Hawkeye

Started by Orangemac, February 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

The gaa will claim referee mistake and hide in the rule book. The reality is that that was a point in every other ground in Ireland but croke park. Why because a bundle of eejits think that a system and set of rules only available in Croke park is somehow good for the gaa. In the north we used to believe there was different rules for croke park now we know thatto be true.

Zulu

Bizarre post. One mistake, caused by human error, does not make Hawkeye a bad thing. There is no difference between the rules in Croke Park and elsewhere by the way.

johnneycool

Marty going a bit OTT on the Hawkeye thing even if it has lost a bit of credibility, something Marty wouldn't know much about;

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/martin-breheny-time-to-open-the-cage-and-wave-goodbye-to-hawkeye-29515361.html

21 August 2013
Bye, bye, Hawk-Eye, you didn't work. Flap your broad wings and take your beady peepers elsewhere. You were engaged by the GAA to remove the human error factor from score-detection in Croke Park and you failed.

Comically, the reason for your malfunction (at least in so far as your bosses want us to believe) was human error, the very problem your technology was meant to eradicate.

Unhappy with the reliability of 14 human eyes when it came to deciding whether the ball was inside or outside the post, the GAA went hi-tech. Hawk-Eye was your only boyo. No more embarrassed glances between umpires, no more 'Sunday Game' reruns of disputed points, no more calls for the GAA to do something about the problem.

Hawk-Eye would solve it all, initially in Croke Park and possibly later at all county grounds. Now, a little over two months after going 'live' in Croke Park, the system has suffered a catastrophic malfunction, which resulted in the worst possible outcome.

BELIEVED

Most people who were in Croke Park for the start of the Galway-Limerick minor game last Sunday believed that Barry's Nash shot had sailed over the bar. Even Galway goalkeeper Cathal Tuohy seemed to accept it as he tapped his hurley off the crossbar.

Hawk-Eye judged it correctly too, showing the ball to be inside the post, only for the MISS sign to flash up immediately. That, we were told shortly afterwards, was caused by "an inconsistent graphic generated by Hawk-Eye". In other words, a c**k-up. The system was switched off for the senior game and, by Monday, Hawk-Eye's spinmeisters explained that the problem was caused by a wrongly adjusted setting which catered for football rather than hurling.

The message was that the technology was reliable, but human error had failed it. Mistakes by individuals are as natural as life itself, but if a company is offering a product whose main attraction is the elimination of human error, how can it then blame human error when something goes wrong?

As bad luck would have it, Hawk-Eye's blip came in a game which ended level, turning Limerick's disallowed point into a major issue. Limerick chose to appeal the result since they outscored Galway in normal time, yet were forced into extra-time, where they lost.

Technically, Limerick are correct, but then Galway could contend that the free which brought Limerick level in normal time should not have awarded because (a) no foul had been committed and (b) the final whistle should have been blown at least 20 seconds earlier. Neither of those arguments would stand a chance on the basis that the referee's decision is final, whereas it wasn't in the case of Limerick's 'point,' which was adjudicated on by bungling Hawk-Eye.

I have had reservations about the GAA's link-up with Hawk-Eye from the start for a number of reasons. Firstly, other more traditional and much less costly methods of improving score-detection reliability had not been exhausted.

Secondly, it was wrong to install it in Croke Park only, albeit for a two-year trial period, because it meant that the All-Ireland championships were being run under different rules, depending on venues.

Thirdly, the GAA had to take Hawk-Eye's word on reliability and we all saw last Sunday how dependable it really is.

Fourthly, it's estimated that if Hawk-Eye was installed at all county grounds (and surely that would have to happen if the two-year experiment in Croke Park were deemed a success) it would cost €500,000 per annum, money that could be spent much more wisely across a number of areas.

On June 17, I queried in the 'Monday Debate' in this paper why, if Hawk-Eye was so dependable, there was a need to experiment with it over two seasons.

Less than two months later, it delivered a blatantly wrong call. Assurances were given on Monday that Hawk-Eye "will be fully reliable for all future games".

Really? Are we to take their word on that and move on?

In my view, it should not be used ever again. It was given a chance to show its value, but blew it. It's time to open the cage and let the embarrassed bird fly.

muppet

I'd say Martin is from the take off the corner forward and never play him again school.

He is lucky that he is one of those who does't need to learn from mistakes, unlike the rest of us.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

If the GAA had spurned Hawk Eye when they were hawking (ho ho) it around, Breheny would have denounced the GAA for being stuck in the 19th century. His contrarian ways get tiresome after a while - and I remember his Irish/Sunday Press days.

Bord na Mona man

In my head, I've somehow merged Martin Breheny and former TD Frank Fahey as being the one person.

Jinxy

I stopped reading at 'Martin Breheny'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 21, 2013, 12:16:03 PM
In my head, I've somehow merged Martin Breheny and former TD Frank Fahey as being the one person.
I think he's a first cousin of Phil Space, the legendary Private Eye journalist. 

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Paddy Power special

"Only Applies during the Monaghan U18 v Mayo U18 & Mayo v Tyrone Games. Bets will be settled as a winner if a hawkeye error is shown live on RTE"

Hawk-Eye to Malfunction on Sunday in Croke Park

50-1
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2013, 03:03:54 PM
I think he's a first cousin of Phil Space, the legendary Private Eye journalist.

I would have pegged him as a relation of Polly Filler. Everyone around him is a Useless Simon.

macdanger2

Quote from: johnneycool on August 21, 2013, 11:43:43 AM
Marty going a bit OTT on the Hawkeye thing even if it has lost a bit of credibility, something Marty wouldn't know much about;

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/martin-breheny-time-to-open-the-cage-and-wave-goodbye-to-hawkeye-29515361.html

21 August 2013
Bye, bye, Hawk-Eye, you didn't work.......

Sh*te journalist, sh*te paper, can't understand why anyone bothers reading it

blast05

Its interesting to note that Breheny typed out that article on a typewriter ..... cos he stopped using a PC back in the mid '90's when he typed a password incorrectly 3 times and then threw the PC out the window while roaring "bloody technology".

ballinaman

Can anyone clarify this? If any part of ball is deemed to have hit post, it's a miss ya?

macdanger2

From that pic on the screen it looked to be a point as the ball is shown inside the post but when the angle swung around to the left it showed as being outside the post - not sure how it works.

In realtime, I thought it was wide