Hawkeye

Started by Orangemac, February 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on March 21, 2013, 03:08:37 PM
So, is this happening or what?

Making it's debut for Dubs 1st championship game

Armaghgeddon

Save themselves some money and just get officials who can see.

NAG1

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on March 21, 2013, 04:08:28 PM
Save themselves some money and just get officials who can see.

Sure where's the fun in that, sure wont be be great for your next league game at home, when you have two 'neutral' umpires dragged from the crowd and if they disagree politely on a dubious pointed kicked from way out on the side line, the ref can turn to the big screen on the side of your club house and wait for Hawkeye's verdict, oh wait that's right........

Walter Cronc

Are the umpires in todays Championship games official county referees or just pals of the ref??

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: heffo on March 21, 2013, 03:50:38 PM

What about Kildare v Offaly?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

heffo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 21, 2013, 05:29:13 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 21, 2013, 03:50:38 PM

What about Kildare v Offaly?

Forgot about ye, sorry

johnneycool

Got to see Hawkeye in action on Saturday in the Christy Ring final, Kerry had a free waved wide by the umpires, Kerry lad kicked up a fuss, although reports have it the Dicky Murphy in the review room flagged it to the referee who made the TV signal. low and behold up it came on the big screen and was indeed a point, wee lad asked me why they were showing tennis on the big screen  :D

As the keeper was waiting to take the puck out, it didn't delay the game that long and I thought it worked well.

AZOffaly

Pretty illuminating I thought. There were two instances there at the hurling I think? One was given wide and was a point, and the other vice versa.

That's 3 games, with two of them having incorrect calls overturned by Hawkeye.

Fairly indicative of what's probably happening in club games up and down the country.

Hound

Quote from: johnneycool on June 11, 2013, 10:58:34 AM
Got to see Hawkeye in action on Saturday in the Christy Ring final, Kerry had a free waved wide by the umpires, Kerry lad kicked up a fuss, although reports have it the Dicky Murphy in the review room flagged it to the referee who made the TV signal. low and behold up it came on the big screen and was indeed a point, wee lad asked me why they were showing tennis on the big screen  :D

As the keeper was waiting to take the puck out, it didn't delay the game that long and I thought it worked well.
Glad to see the referee over-ruling the umpire.

I think Hawkeye is a great idea, but after the Dublin-Westmeath game I thought there was one glaring weakness - the umpires! They seemed to be still in control. It seemed they had to admit to being unsure before referring it to Hawkeye. There were two Glennon shots in particular that happened within a minute of each other - the first was given over, the second wide. Both were dubious in that they were very high and close to the upright, and there were small protests from Dublin fans behind the goal for the first and from Glennon for the second. Maybe the umpires were right, but I doubt they were certain.

johnneycool

Quote from: Hound on June 11, 2013, 11:28:38 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 11, 2013, 10:58:34 AM

Glad to see the referee over-ruling the umpire.

I think Hawkeye is a great idea, but after the Dublin-Westmeath game I thought there was one glaring weakness - the umpires! They seemed to be still in control. It seemed they had to admit to being unsure before referring it to Hawkeye. There were two Glennon shots in particular that happened within a minute of each other - the first was given over, the second wide. Both were dubious in that they were very high and close to the upright, and there were small protests from Dublin fans behind the goal for the first and from Glennon for the second. Maybe the umpires were right, but I doubt they were certain.

I think its a 'fourth official' or video ref who calls the ref..
http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/spoton-hawkeye-makes-winning-impression-29334632.html

Hound

Quote from: johnneycool on June 11, 2013, 11:58:08 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/spoton-hawkeye-makes-winning-impression-29334632.html

That sounds to me like there were one or two wrong decisions in the football that the umpires didnt refer to hawkeye, so the 4th officials are now taking matters into their own hands. As McEneaney says, hopefully umpires will start doing the referring in future, but its good to know the 4th official should be at hand to tell the ref when the umpire gets it wrong but still says they're sure and refuse to refer.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hound on June 11, 2013, 12:15:11 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 11, 2013, 11:58:08 AM

That sounds to me like there were one or two wrong decisions in the football that the umpires didnt refer to hawkeye, so the 4th officials are now taking matters into their own hands. As McEneaney says, hopefully umpires will start doing the referring in future, but its good to know the 4th official should be at hand to tell the ref when the umpire gets it wrong but still says they're sure and refuse to refer.

It's not the 4th official but the "review official", who is sitting in the concrete bunker monitoring the Hawkeye software package, that communicates to the referee that an error has occurred. Every shot at the posts in the 70 plus minutes comes up on Hawkeye as a score or a miss. If there is a difference with what the umpire awards then the review official communicates to the referee that it's necessary to communicate with Hawkeye.

The one grey area with Hawkeye is that it judges anything above the posts on a calm day, i.e. the virtual extensions of the posts are stationary. If it's windy the ball might appear to be inside the virtual extension of the post but according to Hawkeye it would be outside or have dissected it. Hard to blame the umpire in this instance and the more of these cases the more the umpires will look to use Hawkeye I'd say. And who could blame them.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

If it was there when that Morley hoor kicked the scoring wide back in 2004, we'd have been spared 'Marooned', and ye'd still know yer place in the Midlands pecking order, instead of usurping top spot!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 11, 2013, 02:40:13 PM
If it was there when that Morley hoor kicked the scoring wide back in 2004, we'd have been spared 'Marooned', and ye'd still know yer place in the Midlands pecking order, instead of usurping top spot!

Go away you and your usurping. No need for Hawkeye in your own backyard when last we met.  ;D

Will ye have a team at all for the backdoor?  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

johnneycool

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 11, 2013, 02:49:01 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 11, 2013, 02:40:13 PM

Go away you and your usurping. No need for Hawkeye in your own backyard when last we met.  ;D

Will ye have a team at all for the backdoor?  :P

Is it not time you changed your footnote there Croí?