Hawkeye

Started by Orangemac, February 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: western exile on July 13, 2013, 01:10:14 AM
Quote from: Hardy on June 11, 2013, 03:44:49 PM
It seems they've got the implementation right, with all possibilities covered, as far as I can see. The umpires can call for Hawkeye if they're unsure, the refeee can call for it if he suspects the umpires' call was wrong and the "Review Official" can notify the referee if Hawkeye disagrees with the umpires' decision, even if play has continued. 

It's all here.

So is the umpire pointless?
;)

Always was. What we need now is referee replacement technology that can detect the "grabbing the arm" cheat.

Zulu

Use of hawkeye suspended in CP today due to inconsistencies.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Zulu on August 18, 2013, 02:31:03 PM

There will be some craic if Limerick minors draw or lose by a point.

Syferus

It must be a big knock to Hawkeye's confidence to be subbed out so early on such a big day.

Whishtup

Quote from: Whishtup on July 12, 2013, 08:22:22 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 12, 2013, 08:44:36 AM
Quote from: Whishtup on July 12, 2013, 07:49:50 AM
Am I the only one who is not impressed with Hawkeye?  I can't understand why they would spend money creating a virtual image of Croke Park when you have eight cameras monitoring the fight of the ball.  Graphics look so outdated-like a Commodore 64 game or something.  Modern visual data acquisition is so powerful that I can't understand why they can't replay actual footage of the ball going over or wide, with virtual limits superimposed on that image. 

For the amount of times that it will actually be used, would it be worth the additional investment for frills like that?

How much did it cost?  Surely it cost a load to pay programmers to produce the 3d graphical images of Croker?  I just think that unless we are looking at the real thing there is always the margin for error-cameras losing position, equipment going out of calibration, etc. 
If the rotating image is the equivalent of reality then it must be easier to use the actual image.  There could be a plausible reason for not using the actual image-any techies out there?

Only a matter of time...

Asal Mor

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 18, 2013, 02:37:59 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 18, 2013, 02:31:03 PM

There will be some craic if Limerick minors draw or lose by a point.

Well they drew and lost in extra-time but the ref must have had the Hawkeye error in mind when he gave Limerick the last free at the end of normal time.

Orior

Many of us IT people on gaaboard will be tut-tutting at this.

Do they not do tests before the start of big matches? I suspect someone accidentally kicked something and knocked the whole kip and kaboodle out of whack. It isnt the first time such a thing happened. Remember the Hubble telescope 'oops' moment?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

easytiger95

I've seen it happen at tennis tournaments were Hawkeye can be suspended. Though I think that this could merely be a graphic error, in that the technology itself was giving the correct result (i.e. showing the ball go through the posts), but it was in the relaying of it that the error occurred. It might just be someone with an itchy finger pressing the wrong button. They need to get protocols in place for this (if there is an operator in place with this kit there should a radio comms link with the ref).

Anyone who has been watching the Ashes this season can see the problems that over reliance on technology can cause ( and I'm speaking as someone who would have been gung ho for it to be used) I see there is controversy in the senior game over a point allowed to Limerick. Anyone have a tin opener for this can of worms?

Whishtup

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 18, 2013, 05:06:46 PM
I've seen it happen at tennis tournaments were Hawkeye can be suspended. Though I think that this could merely be a graphic error, in that the technology itself was giving the correct result (i.e. showing the ball go through the posts), but it was in the relaying of it that the error occurred. It might just be someone with an itchy finger pressing the wrong button. They need to get protocols in place for this (if there is an operator in place with this kit there should a radio comms link with the ref).

Anyone who has been watching the Ashes this season can see the problems that over reliance on technology can cause ( and I'm speaking as someone who would have been gung ho for it to be used) I see there is controversy in the senior game over a point allowed to Limerick. Anyone have a tin opener for this can of worms?

They're surely not using human intervention to make the final call?  Vision system sofware is so highly advanced these days that you can track an object of any colour using blob analysis and neural networks.  Look at what you can do with a Kinect.   The graphical display and result is a sham to make us think that the decision is automated-it clearly isn't.  The graphical display is also poor by modern standards.  There were several contentious points in the minor game today so it is a pretty important requirement for hurling...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Whishtup on August 18, 2013, 07:49:18 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 18, 2013, 05:06:46 PM

They're surely not using human intervention to make the final call?  Vision system sofware is so highly advanced these days that you can track an object of any colour using blob analysis and neural networks.  Look at what you can do with a Kinect.   The graphical display and result is a sham to make us think that the decision is automated-it clearly isn't.  The graphical display is also poor by modern standards.  There were several contentious points in the minor game today so it is a pretty important requirement for hurling...

I've a fair bit of knowledge on vision system and sensors through work and this hawkeye seems to be the most over engineered method possible to do this job. Seems more interested in aesthetics and fancy graphics than being a cost effective solution. Anyway, the first things that should have been done, before this Hawkeye nonsense is as follows...

Make goalposts 10 feet higher.
Paint goal posts black or blue (anything but white) or use a black/blue football
Use normal TV playback to determine any dodgy ones.

I bet that would clarify 95% of cases for a fraction of 250k.

Whishtup

I've always thought that a combined image from two cameras just above the angle the crossbar, with the limit of their field of view perfectly in line with the upright (looking up into the sky, slightly facing each other) would tell a lot of scores. 

Captain Obvious

For error like that i think a replay should be offered.

Whishtup

I think so-near the end of full time Galway got a point that a working hawkeye may have judged wide, too.

The Insider

Whole project should be abandoned now, once it wasn't available in ALL grounds it should never been allowed in Croke Park . Only done to pamper critics and journalists . Shame that it happened in a minor game as more than likely it will be forgotten in a couple of days ,but had it happened in the senior game the s**t would have hit the fan. Don't know if anyone questioned Clare's goal but on the live showing and replay I can't figure out how it ended up in the net .

Wildweasel74

Limerick defender either tapped it with his foot or edge of the hurl, as he was coming in, it went underneath the keeper and into the net, own goal!!