a a football/hurling scenario and tell me how it is a better option than simply installing side-nets, which can easily be done in every pitch in the country.

Bingo

Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2011, 11:09:53 AM

Tell me how Hawkeye will work in a a football/hurling scenario and tell me how it is a better option than simply installing side-nets, which can easily be done in every pitch in the country.

I agree. Hawkeye normally involves the ball making contact with something - tennis, the court with clearly defined lines; Cricket, the wicket with clearly defined stumps - in football the ball may not hit anything bar a players boot.

Make posts a standard height - more than at present and put side nets on, may not be perfect but it'll help greatly.

Jinxy

To be honest I think there is a section within the GAA who would only love to show how modern we are by installing Hawkeye in Croke Park.
However, Croke Park is just one pitch among hundreds.
Hawkeye can only be implemented at intercounty level but even that is not without significant problems.
Think of all the stadiums around the country that will get one championship game some years and no championship games in other years.
Can Hawkeye be installed a few days beforehand and then dismantled?
Does it have to be left in situ?
Who will maintain the necessary equipment?
It is a classic example of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
To be honest, I think the simple and most obvious solution i.e. the side-nets, is too low-tech and low-brow for some.
The whole thing is ridiculous.

Zulu

Afaik the tennis and Cricket crowd just do that for show, the decision is actually immediate. Club grounds don't need hawkeye so I don't think that should be part of the discussion. If sponsorship can cover the cost or at least make the difference in cost between the two options minimal then why not go with a proven technology that doesn't involve unsightly nets and may not be suitable for some hurling shots? In addition, many county grounds are used by county teams for training and club games, therefore maintaining the nets may be more costly than initially thought.

Not sure I understand your question jinxy, but as I understand it, if the ball goes between the posts, regardless of height, there is an immediate signal whether it is a score or not and this can be relayed to the ref immediately. The trial went well so it must work without having to hit something and afaik it can be installed and dismantled in grounds when needed.

screenexile

Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2011, 11:09:53 AM

Well for a start we installed the side nets on our brand new pitch and "they're a great job, blah blah blah". Yeah sure didn't the wind get up and pull the posts at least a further metre apart each! We soon got rid of them!

If Hawkeye is tried and tested in other sports then go for it I say. Even if we only have limited use of it sure at least we're trying to improve the situation. I can't see why Hawkeye couldn't be installed in every County Ground for Inter County football and Hurling games then at least every Championship game in Football and Hurling would be covered.